Speed Cam Detector

Sheep_Flavour

Hey All.

how are you?

picking up my first ever 350z this week.

While I would class myself as a good driver, I have been looking for a while at some speed camera Decs like Snooper. I just wondered if anyone had ever used them be if they think they are worth the money?

i was thinking of getting a dash cam but I would have a lot of things working off my car.

Speed camera detectors these days are pretty much as waste of money. I have a Valentine One which ive had for as long as I can remember and is highly regarded as one of the best out there. Back in the "olden days" fixed speed cameras were all radar based and the Valentine happily picks them up from about 1/2 mile away and alerts you with virtually no false alerts. However, for the last 15 years or more all the new cameras like the Truvelo ones are all infra-red and so any radar based detector is useless against them.

Thats fixed cameras. Mobile cameras are laser, and units like the Valentine One will detect this and alert you, but with laser, they only have to hit your car with it and they already know your speed before the detector has alerted you. The only way around that is laser jammers which start getting into dodgy illegal territory.

To get around the modern speed cameras, some radar detector companies have branched out, adding functionality where they can store the locations of all fixed cameras and then based upon the units gps location it can alert you in advance. However, this is where free apps like Waze come in.  Waze has all the locations for fixed cameras in it already as well as being an excellent sat nav app. Its driven by users who can upload any mobile speed cameras they see as well as accidents, roadblocks etc. I dont go anywhere without having Waze on in my car, its saved me hours of being stuck in traffic and I cant remember the last time I saw a mobile speed trap it didnt already know about.

There are other systems, such as blu-eye which relies upon a different approach. This detects the police radios they use and alerts you. A few years back this might have been of use, but all emergancy services used the same system, so you would have no idea if the alert was a police speed trap, an ambulance or even a traffic warden. The police have since been switching their radio system to a 4G based system which will render these type of "detectors" useless.

So in summary. Just download Waze an use that for free!

• Thanks 3

On 21/07/2020 at 14:16, HEADPHONES said:

So is Waze better than the camera location alerts on the Google maps nav app?

Google own Waze, so I suspect the alerts are probably exactly the same. I've not used the google maps nav for a very long time, but does it also show accidents, broken down cars & hazards also? If so google are probably using the Waze datafeed.

• Thanks 1

On 21/07/2020 at 10:10, rabbitstew said:

Speed camera detectors these days are pretty much as waste of money. I have a Valentine One which ive had for as long as I can remember and is highly regarded as one of the best out there. Back in the "olden days" fixed speed cameras were all radar based and the Valentine happily picks them up from about 1/2 mile away and alerts you with virtually no false alerts. However, for the last 15 years or more all the new cameras like the Truvelo ones are all infra-red and so any radar based detector is useless against them.

Thats fixed cameras. Mobile cameras are laser, and units like the Valentine One will detect this and alert you, but with laser, they only have to hit your car with it and they already know your speed before the detector has alerted you. The only way around that is laser jammers which start getting into dodgy illegal territory.

To get around the modern speed cameras, some radar detector companies have branched out, adding functionality where they can store the locations of all fixed cameras and then based upon the units gps location it can alert you in advance. However, this is where free apps like Waze come in.  Waze has all the locations for fixed cameras in it already as well as being an excellent sat nav app. Its driven by users who can upload any mobile speed cameras they see as well as accidents, roadblocks etc. I dont go anywhere without having Waze on in my car, its saved me hours of being stuck in traffic and I cant remember the last time I saw a mobile speed trap it didnt already know about.

There are other systems, such as blu-eye which relies upon a different approach. This detects the police radios they use and alerts you. A few years back this might have been of use, but all emergancy services used the same system, so you would have no idea if the alert was a police speed trap, an ambulance or even a traffic warden. The police have since been switching their radio system to a 4G based system which will render these type of "detectors" useless.

So in summary. Just download Waze an use that for free!

Thank you that’s really helpful