Daily drive suggestions

ewan221

With work I do pretty big miles - 10k in last 3 months. Not wanting to pile on the miles to the pending 370 
So plan is to find something relatively cheap but reliable and comfortable for long drives. 
Any suggestions? Roughly £5k budget 

C-Class would be a good shout too, epically comfortable seats in those. A Class too, but almost certainly more expensive to buy than the C. 

Wouldn’t even look at a Swift for long drives. Civic maybe, but I’d rather get RWD so that way you at least have the option of a fun drive should you find yourself in that position at any point. 

On 14/07/2020 at 05:04, Ekona said:

320D. 

/thread

1000% agree.

Ive been driving an 05' E90 320d with 170k on the clock for the last 3 months (my wife's car).  Its quick and fun to drive - more fun than my 5.0 Mustang tbh.  Hydraulic steering is lovely.  I enjoy driving it so much i've booked a track day at Donnington next week and i'm taking that and not my 'stang!

17 hours ago, ewan221 said:

Cheers - never thought about a civic. Not sure how comfortable a swift would be as motorway car ? Was 4 hours in car yesterday and that’s pretty normal 

I had a 2.2 icdti (mk8 version) type s civic, was great fun, cheap to run and had a bit of oomph about it 

I've been tempted to pick up another and make the Z a weekend toy

21 hours ago, marzman said:

1000% agree.

Ive been driving an 05' E90 320d with 170k on the clock for the last 3 months (my wife's car).  Its quick and fun to drive - more fun than my 5.0 Mustang tbh.  Hydraulic steering is lovely.  I enjoy driving it so much i've booked a track day at Donnington next week and i'm taking that and not my 'stang!

I put 157k miles over a 6 year period on a 3 month old 2006 E90 330d auto back in 2006, and it was a great mile muncher for sure. I do like the 3 series and I've also had a 2006 E90 330i and a 2009 E92 M3. 

As you mention the Hydraulic steering is lovely in them. :thumbs: Really good all round cars I reckon. 

• Like 1

mannn, maybe things have changed with the civic and civic estate but i wouldn't recommend anything short of a soft Rover 75 or jaguar type suspension to anyone with back or hip problems. 

Depends what level of comfort is doable

Its not just about motorways. Theres also town and city roads and the awful judder you feel within your bones when you smack a couple of craters mated together :lol:

On 19/07/2020 at 11:59, GranTurismoEra said:

mannn, maybe things have changed with the civic and civic estate but i wouldn't recommend anything short of a soft Rover 75 or jaguar type suspension to anyone with back or hip problems. 

Or perhaps the air suspension system from the Bentley Arnage/Continental? ;) And double glazing, 18 way adjustable massage seats and draft free 4 zone aircon?
Well under budget: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007201441463 
About on budget: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-12-VW-PHAETON-3-0-V6-TDI-DIESEL-4-MOTION-SWB-AUTO-PHANTOM-BLACK-BLK/264800044635?hash=item3da750065b:g:HHUAAOSwS1xfBZKR

Seriously, the best car Ive ever owned and Ive got an F355 on the drive at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If comfort is a major concern then I'd say Volvos are worth a punt, used market has plenty of S/V60s and S/V40s. Seats are always very comfy and if you avoid R Design (sportier suspension) trim then you should be alright. If diesel is your thing then there are loads of high mileage examples to boot and they tend to go on for quite a while, just avoid any 1.6D and try to get a five cylinder over the newer with four if you can.

Just my 2 cents, I have a daily Volvo and can sit in it for 3-5 hours without stopping. Friends have commented on the seat comfort.