Have you come back to a Zed after a more powerful car?

HEADPHONES

I have a friend with quite a collection of cars.

Aston Martin Rapide.

Modded Ford Mustang convertible.

Tesla model 3 p.

Stage 3 tuned R35.

VW Passat.

Classic MGb.

We were chatting and he said for 90% of the driving he does, eg the commute or going to the shops, he gets the most fun out of his classic MG!

On normal roads he gets to wring out the engine, go through the gears and really feel like he's "driving" whereas alot of his other cars are barely stretching their legs.

I feel that the 350z has a modest amount of poke, enough for the smiles but not so much that you can't give it a good little workout.

What higher spec cars have you had that on papar make the Zed look redundant, but preferred moving to the Zed for a more involving drive?

There is a lot to be said for having relatively under powered cars but which handle well so you can push them to their limits without straying all too easily into license loss territory.  Those with big bhp numbers under the bonnet might go down well in the bragging rights, but on the road offer little involvement for drivers unless used on track. 

I must have owned over 50 cars in my driving time and certainly the 3 Zeds gave me tremendous fun and certainly were at the top end of the grin factor, especially when on road trips with other other Zeds.

• Like 3

My DB9 never gelled with me although it was a nice car. Probably the colour looking back.

Aston.jpg.0f0172ae5e2f5b1bf416b2ac0b3c6d2f.jpg

Same with my XJL but that was due to local dealership being a lot less than cooperative.

1293923589_Jag3.jpg.ee815e8bd5e663a10e1037c216137d0d.jpg

• Like 2

Pound for pound, the MX5 is most fun car I’ve ever driven. Definitely doesn’t need any more than the 160bhp it came from the factory with, and is plenty quick enough for fun on UK roads. 

Power isn’t everything. Weight is far more important imho. 

• Like 3

The RX8, pound for pound, was the most usable car I’ve ever had, with the caveat, only on flat type roads.  On the Stelvio Pass, it was sh1te.  A MX5 is on my radar, but, again, with the caveat that it’s a fun, useable type car, but totally impractical as a GT.

Both my 370’s we’re competent GT’s but the compromise was not a car you would GT in.

Mustang, torque, proper GT, comfortable and uncomplicated, would be my choice over the previous.  

Looking for a F type or similar for a 3rd car but only in convertible mode, more for enjoying the dry weather.

wouldnt contemplate a ‘classic’, as too unreliable, not a Euro tourer and mostly, uncomfortable

• Like 1

I owned Zed's. Then had a brief fling with an Audi RS3 which was probably one of the fastest point to point cars you can get. But it had no soul and to get any excitement from it you needed to be at license losing speeds. So I came back to Zeds.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ekona said:

Pound for pound, the MX5 is most fun car I’ve ever driven. Definitely doesn’t need any more than the 160bhp it came from the factory with, and is plenty quick enough for fun on UK roads. 

My mate set himself a challenge to get a fun car for a grand that he can tinker with. Got an NB last week I spent all day polishing cleaning it and it looks awesome! Love sitting in it great position and drivability all for a grand!

• Like 1

I've had a X5 4.8iS/E92 M3/TVR Cerbera 4.5 which were all more powerful than my 370Z, but what attracted me to it was how much I loved my old S14a 200SX(modded to around 250bhp). 

I didn't buy my 370Z for its performance, because compared to many turbo engined cars nowadays the 370Z is actually quite slow in comparison. I just seem to have a real soft spot for a Nissan performance car, and I just really enjoy owning and driving them for sure. B)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ebized said:

There is a lot to be said for having relatively under powered cars but which handle well so you can push them to their limits without straying all too easily into license loss territory.  Those with big bhp numbers under the bonnet might go down well in the bragging rights, but on the road offer little involvement for drivers unless used on track. 

Agree with this and I really enjoy driving my Mini Cooper S in that regard. I can drive it pretty much flat out(it only has 189bhp!) and not worry too much about handing my licence in. Plus it feels relatively small and light, and I really like that about it too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee370Z said:

Agree with this and I really enjoy driving my Mini Cooper S in that regard. I can drive it pretty much flat out(it only has 189bhp!) and not worry too much about handing my licence in. Plus it feels relatively small and light, and I really like that about it too. 

I love my Cooper S, great fun car which you can just absolutely wring its neck. Mines probably about 220bhp with its mods and that feels just about right with its handling. Plus I can park it anywhere and not really worry about it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ekona said:

Totally agree, of all the cars I have had my 2 mx5's were a hoot to drive (1st & 3rd Gen) although I will say that driving a 2+ ton Pickup that's faster than a Zed is also pretty good fun . . just the noise alone gets an 11/10 :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

@DoogyRev By the way Doogy, I've heard the Bronco will be available in Raptor designation with a V6 twin turbo petrol (probably 3 litre for USA, and 2.7 for Australia)

Looking forward the big reveal on Monday . . . and yes a twin turbo would be awesome. 

8 hours ago, coldel said:

My mate set himself a challenge to get a fun car for a grand that he can tinker with. Got an NB last week I spent all day polishing cleaning it and it looks awesome! Love sitting in it great position and drivability all for a grand!

What's an NB?

Any pics?

On 08/07/2020 at 22:18, Ekona said:

fiat 500c

41 minutes ago, StevoD said:

fiat 500c

Ha ha, I've got a 500C but with the 110 bhp Twin Air motor ... it is quite entertaining for an 875 cc motor, and it sounds nice too ...

Edited by ATTAK Z