MPS4 S or Eagle F1 Supersport?

Dave6188

Time has come to get some new tyres on my Z, seen reviews on both tyres and they are nearly identical in terms of grip and handling, road noise and comfort are better on the Michelin but wet handling and overall feel are better on the Supersports according to the reviews.

Stock tyre sizes are:

Front 245/40 R19

Rear275/35 R19

Eagle F1 comes in both those sizes, Michelins however do not, so I would have to go up 10mm front to a 255 and if I were to do that I would go up 10mm rear to a 285 aswell even though I'm not keen on deviating from stock size. 

Anyone had experience with the Eagle F1 supersports? Would love to hear some feedback on these tyres, more specifically on a 370z. 

Trying to get a hold of the Michelins is becoming an issue aswell, nowhere seems to have them in stock!

Price difference between the two is quite substantial aswell, Eagle F1 delivered is £610 the Michelins however are £750. For what is basically the same tyre in terms of performance why is there such a premium on the Michelin?

Any help or advice welcome. 

Both tyres are said to be amazing on the road, I do remember 245/35 being available in the 4S if that's any help.

I'd go for the Goodyear's if as you say are readily available in the tyre size you want. Plus a saving of £140 can always go towards better things. 

I have the supersports and love them, the decision apparently comes down to how stiff you like your sidewalls, I like a stiff sidewall so went for the supersports, if you want a more comfortable tyre go for the mp4s, you won't be dissaponted with either

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Both tyres are said to be amazing on the road, I do remember 245/35 being available in the 4S if that's any help.

I'd go for the Goodyear's if as you say are readily available in the tyre size you want. Plus a saving of £140 can always go towards better things. 

I won't go down in wall size on the fronts from a 40 to a 35 because it makes the arch gap look huge, I know it's only 2.5mm but it makes a huge difference. 

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time looking into this when I was making my decision on what Tyre to go for. From what I found is that the wear rate on the MPS4S is considerably better then the Eagle F1. Although the Michelin’s are more money nothing can compare. You pay for what you get essentially. You can find the MPS4S in the sizes you are after but you do have to look thoroughly. 

6 hours ago, Dave6188 said:

I won't go down in wall size on the fronts from a 40 to a 35 because it makes the arch gap look huge, I know it's only 2.5mm but it makes a huge difference. 

The tyre reduces by 12.25 mm in diameter so the arch gap increases by 6.125 mm. That's why it looks huge (and wrong).

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave6188 said:

Then you go up in width to account for that, remembering that profile is a percentage of width not an outright number on its own :) 

I’ve not tried the Goodyears, however I do tend to agree that any extra cost for the Michelins will be more than offset by how much longer they last. I’ve got 24000 miles out of a fronts of the MPS4 and I had 20000 out of the rears, which is even better than the old MPSS. Absolutely crazy wear rates from tyres that are soooo grippy. 

• Like 1

Only one comparison of wear and it's on the comments section of tyre reviews on YouTube, a lot of people have run both tyres and said there is no difference in terms of wear, I have seen a few comments about the Michelins being more comfortable but the Goodyear feels a more poised, sporty tyre. 

Ideally I want to buy from Blackcircles because I have a code for 15% off, getting a 285/35 R19 is difficult and they have no idea when it will be back in stock, they have the 255/40 R19 for the fronts in stock though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Pure assumption and far from factual

Let me put it into context for you, dear. 

Having tried 4x sets of Eagle F1 on 3x different cars, and 5x sets of MPS2/MPSS on 4x different cars, along with knowing the owners of the cars throughout that time along with their driving style compared with mine, every single time the Michelin lasted longer in a rough comparison than the Goodyears. 

Does that make the new tyres automatically longer lasting? Of course not. I’ve never said it did. What I’m using is previous historical first hand evidence to produce a reasonable hypothesis, it’s totally up to others to produce a scientific study if they do choose. For absolute clarity, as I’ve said to you many times, I’m sure the new Goodyears are excellent tyres and I’d love to try them. 

Have you tried them yet? Or the MPS4/MPS4S? 

On 07/07/2020 at 14:03, Eddie_r32 said:

I have the supersports and love them, the decision apparently comes down to how stiff you like your sidewalls, I like a stiff sidewall so went for the supersports, if you want a more comfortable tyre go for the mp4s, you won't be dissaponted with either

Roughly how many miles have you done on them? What tyres did you have on previously? 

How can it be up to me to prove your non factual claim to be wrong :lol: 

The old eagle F1 and the new F1 supersport are two completely different tyres, futhermore for two different segments of the market. One being a sports/comfort tyre and the other being a Ultra High Performance tyre. 

It's just isn't factual to make up a claim about a pair of tyres, going of past performance of an previous tyre. It's like thinking all old 911's handling and balance was rudimental, so all 911's after the 993 will be pigs too. Again just not factual to make that assumption prior to testing. 

Again the professional (reviews tyres for a living) tyre tester from tyre reviews online stated from his experience, he cant see any reason why the new F1 supersport shouldn't last equally as long as the MPS4S. 

I have MPSS on the rear of my 305z and MPS4 up front (18' RAYS) and they are both great tyres. For my 19's I went with the Continental SportContact 6 which look great. 

Edited by davey_83

21 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Again the professional (reviews tyres for a living) tyre tester from tyre reviews online stated from his experience, he cant see any reason why the new F1 supersport should last equally as long as the MPS4S. 

So the professional agrees with Dan then. Glad we cleared that up.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dave6188 said:

Roughly how many miles have you done on them? What tyres did you have on previously? 

I'm on about 600 miles now, 250 off those is on track, for the last ten years or so I have always run semi slicks, either ad08r, r888/r or 595rsr, the f1s have nearly the same grip levels of a good semi slick in dry and when it rains they have an insane amount of grip

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eddie_r32 said:

I'm on about 600 miles now, 250 off those is on track, for the last ten years or so I have always run semi slicks, either ad08r, r888/r or 595rsr, the f1s have nearly the same grip levels of a good semi slick in dry and when it rains they have an insane amount of grip

If they are comparable to a 100 threadwear tyre like the R888R's then that is super impressive.

Certainly isn't true for the Michelins which from my experience are amazing on the road but have too softer side wall for track, so much so that edges start to delaminate 

19 minutes ago, dave_7 said:

If they are comparable to a 100 threadwear tyre like the R888R's then that is super impressive.

Certainly isn't true for the Michelins which from my experience are amazing on the road but have too softer side wall for track, so much so that edges start to delaminate 

The sidewall is why I went for them over the mp4s, I like a stiff sidewall, that's basically what the choice comes down to according to most reviews, do you like a stiff sidewall or a weaker one...