370Z Nismo Mk1 - Fast road/track build

dave_7

Sorry, for the lack of updates with this... we had a baby so so both time and money are at a premium at the minute.

Only real update is fresh gearbox, diff, brake and clutch fluid going in at some point this week.

For those who are interested i give the Motul rbf660 hell and track and it never lets me down (swap it out every 4 or 5 track days)

20201006_170916.jpg.14e793b50e07caaaa0fa22f33f4505ac.jpg

Have been toying with the idea of getting a set if 18x10.5 wheels as the square setup with plenty of tyre at the front as it would be far better for me than the 19" staggered setup. Plus more good semi slicks are available in 18" and are far cheaper, and being able to rotate tyres would be a massive bonus.

Dilemma I'm having is do i sell the mk1 nismo wheels, (which i absolutely love the look of) and get something proper top shelf like some TE37s, CE28, lmgt4 Omori factory spec etc..... or do I keep the nismo wheels and get some cheaper but still light wheels like some Enkei RPF1 or Rays gramlights.

I'm not sure why but i only really want to sell the Mk1 Nismo rims if they're getting replaced by something equally a cool otherwise i feel like i am depreciating the car for some reason

I am in no rush to decide as i still have tyres left and there are other parts of the car that need addressing first and i don't have infinite cash money, but anyone with any useful input on this let me know

3 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Congratulations on the little one :thumbs:

I'd keep your nismo wheels they are like rocking horse ....

And if you sell the car at any point most buyers would probably want them 

You can still buy the wheels new through torqen they are still being made but they are pretty expensive 

• Like 1

Have you noticed any difference with fresh gearbox oil? I'm not entirely sure on the service intervals for changing it but I think it could be due on my Nismo. 

I absolutely would not sell your MK1 wheels though, unless they are for something very, very cool. They're rare was hens teeth and such a good looking wheel. I instantly regretted selling my LMGT4's, I wish they did a same size option for the the Nismos 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2020 at 14:23, nissanman312 said:

Congratulations on the little one :thumbs:

I'd keep your nismo wheels they are like rocking horse ....

And if you sell the car at any point most buyers would probably want them 

thanks mate... If i had a quid for every time someone has said "that's its now yous got a baby the car will have to go" I'd have enough money to actually finish the build haha.

Thanks everyone that has chimed in on my wheel dilemma, its pretty much confirmed what i was already thinking that if i sold them Mk1 Nismo rays at some point in time i would definitely wish I hadn't. I also like idea of having normal road tyres on them and having a less compromising semi slick on the new wheels, that way I fit whatever suits my needs at the time.

Also after changing the diff oil, there was no sign of swarf or metal fragments in it that has put any fears of the diff being mis-aligned to bed after the whiteline bushing went in.

Edited by dave_7

On 16/10/2020 at 19:03, Olly350z said:

Have you noticed any difference with fresh gearbox oil? I'm not entirely sure on the service intervals for changing it but I think it could be due on my Nismo. 

I absolutely would not sell your MK1 wheels though, unless they are for something very, very cool. They're rare was hens teeth and such a good looking wheel. I instantly regretted selling my LMGT4's, I wish they did a same size option for the the Nismos 

with the gearbox oil i never really notice any real difference after I change it, may say it feels a bit "slicker" but certainly nothing major if anything at all, but i do it regularly as I'd rather have it over maintained. Both engine and gearbox have both been perfect in the over 3 years I've owned it. On the Nissan service schedule for these it says every 2 years or 18k miles if that helps? 

On 16/10/2020 at 19:03, Olly350z said:

https://h-dev.co.uk/our-services/servicing-and-maintenance/370z-servicing/

On 21/07/2020 at 08:02, dave_7 said:
In other news, additional fuel pump is here courtesy of @nissanman312, so i big thanks to him for sorting this out! Just need a few more bits and that will be ready for fitting and testing.

All parts are from Protec, so should be no issues with quality. 

Short term plan for testing, I think I am just going to wire it to a 12v plug, route it to inside the armrest console and simply plug it in when at the track, before hard wiring it in with a switch further down the line. 

20200720_170028.jpg.331ed503173be4e48d050c87e67a0526.jpg

This could be controlled via Ecutek Race Rom , we can control a relay , so we could use Air flow meter voltage or Injector pulse width to control the relay that controls the fuel pump

19 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

https://www.nissan-cdn.net/content/dam/Nissan/za/Maintenance/370Z.pdf

This is what ive been working off, either way I'd say every 2 years is about right. 

18 hours ago, Mark@Abbey m/s said:

This could be controlled via Ecutek Race Rom , we can control a relay , so we could use Air flow meter voltage or Injector pulse width to control the relay that controls the fuel pump

That's a great shout would be an awesome feature. I need to get my act together and get remapped with Ecutek soon

Difficulty is Nissan say first coolant change should be done at 96 months, then every 48 there after. And no mention of changing the gearbox / Diff oil at all unless under severe conditions (UK is not severe by any stretch) 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dave_7 said:

20201201_193718.jpg.cc4aa325a6bc0d52ba061667bb6bf653.jpg

20201201_193835.jpg.0c561b60baf96f7c23d44d713391a255.jpg

First package arrived the other day. Coolerworx shifter.... the pictures don't show how nice of a bit of kit it is. Absolute x-rated filth. Cant wait to get it fitted!

Most bits still to arrive yet though

Ohh I want to try this when you get in im tempted 

Just wish cae did one for us 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Ohh I want to try this when you get in im tempted 

Just wish cae did one for us 

more than welcome to give a go mate *insert obvious knob joke here*

I'll let you know when its fitted and the car is back together

Edited by dave_7

20201213_163931.jpg.6ab431a4a50b11ce116a73d2027b153a.jpg

20201213_163927.jpg.e3975362d7d35015392333535526fe17.jpg

little update...

first off, Coolersworx shifter is fitted (excuse the missing trim from the pics). Really happy with how this looks and more importantly feels, throw is now super sort, cant wait to get it some abuse/testing.

20201117_173334.jpg.509dc38e41dc0ffa4da60af53880d587.jpg

Secondly been chasing a slight electrical gremlin, somehow i managed to blow the 140A fuse in the fusible link by the battery. The fuses below it the to fuse boxes and IPDM were fine so i guess its alternator, starter motor or a batter short between terminals. Anyways after much continuity testing and poking around i count find any fault so for bypassed the blow fuse with a smaller 15A fuse just to test - i didnt want to buy the new part form nissan for 50 quid to to blow it again (check out the shonky cable tie wiring :yuck:)

20201122_164629.jpg.73bdb8bddf0139c571bf8c5f7c7296db.jpg

anyways the fuse didn't blow so i replaced it with a new fusible link and all is well again. I am guessing i may have shorting something in the engine bay while swinging spanners about in there but there is not scorch marks from a short big enough to blow the fuse or loose wiring (and believe me i searched high and low). It had a trickle charger one when it blew much is suspect but it cant be that surely!

Thirdly, i have also decided not too fit the Z1 engine mounts I've got. Couple of reasons really, after fitting the new shifter and having removed the stock gearbox mount to see for myself that its an absolute saggy bag of sh*te - @nissanman312 you were 100% right on that one, i would rather sell it and use the money for a vibratechnic gearbox mount (i feel id get more benefit from it with the new shifter than engine mounts). I have also spent a bit of time weighing up the fitting out the engine mounts and i reckon its gonna be too much of a pain for me to fit with stock manifolds and heatshields still in place (I don't want to spend money having someone else do it, I am a man in his garage type and half the enjoyment is doing it myself) i just haven't got the time to be taking it on at the minute so i'm waving the white flag with it and moving on :surrender: 

So expect to see a for sale thread with 2 brand new never used engine mount soon (or if anyone wants to swap for a gearbox mount let me know)

I also took the plunge on the Zspeed aluminium undertray on their black friday deal... still made it more expensive than id have liked but its something i am in need of and its not going to get any better than 20% off. Not fitted it yet as i am waiting on other go faster parts to arrive first but its a quality bit of kit and super light weight.

20201203_121704.jpg.7fb1f83dac54ba475748a3657a7990a2.jpg

More parts arriving back end of the week which is going to give away my next move!!

• Like 1

That shifter looks spot on pal!

You won't regret that gearbox mount 

Paired with the shifter I would think that will be a sweet combination 

Did you not fancy the vibratechnics engine mounts also 

I believe they perform just like the gearbox mount 

As in max performance without the compromise on nvh levels 

• Like 2