350z Y-pipe... What options do i have?

vq35de.sam

Afternoon all..

Im looking for a nice Y-pipe to go with the TarmacSportz hfc's, and ISR single exit y-back, I'm assuming someone fitted a cheap ebay Y.

I'm looking at the AAM Y-pipe, I've read the ISR Ys can have fitting problems... 

I'm after powergains thus why looking at AAM as they claim around 9bhp 

Here's some sounds/video i took last night 

I’m with you Davey, its catch 22 with the zed exhausts, the flexis are the lowest point and first thing to hit the ground/speed humps but because they have some give they save the shock on the rest of the exhaust. Unfortunately they frey/crack/break after not too much impact so you have to replace the y section. If you went with a stillen y piece you eliminate this but then if you walloped that the shock/impact would travel to the next fixed point, in my case with aftermarket hfc’s that means its the manifolds which would never end well. 
I have just fitted a milltek y piece and this definitely sits at least an inch higher than my old cobra one did so should last a bit longer whilst still having flexis on as well.  

• Like 1

Plus even on a Zed at stock ride height able to clear most speed bumps with ease, flexi rot from the inside out due to their design retaining moisture when used repeatedly for short journeys. On the flip side, you want the flexi to take the movement given by the engine rather than the hangers and joints which wouldn't last as long. An exhaust shop can cut out and weld in a new flexi for £60-£80.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Plus even on a Zed at stock ride height able to clear most speed bumps with ease, flexi rot from the inside out due to their design retaining moisture when used repeatedly for short journeys. On the flip side, you want the flexi to take the movement given by the engine rather than the hangers and joints which wouldn't last as long. An exhaust shop can cut out and weld in a new flexi for £60-£80.

This is golden advice. Let the flexi be the sacrificial lamb otherwise you'll just engineer a more expensive point to become your point of failure. Any half decent exhaust shop can weld new flexis in for you. 

• Like 3

Good points but there are some brands (e.g. Invidia) which have joints to allow movement without the need for flexi's. 

Like Davey has said, sadly even without ever scraping it's usually the flexi's that fail first due to their design. 

HS02N3ZGIT-4.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...