Slightly Underwelmed

SteveW

Morning guys,

I test drove an azure blue 2004 S tune this weekend and I was slightly disapointed by the performance. Handling is fantastic and I must say I was very impressed with everything about the car except the acceleration. Build quality is brilliant, no rattles at all and the brakes are awesome.

I've currently got a 92 Celica GT4 its only about 230BHP and peak torque is 220ft/lbs it weighs about 1500kg. The 350z is 276 BHP and 276ft/lbs also weighs about the same but being two wheel drive has less transmission loss. Now I know it is faster slightly but by the feel of the butt dyno it failed to stir my soul. Is this normal or does it sound like the one I drove had some kind of issue that I was unaware of?

Cheers

Never thought that the zed gives you the greatest sensation of speed but i think that is the mark of a car that is well accomplished. How many times have i looked at the speedo then realsed i am just tootling along at a ton. :blush::lol:

Sounds normal to me. Make sure you watch the speedo! I thought that the first time I drove it, coming from a Leon FR (180BHP) it felt slow, but looking at the speedo I was going far quicker than I felt :blush: My mates Evo VIII also feels much faster than my Zed, but in a dead race it really isnt. Remember this thing is meant to be a GT car and becuase its not turbo'd the torque is always there and you dont get the kick that turbo'd systems give you.

Is your GT4 turbo'd? Sorry dont know anything about them :blush:

:welcome: btw, I'm a bit slow with them :)

I can from a GTO twin turbo to my Zed and thought exactly the same , took me a few weeks to realise how quick the Zed is , you just dont get the intial thump in the back like a turbo car gives, but ultimately I found the Zed a lot more rewarding to drive ( thats why I've had it over 2 years , the longest I have ever kept a car :thumbs: )

Short test drives are never very satisfactory I find, you have to live with a vehicle for a few weeks to fully get to grips with it... IMO :)

Guest prescience

The Z has a very smooth power delivery (power curve) and is deceptively fast, it does take a while. Unfortunately, I didn't wait and got a supercharger instead :teeth:

as said the zed is very smooth and linear with its delivery, the GT4/Leon are like old school turbos nothing nothing, wham, change gear. Also the FWD in the leon adds to the feel of speed as it simply doesnt put it down like a real car should ;) Gearing everything comes into it. The Zed is a GT car over anything else and a fantastic one at that, very fast just without any of the drama.

As a package car I have failed yet to find one that matches the Zed as a total package. The m3 is nowhere near as close for overall ownership and the zed outhandles/brakes it. Ultimately the zed is let down by the lack of rear space (though we managed 2 week tour of France comfortabely) and the older ones did suffer from a lack of top end rush (compared to the m car).

What you do get when you get a Zed is probably the best car in its class/price bracket. That of course will sound biased due to being an ex owner but I became an owner for a good reason and regretted becoming an ex-owner the day I sold it!

If you want the urgency of power take a look at other cars in the same price bracket such as the Monaro (hehe not going to try and flog mine in this thread) as they are phenominal cars for the price, however, from factory you do need to do some modifications to get it where it should be. The zed came from the factory as well set up as anyone could have wanted.

That is probably correct with it not being turbo'd and as raw as my current Celica I was surprised by how quiet it was but the V6 did sound lovely when opened up!

I did notice that I was always going faster than it felt I was. In mine its the other way round probably cos everything rattles shakes and grumbles, lol!

Thanks ppl

Modern turbos are much the same tbh you dont get that rush because they can be so linear now with variable boost etc. On the celica you will get the rush as it suddenly spools which gives the feeling of speed, same as turbo diesels often feel much punchier than they actually are!

The zed also cacoons you into it and there certainly is less feeling of speed in relation to how fast you are going. Jesus I want mine back, anyone want to swap for the ro?!? :D

Me as well, just swapped my 07 focus ST for 06 roadster GT, but I like the theatre of the zed, feels heavy though, and a bit unsettling in the wet. Wish they made a larini zorst though for it, wud bang one on straight away. !!!!

The day I picked up my second Z I found myself doing 220kph on the way home without realising it. Was just changing into 6th when I glanced at the speedo. Needless to say I cursed myself for not paying attention. Thanked all the gods I could think of that I hadn't been caught and cruised home at a more acceptable speed. I suppose had of been on a single carriageway and not a big wide open new dueller I of noticed a lot sooner. I used the cruise control that day for the first and last time.

Imagine driving down a runway. You really don't feel the speed you are doing.

Brand new wide open dual carriageway. No other traffic. No trees on the verge just grass fields. Just picked it up. Gave it a little bit of welly and then cruised along oblivious of the speed. My old Z didn't go like that nor did it sound as good.

I suppose that's how a GT car should go. Fast, comfortable and controlled. My one pet hate of the Z is that it hates going slow in the city. It prefers to sit on the higher side of 50kph.

I was going to start a similar thread but thought I might get flamed. When I 1st drove a 350z I thought it sounds really nice but just doesn't go at all.

After a couple of weeks of ownership its starting to grow on me!

Its definatley not as quick in a straight line a my 200sx (263bhp), but it is quicker than it feels and because of the linear torque and great handling I think it is very quick on the twistes.

Its just a shame its so heavy!

glad its not just me, you can tell its quick but only by the speedo!Its good because the mrs used to shout at me for driving fast but now she barely notices :lol:

went out in my mates chipped focus ST (~265 bhp) and thought it would slaughter me after sitting in the passenger seat but when we both went out for a play there was hardly any difference.

Turbo cars can be great fun, and certainly give a greater sensation of speed.

BUT...I dont think theres anything better than a good N/A engine.

The zed is possibly one of the smoothest cars ive driven in terms of power delivery. And I certainly wouldnt say its slow- outright acceleration maybe isnt epic, but the way it gathers speed is monumental. As has been said, its more of a GT, which has its + and - points.

Take it as a package and its hard to beat. The first time I drove it on a b-road, it felt massive, maybe too big. However, over time I found that it could be hustled along at a fair old lick, no matter what the road. It also reminded me what it means to drive smoothly, something id forgotten since owning an S2000.

My current steed is quick, yes. And accomplished. But...I do miss my zed terribly.

Its a wonderful machine and in any case, if you really dont think its that fast, just open the windows and listen to that glorious bellow.

Tunnels have never been the same since...

mine is a darn sight quicker than my old car (1.6sxi Astra) and to be honest like the rest of the guys I often find my self cruising just a bit too fast.

Gonna take mine to Europe for the summer and totally looking forward to a trip taking in Bruge, Germany (I wonder why?) lake Como and Eastern France. Wonder how the beast will cope with my travel bag, the girlies trunk and the camping gear...........