Ammo products in the UK or suitable alternatives

dotdot

Hello all, I have been introduced to the existence of Larry and Ammo products from this lovely site, as I'm a complete noob on the detailing front (My history of vehicle cleaning products is built upon Muc-Off and "whatever Halfords had on offer" which is a step up from my hubby and his attempting to reach for the fairy liquid :bang:) and now I want to make my zed all lovely and shiny. However correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be UK distributer of Ammo, and I'm way too impatient to wait for shipping at the moment? :thumbdown:

So.... what would be the next recommendation of products for a newbie, so far I've fallen down the rabbit hole several times looking at techniques and products, and I'm trying to keep my OCD in check with needing all products to match ! lol

Help........... 

• Like 1

Yay another Larry fan! If you want to double up on an order some time and cut the shipping to the UK, drop me a PM.

Absolute world of options out there and the best thing is, no one totally agrees on any products :lol:

Polished bliss is a great shop and also has loads of good content too - https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk - it's not just restating what the manufacturer says, it has their take on application as well.

I would suggest to dive in with a few things, you'll end up buying waaaaaay more than you need and then either stick with something you like, or move on when the bottle is empty. If you're tempted to keep trying new products each time, take it from me, when you find a good one, make a note or save a bookmark so you don't forget what it was!

There's also some decent content on this very forum, pinned in the Detailing section, if you've not seen it already.

Last but not least, before he says it https://gyeonquartz.com knock out some great products and there is good instructional content on the site too.

• Like 1

Thanks SuperStu, I've been checking out some of the many threads on here which are awesome, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in (oh, er) as well as trying to start with some good habits. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks :teeth:

Do you think if we club together we could just ship Larry over...........

Edited by dotdot

I've become a fan of madcow products some are good some are OK but what they are is good value for money, every month they do a box with pretty much everything you need to clean a car for about 30 quid, it's a good way to start to build up an arsenal of cleaning gear

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperStu said:

Last but not least, before he says it https://gyeonquartz.com knock out some great products and there is good instructional content on the site too.

You called? :D

As Stu says, PB is a very good site and they only sell products that they actually use themselves, which is why they can provide detailed guides on uses. However, PB is now run by CYC, so that model is likely to change as time goes on - indeed some of the CYC stock has already made it onto the website, which itself isn't as maintained as it once was with a plethora of broken links now, which is a real shame.

Gyeon offer great products, but a lot of their range of LSP's in particular are aimed more at the avid detailers than novices (that's not to say you can't use them, but they come across as more daunting than they really are, unlike wax which is easily removed and difficult to get wrong, for example).

My advice; set yourself a budget and stick to it. Decide which area you want to start with and build up in stages - I'd suggest focusing on a safe wash technique first and get the wash stage sorted before buying a full range of products, especially if you already have some stuff.

That caveat aside; Car Chem; Cheap, effective, easy to use and forgiving products. And they do a product for everything to satisfy your brand OCD.

However, if you let us know what you budget is, what you really want to try and what you really need, I'm pretty sure we can build you a shopping list. If you've not seen it already, I've got a thread in the detailing section where I basically just trial and review all sorts of products and my only real advice is; don't stick to one brand but do find a product you like that works for you and stick with that. Or remortgage the house.... :lol:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

However, if you let us know what you budget is, what you really want to try and what you really need, I'm pretty sure we can build you a shopping list. If you've not seen it already, I've got a thread in the detailing section where I basically just trial and review all sorts of products and my only real advice is; don't stick to one brand but do find a product you like that works for you and stick with that. Or remortgage the house.... :lol:

That sounds like a really good idea, like you say take it step by step too. I have found your thread which is great and soooooo much info, I didn't even know that "beading" was a thing outside of jewellery making, :lol:

I'll be back with a list and a budget, and no doubt generally making a nuisance of myself...... 

• Like 1

I'm liking the look and sound of the chemical guys items, but typically a lot of their items are out of stock :doh: 

I'm looking for this kit or these products, and especially seeing as though I cant find them all, I want them even more, lol

https://www.chemicalguysuk.co.uk/shop/kits/chemical-guys-hol124-starter-car-care-kit-7-items/

Or something similar for £100........ do your stuff......

Okay, I checked a few of the usual suspects for the CG kit and no one else does that one that I can see, so a few options for you;

The "just in case your budget is flexible" option (it really does have everything you'll need for a long while, but also 3.5x your budget :lol:).

Or the "I just want everything to match"option; select Super Suds Shampoo 1900:1, Clear View Glass Cleaner, Alloy Clean, Hydro QD Tyre Gel (as like for like replacements to the CG kit offering) either Hydroseal or Hydrocoat Hybrid (as an alternative to the wax)  and chuck in Iron DeTox and G&T Glue & Tar Remover as bonus products that you'll need sooner rater than later, get a bag, cloths, brushes, mitt and applicator thrown in with plenty of money left over to add either a clay bar or better still a clay mitt.

Alternatively, if you're really looking for a wax over a sealant, exchange the Hydroseal/Hydrocoat Hybrid from the above for Interior Clean Coat (as another useful bonus item) and add this wax to your order, all within budget and collectively similar price to the CG kit with some bonus products at ~£80

Then there's the " ilogikal1 made me do it" option (in no particular order);

Pre-wash - Citrus Power

Shampoo - Bathe+ (for adding protection as well) or Bathe for just a straight up shampoo. And of course a proper wash pad (if you don't already have something that's not a sponge).

Fallout remover - Korrosol

Clay - cloth

Adding shiny - Tripple

Protect - WetCoat

And for good measure whilst you're there; chuck this in too

All of which should you for a while and comes in at ~£90.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilogikal1 said:

The "just in case your budget is flexible" option (it really does have everything you'll need for a long while, but also 3.5x your budget :lol:).

It's a little flexible but not super stretchy lol.

1 hour ago, ilogikal1 said:

Or the "I just want everything to match"option; select Super Suds Shampoo 1900:1, Clear View Glass Cleaner, Alloy Clean, Hydro QD Tyre Gel (as like for like replacements to the CG kit offering) either Hydroseal or Hydrocoat Hybrid (as an alternative to the wax)  and chuck in Iron DeTox and G&T Glue & Tar Remover as bonus products that you'll need sooner rater than later, get a bag, cloths, brushes, mitt and applicator thrown in with plenty of money left over to add either a clay bar or better still a clay mitt.

Alternatively, if you're really looking for a wax over a sealant, exchange the Hydroseal/Hydrocoat Hybrid from the above for Interior Clean Coat (as another useful bonus item) and add this wax to your order, all within budget and collectively similar price to the CG kit with some bonus products at ~£80

Then there's the " ilogikal1 made me do it" option (in no particular order);

Pre-wash - Citrus Power

Shampoo - Bathe+ (for adding protection as well) or Bathe for just a straight up shampoo. And of course a proper wash pad (if you don't already have something that's not a sponge).

Fallout remover - Korrosol

Clay - cloth

Adding shiny - Tripple

Protect - WetCoat

And for good measure whilst you're there; chuck this in too

All of which should you for a while and comes in at ~£90.

I'll take a look at these very shortly, when I can pretend I'm doing important admin stuff at my desk. (It does help running your own business but not when it's with my Hubby and he can see my every move :disguise: )

• Haha 1

I cracked under the strain..... I needed (not wanted) products this weekend, so had to source local but I don’t think I’ve done too bad... and I’m holding ilogikal1 responsible for the brand choice (cause I can! B)) as he recommended some auto finesse products.

I am now the owner of... 

Starter kit

Citrus cleaner

Iron out

Towel (which is super fluffy and better than my own towels)

and just cause I couldn’t resist 

Snowfoam (Should have been auto finesse but It got substituted due to lack of stock; my OCD is ignoring this)

Snow foamer (although I haven’t used this yet as I didn’t realise our Karcher had blown up and we currently have an imposter model which won’t connect.)

And if I say so myself I now have a lovely clean Zen, but not yet polished as my hubby was complaining of being by himself all afternoon :lol:

Big thanks to ilogikal1 for your input, and I now feel like “all the gear, no idea” although I did keep hearing Larry saying “I’m only stopping the mitt from falling off the car, I’m not scrubbing” 

(Pictures to follow when I work out how to use photobucket,)

• Like 2

Don't bother with Photobucket, it's awful these days! Plenty of other hosting sites available that are better and more reliable, but this site also hosts pictures too (which reminds me, my "guilty conscience donation to the club" is due again!).

There are considerably worse products you could have got from Halfords, so good work on AF; Lather is actually a perfectly fine shampoo. Radiance isn't my first choice but it's still pretty good itself. Megs USF is... fine. I didn't even know that Halfords offer quick release foam lances though, so that's a bonus... when you get a working pressure washer :lol: and you've got Citrus Power in the meantime!

Not a bad haul at all, it gives you everything you need for a decent clean and protection. The only thing you may want to add is a tar remover, but not an urgent addition as you'll only be using it every other month (or less) for a deep clean to compliment Iron Out & claying.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dotdot said:

And if I say so myself I now have a lovely clean Zen, but not yet polished as my hubby was complaining of being by himself all afternoon :lol:

He needs to get a grip. I would be well made up if my other half detailed her own car. Would even take her regular cups of tea....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ponsonby said:

He needs to get a grip. I would be well made up if my other half detailed her own car. Would even take her regular cups of tea....

If you knew us this would be even more hilarious...... we own and run a car service / repair garage, born from his love of cars, particularly 300zx, HOWEVER, as we are always busy with customers vehicles and cause he can't say no to a "Can you just..." he never gets time on his own. I have also had to ban him from buying "projects" due to this. Cue him "just" appearing with a slightly poorly zed the beginning of June, I wasn't best pleased and this was followed by 2 days of me giving him the "I'm not angry, I'm disappointed" treatment.

Then I drove it......... with a worn clutch....... then the keys belonged to me. 

A new clutch kit was promptly researched and then ordered with the help of CMS and he spent the following Saturday fitting it. (I had conveniently manoeuvred the customers bookings to create a spare lift just when we needed it :lol: ) 

Now I'm busy learning how to drive it (whilst still holding on to my license and not looking like a kangaroo on gear changes ...) Hubby has been barred from stealing the keys without me being present and he lost me on our day off to me cleaning my car (at our place of work as that is where the space is) and he still hasn't found any time to work on his and get them on the road / track. He's always wanted me to join the enthusiasm of cars but I've never found one (within budget) that I quite liked...... I think the rest is going to be history. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2