350Z Roadster roof won't open

Damo_350Z_Roadster

New member here so please be gentle...

Replaced my convertible top on my 2005 350Z Roadster last year and 5th bow motor a couple of months ago. Roof's been working fine until yesterday and now the roof won't open. The roof opening warning light is permanently on on the dash and when the button is pressed to open the roof, both windows go down, the passenger seat moves forward and then nothing happens.

There is a clicking/motor noise as if the roof is trying to open and it sounds like it's coming from the 5th bow actuator latch. The thing is, I'm not aware of any way to access this as the roof is fully closed so I cant even release the rear tonneau cover manually.

The odd thing is, when I press the button to close the roof, it goes through part of the opening roof cycle i.e. windows drop, seat moves forward then nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I thought I'd solved my roof issues!

Hi buddy sorry to here this, is there any warranty with roof? If not its probably worth send zedmanalex private message, he will be able to advise on what to do, he is a trader on here, and i sure he knows everything you need to know about a zed, good luck with it

Edited by ShortPaul
Grammar

8 minutes ago, Damo_350Z_Roadster said:

Hi mate and thanks for the reply. The replacement roof wasn't a new one so no warranty unfortunately. The roof and mechanism are all fine, It's just not releasing from the rear fifth bow where it latches into the rear cover. I'll try your suggestion and keep my fingers crossed!

Hi no worries message zmanalex he should be able to help 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damo_350Z_Roadster said:

It isn't but thanks for the vid. Mine is stuck closed, it drops the windows then moves the passenger seat forward and then there's just a clicking noise from underneath the 5th bow. It's looking like it could be the 5th bow actuator latch that isn't releasing.

5th Bow actuator motors are in stock if required,

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone I am having the exact same problem windows goes down, the seat moves forward but nothing opens and I hear the clicking noise coming from the back but that’s it. Can anyone help ? I took it to the dealership and they couldn’t figure it out and charged me $1000 dollars 

• 11 months later...

Hi I'm living in the US and own a 2004 350z Roadster. Been having the same issue as described above where the windows go down, seat moves and the light comes on in the dash and i hear a clicking coming from the rear motor. Did anyone ever figure out what the fix is here? Any updates appreciated before I get the knuckles cut trying to figure it out by trial and error 

• 1 year later...

Hi all, a new member here.

"Replaced my convertible top on my 2005 350Z Roadster last year and 5th bow motor a couple of months ago. Roof's been working fine until yesterday and now the roof won't open. The roof opening warning light is permanently on on the dash and when the button is pressed to open the roof, both windows go down, the passenger seat moves forward and then nothing happens.

There is a clicking/motor noise as if the roof is trying to open and it sounds like it's coming from the 5th bow actuator latch. The thing is, I'm not aware of any way to access this as the roof is fully closed so I cant even release the rear tonneau cover manually.

The odd thing is, when I press the button to close the roof, it goes through part of the opening roof cycle i.e. windows drop, seat moves forward then nothing happens"

Hey man what was the problem? I am having this problem now i hope you can help me with it.

Gr.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar issue but on my HR... turns out the main wiring harness connector under the passenger seat was the culprit due to dodgy pin connections... I had to clean out every pin connector with a needle file then it solved my roof issue...

Edited by Mavrik