Steering lock mechanism

wausau51

Hi

I've just put a complaint into Nissan uk regarding the recall of 2009 370Z steering lock mechanism. Apparently in the states they were recalled and had the part renewed or replaced but this never happened in the uk...mine has packed up and the RAC were able to isolate it so I can still drive it..I'm waiting for there response on the issue..I've been told by nissan that this isn't usually a goodwill gesture to repair free of charge cos I dont have it serviced locally at nissan...I did say regardless where its serviced it's still a design fault that needs to he addressed...watch this space

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wausau51 said:

But how old were the vehicles mines 2009 so there probably use that as a get out clause if yours was in warranty than that's no more than you would of expected 

370z was 2009, GT-R was 2010. Out of warranty both. Recall doesn't have to be under warranty, it's a safety recall. 

That did cross my mind but than perhaps you could say that when it was stolen they did everything they could to steal it I.e smashing the mechanism etc .its probably how they would steal it..no different perhaps in breaking the standard steering lock on a standard steering wheel .

7 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

370z was 2009, GT-R was 2010. Out of warranty both. Recall doesn't have to be under warranty, it's a safety recall. 

So I I could say it's a safety issue if they refuse to pay for the repair

12 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Just a question if you pull the fuse for the steering lock, and god forbid the car got stolen how would you stand with an insurance company :blush:

How would they know if they never recover the car? And if they do, who said it was you that did it?

23 minutes ago, wausau51 said:

So I I could say it's a safety issue if they refuse to pay for the repair

Is there anyone else I need to contact other than waiting for customer services to reply 

Just out of interest what's the mileage on your car? I have a 61 plate 370 but very low mileage and mine still has (presumably) the original steering lock mechanism although looking at it it's the later revised version so hopefully it'll last.

I've toyed with pulling the fuse but haven't bothered, my thoughts were, if (when) it packs up i'd just replace it with the Nissan bypass module, which in itself is an admission by Nissan that these are rubbish!

Torqen sell them: https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/370z/engine/electronics/21661-370z-nissan-oem-steering-wheel-lock-bypass-09-11-48708-9n00a.html?search_query=370z+Nissan+OEM+Steering+Wheel+Lock+Bypass+09-11&results=1

Guys, save yourself the money and persevere with Nissan, they have to do it under recall campaign.

Some info to help:

VSC / Recall issued by Nissan on 28th March 2013, campaign ref. P3208.

“On Thursday 28th March 2013 the campaign (ref. P3208) was loaded onto dealer computer systems.  Cars that qualify for the campaign are early 370Z and GT-R models which have steering locks 48700-JF00B and 48700-JF00C.  These would be replaced with the most recent item 48700-JF00D.”

There is no time limit on the campaign and there is no upper limit on the mileage of the car.

I've attached a photo with how mine was looking like before being replaced, that's on the 370z.

The part number you need is: D8700-JF00D, this supersedes, 48700-JF00A, 48700-JF00B, 48700-JF00C, and 48700-JF00D.

2013-11-20_22-10-23.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the old post revival but having been through this lately, the VSC / recall appears to tops out on 2011 models:

CAMPAIGN ID #: P3208 APPLIED VEHICLES:

2009 – 2010 370Z (Z34)

2009 – 2011 GTR (R35)

NISSAN RECALL CAMPAIGN BULLETIN (nhtsa.gov)

Although that looks to be for North America - is there an ageless policy in the UK?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, wondering how you got on with this Blackstar? Just had my issues confirmed as this same issue, and its a 2010 / 60 plate 370Z convertible, dealership I took to look at the issue have just quoted me roughly £1k to resolve it, so I went searching and found this post, so i'm thinking i'll email them this notice! But interested to know how you got on?

Cheers