Real Life Sighting: New Golf = Zero Road Presence

hmale4yu

Don't want to create a long thread on here dedicated to this dull car but just to let you guys know that I spotted the new Golf today whilst on a walk. If you think it looks conservative in the photos then be warned it looks even more dull in real life. Dark blue colour. The front lights stand out the most but the body shell is virtually the same. Was expecting a bigger car with noticeably different creases, lines. None of that. Expect the same from the R. Maybe the GTI TCR version might have a bit more sex appeal to it

That’s why they’re so good, precisely because they don’t stand out or are too flashy or anything. They just do a very good job and they’re a nice place to be. 

Personally I’m grateful for cars these days that don’t feel the need to have a million and one creases in just to be different, but that’s probably age talking :lol: 

• Haha 1

Itll probably similar price from £26,000-£35,000....

Each to their own. More screens, loss of buttons, and more refinement for more money. Everyone's different im either going cheap end £900 runaround or if im spending £40k probably something more upmarket and sporty new Z or full Electric like Model 3.

Its functional does a job but so does a 17 Civic at half the price.....albeit slightly noisier Civic with thinner doors and more road noise. Each to their own. I suppose its a mid range semi luxury a to b car. Where a Civic would be seen as a mid range a to b with a few gadgets who dont want or need the premium or the problems a Golf would bring.

Also people with families who dont want an SUV have another option too. The Mark 5-7.5 were good cars. I was tempted by the R 7.5....

But I thought Id get something more specific for the money. As time passes that may translate into Electric or a Golf.... Especially when reality kicks in and its no longer viable to drive Zeds or afford a Cayman GTS, GT4 for longer than a year lol....

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Those headlights make it look like a dissaproving grandad, who's fed up of your s**t :nono: lol.  I admit when I first saw it, it looks a bit odd but as previously said they want something for the masses that sells.  Need to see a sporty trim or GTi in the flesh to make a decent opinion.. Not that it matters, I'm not buying one - but I love a good opinion... :lol:

• Like 1

I remember looking around a Golf R at a car show once, and I found it really hard to understand all the fuss about them because it looked so bland. I agree with what others have said though, and I presume that the Golfs biggest asset is the fact that it blends in and it is forgettable. 

Edited by Lee370Z

MK7.5 Golf R is the perfect all round car. Driving it was easy when you wanted it to be, fun when you wanted to flip the switch. The whole virtual cockpit makes life so much simpler too. 

Perfect for a little drive with the lads/family. Small enough to park anywhere, big enough to carry some luggage. 

MK8, I do wanna sit in one and see how they've pushed it on but there isn't much left to achieve in the Golf.

MK7.5 Golf R was a point and shoot machine, sun or snow, it always has grip and power on tap. Not a weekend toy but still an above average car for all occasions. 

• Like 1