Near Future Classics... (Yes another speculation thread!)

hmale4yu

Hypothetically if you were to spend £30k ish on something that won't depreciate much in the next 5-7 yrs and dare I say even go up a little what do you think it would be? and also something that won'r require much to keep/maintain.  Yes  rather speculative, daydreamy thread but nice to pick a few brains 

Your thoughts on the following:

Clio V6 - Going for 30k+ now. I think they have peaked for the time being and wont experience a rise unless kept garaged and then sold on in 7 yrs

Audi A1 Quattro - Rare LHD, AWD that could until recently be found  2nd hand low miles for £35k. None atm. Worth keeping an eye on when one crops up?

695 Biposto - If one with the dog ring box comes to market would this worth considering? Several standard manuals on market depreciated from £35k to early £20ks now. My opinion is that all the other Abarth "limited runs" are just attempts by Abarth at milking their cash cow. 695 dog ring might be something sought after in the future perhaps

Yaris GR - Not yet released. When would you say this would be the best time to buy in order to avoid the initial depreciation drop if there is one

Edited by hmale4yu

2 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Hypothetically if you were to spend £30k ish on something that won't depreciate much in the next 5-7 yrs and dare I say even go up a little what do you think it would be? and also something that won'r require much to keep/maintain.  Yes  rather speculative, daydreamy thread but nice to pick a few brains 

Your thoughts on the following:

Clio V6 - Going for 30k+ now. I think they have peaked for the time being and wont experience a rise unless kept garaged and then sold on in 7 yrs

Audi A1 Quattro - Rare LHD, AWD that could until recently be found  2nd hand low miles for £35k. None atm. Worth keeping an eye on when one crops up?

695 Biposto - If one with the dog ring box comes to market would this worth considering? Several standard manuals on market depreciated from £35k to early £20ks now. My opinion is that all the other Abarth "limited runs" are just attempts by Abarth at milking their cash cow. 695 dog ring might be something sought after in the future perhaps

Yaris GR - Not yet released. When would you say this would be the best time to buy in order to avoid the initial depreciation drop if there is one

Clio V6 used to 15k wth lol

I think Z4M as well

What the deal with the A1. Is that the first model year? 

The Clios were half that price not so long ago, you missed the boat there.

What you need to be looking for are cars that effectively get dragged up in price - for example the R33 Skylines were frowned upon, but as soon as the R34s and R32s went up in price (which was very common knowledge they would) the R33's followed suit, a £5k car 3 or 4 years ago is a £10k one now. Same with the Lotus Elan (the M100s) which were the black sheep of the family, but when Elises shot up in value recently (again very predictable), they dragged the Elan up with them. 

I think I might have mentioned it before but if you are looking to make money, stick it in gold or something. You are going to have to tax, insure, service, maintain anything you buy which will come out of any appreciation you might see, or add to any depreciation you could also see!

Edited by coldel
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Mkiv supra TT, R32GTR, R33 GTR, FD3 RX7, S15 Silvia all attainable for that price and will rocket in value IMO

Exactly where my money is going, they are all dead certs to hold or increase. 
I like 981 Boxster/Caymans as well, not sure they will appreciate but dont think they will lose much.