97k 350z DE loose back end

ChilledBowser

HI all, 

Since picking up the Z I notice that when I am travelling at 40+ mph and when accelerating hard the back end is really loose/sways from left to right with the slightest of steering adjustments. Is this an issue with the sway bar? Or drop links? Or something entirely different? 

Could be one of many things including what has already been mentioned.

The first thing that I would be looking at are the tyres: 

I would also recommend that you get a full 4 wheel geometry done once you have eliminated any tyre or suspension issues.

• Thanks 1

There seems to be a clunking/scraping noise too, how would I check for springs? They're yellow springs by the way too haha whoever owned this before me out in bare minimum effort

Edited by ChilledBowser
Additions

Like Alex said, check the tyres for uneven wear. Is the car leaning to one side at all?

If you can jack it up, take the rear wheels off and have a look at their condition, check for damage, corrosion, snaps.

Could also just reach under the arch and have a feel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

Could be one of many things including what has already been mentioned.

The first thing that I would be looking at are the tyres: 

I would also recommend that you get a full 4 wheel geometry done once you have eliminated any tyre or suspension issues.

This :thumbs:

As you also mention a clunking/scraping noise and aftermarket springs fitted a thorough check underneath with car on a ramp and light to see if anything is loose/missing/worn out, would be wise.

• Like 1

Worth mentioning that depending on how far you push it, the rear end will fish tail in low grip situations, e.g. bad road camber, oil on road, wet surface, uneven road surface, even with VDC enabled. I'd definitely check the tyres first.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies so far, I went out to the garage just now (needed some wood for a DIY project, that's another story) I lent over the back arches and pushed down and... nothing, I couldn't even push them down that much, like maybe a mm or two, I also got a photo...

Feeling the tyres don't help me as someone put pretty much brand new tyres on it, I have a trolley jack on order and some axl stands too once they're here I can get under it for a better look.

IMG_20200603_154250.jpg

What I was wondering is that since I'm still waiting on my trolley jack and stands I wondered if anyone wanted a video chat when I get the chance to get under the car and someone could look at it with me if there isn't anything obvious? 

• 3 weeks later...

So I managed to get the jack and stands out over the weekend to get under the back of the car. It seems after some inspection that the springs are Apex lowering springs with some of the yellow coating split and rusted a little, the shocks look like the originals with nissan printed on them and the back left has scrappy writing on it. Should I replace the shocks and keep the springs? 

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

Only if they are causing the issue or if you simply just want to upgrade.

That's the thing though... I don't know if the shocks are causing the issue or the springs. I have read that lowering springs kill standard shocks. I can't see any visible oil leaks from the shock either. The ride is pretty bouncy though.

If you run out of options and noting you only joined the forum this month, then a visit to one of our experienced traders on here could be very worthwhile. Noting your location, Jez at Horsham Developments has a very good reputation and years and years of experience with 350's:

See here:

• Like 1