Catalysts and MOTs

Scootg

Hi Everyone,

I come seeking advice please.

HR engine running 200 cell sports cats apparently fails an MOT due to emissions. 
I don’t know the manufacturer of the cats, only that they’re 200 cell. 

The car, naturally needs to go through an MOT without worrying, or needing a specific type of MOT tester who’s friendly.

I’ve heard the Berks ones are ok but they’re 200 cell too?

Does anyone have any recommendations on this? Are the only alternatives the hugely expensive and restricting Nissan ones? 

Thanks.

You could try a Y pipe which has an interchangeable section so you can easily swap between a straight pipe and an extra 200 cell cat as needed?

2 companies I know that do that sort of thing are Motordyne and Torqen so might be worth giving @Adrian@TORQEN a shout. 

Other than that all HFCs I've heard of seem to be hit and miss, think it's just the risk you take sadly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies - yeah, the car is taken for a good long run before the test is conducted, but no, I haven't tried any cleaners..

I totally understand the safest option being OEM for the test - just the cost of purchasing them is a little eye-watering at the moment, as the original ones were sold.

I'll have a look at... ISR, you say?

I'm not sure a straight pipe is going to suit sadly, or the interchangeable Y-Pipe sounds interesting.