New Z confirmed by Nissan

Adrian@TORQEN

42 minutes ago, alexgv1 said:

I was really looking forward to seeing one in a UK showroom and maybe test driving it but maybe that was wishful thinking.

I get that it felt like a waste of time. Its not the final nail in the coffin yet. Thankfully its still a concept. Im glad most of the speculation turned out to be true regarding heritage, Engine, design cues which still need some work.

UK market is still somewhat open minded. We still want our ICE cars. We still love our Zs. 

1 hour ago, DoogyRev said:

That looks way better IMO

The GTR esque Grill. I never posted that render i felt it looked a bit wild at the time. Low and behold it was actually close in terms of overall shape. Guess the Grill is the real beef. 

7 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

The GTR esque Grill. I never posted that render i felt it looked a bit wild at the time. Low and behold it was actually close in terms of overall shape. Guess the Grill is the real beef. 

Not just the Grille, the shape of the rear arches was also a bit of a let down, I expected more curve if you know what I mean when compared to that render. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ekona said:

It’s the launch colour of the 240, apparently. It says it’s a pearl effect in person so probably quite nice, dreadful in photos though!

Most touches like that are probably wasted on people who have grown up with 350Z onwards. There were still comments about DE vs HR in the live stream it was hilarious. At least it drew a wide audience as they clearly weren’t all Z fanatics. 

23 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I’m 40 and I couldn’t give a toss about anything before the 350Z if I’m honest. 300ZX is okay in certain configs, but anything earlier does nothing for me. 

I always liked the 240 best probably because being a car nut from age 3 (according to my mum) it was such a rare thing to see but I had a toy one in the 70s and always loved the shape especially the headlights. (Sad I know) the rest not really that bothered until my 350 of course. :D I am not usually keen on cars that have bits from previous models stuck on to emphasize the lineage but I do think they did a good job on this one. I don't even mind the Mr Bean yellow. :)

26 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

They better get their skates on we have until 2035 for petrol then it's toast. Now there is this big fuss over hybrids being worse than just petrol, FFS get developing that synthetic fuel made from cabbage so we can save the planet before we have to endure another David Attenborough 'The end is nigh' special. 

1 minute ago, stanski said:

They better get their skates on we have until 2035 for petrol then it's toast. Now there is this big fuss over hybrids being worse than just petrol, FFS get developing that synthetic fuel made from cabbage so we can save the planet before we have to endure another David Attenborough 'The end is nigh' special. 

apparently Methanol is low emission but highly combustible. I think people are more obsessed with going Electric. 

Yeah I heard that about hybrid too

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

apparently Methanol is low emission but highly combustible. I think people are more obsessed with going Electric. 

Yeah I heard that about hybrid too

Well you have to keep those poor kids in the lithium mines in work don't you, then of course ship it around the world belching diesel fumes but it's ok because electric cars are made from fallen leaves and old celery and powered by the power from angel farts. We are saved! :bangin:

Then again only the rich can afford those cars and the rest of us have to make do with our petrol bangers. Sorry went off on one there. 

I hope Porsche gets somewhere with their fuel research in the meantime.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I do wonder if the Roadster is unlikely(great if it is because I love my 370Z Roadster), because Nissan designed both the Coupe/Roadster at the same time with the 370Z. Obviously I could be wrong though, because the 350Z Roadster came to the market quite a bit later than the 350Z Coupe did. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I’m 40 and I couldn’t give a toss about anything before the 350Z if I’m honest. 300ZX is okay in certain configs, but anything earlier does nothing for me. 

That’s probably because the 300ZX did everything it could to kill off the heritage of the Z car at the time; it’s not a real Z car after all, what with being a 3 litre TT and all.... oh.

;)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lee370Z said:

I do wonder if the Roadster is unlikely(great if it is because I love my 370Z Roadster), because Nissan designed both the Coupe/Roadster at the same time with the 370Z. Obviously I could be wrong though, because the 350Z Roadster came to the market quite a bit later than the 350Z Coupe did. 

I think they already have a roadster design as well as a Nismo type. Its taken them years to do the design. Not being a car designer by trade of course but I expect they have assorted variants based on whatever the designers came up with?  

Surely they must have a 'Mood Wall' with post it notes at the side? Do you think they will get into that 1970s vibe, smoking copious amounts of fags drinking Scotch swearing like troopers, wearing kipper ties and flowery polyester shirts? :scare: But enough about me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone needs to photo shop a registration plate on the front in order to see how it would look in real life although it's certainly a bit futile now given the announcement that there will not be a EU release.

Speaking of which I do believe that Nissan WILL stick to their guns on this tbh. Not just because of the tightened regulations, shrinking sales in EU for this segment but if you look at the project on the whole it is obvious that cost cutting was a clear factor it determining the platform, drivetrain, interior/exterior design. Nissan have already pulled Infiniti from EU and selling the new Z would mean a minimum commitment of 3 yrs (marketing, dealer network etc). It's a real shame and tbh I was q sad when I learnt of this albeit when one looks at the business case it comes as no surprise 

Pointless as it seems now given the above, my take on the exterior design is a low 7/10 and as mentioned with a plate on the front it will look better. Slightly played it safe with the overall look but then that was anticipated. Looks more classy then the 370z although less muscular/stocky although it will be a bigger car.  Rearlights are a bit narrow in comparison to the overall size. Unsure about the silver roof strip. Wheels look good.

I think in Nismo form the new car has potential to look really really good and look less bare boned then this. I think that's partly why they unveiled in bright yellow as the base spec looks a bit understated. With the Nismo it won't need a vivid colour to stand out and hence the white with red accents would hit the spot. Interestingly, I think the base 350z looked better then the 370z but when the 370z got the Nismo treatment it looked far better esp Mk2 then its predecessor. 

Interior illustrates how Nissan were cautious as to the budget on this project imo. Could easily be the 370z with the same door handles, air conditioning vents in doors. 

In conclusion I like it but not enough to go out and buy one (if it was released here). Def not worthy of importing. Just doesn't have anything memorable about the exterior design that makes it get burnt into your  memory. I don't know about you guys but it just seems like we have reached a point in ICE car design across most segments where pretty much all the ideas have been done/previously perfected and we are just now seeing minor design elements introduced in order to justify the cost of buying the new generation. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hmale4yu said:

Interior illustrates how Nissan were cautious as to the budget on this project imo. Could easily be the 370z with the same door handles, air conditioning vents in doors. 

Yes and when you look at the interior in detail it is very similar to the 370Z. The key slot/traction control button are exactly the same. The pedals are the same/similar. The air vents/interior door handles/handbrake/central cup holder are all the same. The seat base controls are exactly the same and the seat base shape is also exactly the same. 

They have done a nice job of making it look more modern though I reckon with all the digital screens etc. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hmale4yu said:

Someone needs to photo shop a registration plate on the front in order to see how it would look in real life although it's certainly a bit futile now given the announcement that there will not be a EU release.

Speaking of which I do believe that Nissan WILL stick to their guns on this tbh. Not just because of the tightened regulations, shrinking sales in EU for this segment but if you look at the project on the whole it is obvious that cost cutting was a clear factor it determining the platform, drivetrain, interior/exterior design. Nissan have already pulled Infiniti from EU and selling the new Z would mean a minimum commitment of 3 yrs (marketing, dealer network etc). It's a real shame and tbh I was q sad when I learnt of this albeit when one looks at the business case it comes as no surprise 

Pointless as it seems now given the above, my take on the exterior design is a low 7/10 and as mentioned with a plate on the front it will look better. Slightly played it safe with the overall look but then that was anticipated. Looks more classy then the 370z although less muscular/stocky although it will be a bigger car.  Rearlights are a bit narrow in comparison to the overall size. Unsure about the silver roof strip. Wheels look good.

I think in Nismo form the new car has potential to look really really good and look less bare boned then this. I think that's partly why they unveiled in bright yellow as the base spec looks a bit understated. With the Nismo it won't need a vivid colour to stand out and hence the white with red accents would hit the spot. Interestingly, I think the base 350z looked better then the 370z but when the 370z got the Nismo treatment it looked far better esp Mk2 then its predecessor. 

In conclusion I like it but not enough to go out and buy one (if it was released here). Def not worthy of importing. Just doesn't have anything memorable about the exterior design that makes it get burnt into your  memory. I don't know about you guys but it just seems like we have reached a point in ICE car design across most segments where pretty much all the ideas have been done/previously perfected and we are just now seeing minor design elements introduced in order to justify the cost of buying the new generation. 

Sadly I think you are right about the running out of ideas. I think all manufacturers are just killing time until they all go full electric. They have to keep the factories going so I recon all the cars that are petrol now will be parts specials and variations on themes.

I am just glad the Japs take their time and companies like Mazda for example are still working on engine designs not least the Rotary. 

I have a bad feeling eventually electric cars will be treated just like white goods are today, unless they come up with cool looking stuff that still has soul. Yes the Honda E looks cool but it's not like the prototype which looked fantastic, yet it's no good to me with that limited range.

Edited by stanski

41 minutes ago, Lee370Z said:

Yes and when you look at the interior in detail it is very similar to the 370Z. The key slot/traction control button are exactly the same. The pedals are the same/similar. The air vents/interior door handles/handbrake/central cup holder are all the same. The seat base controls are exactly the same and the seat base shape is also exactly the same. 

They have done a nice job of making it look more modern though I reckon with all the digital screens etc. 

Its the same door too. is it worth importing at anything above 40k......if the car cost 46k in Japan by the time it gets here its around 49k. Tax and insurance 51k....If God forbid you have to sell that would be a tough sell although I think someone would buy it if there are non about. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Its the same door too. is it worth importing at anything above 40k......if the car cost 46k in Japan by the time it gets here its around 49k. Tax and insurance 51k....If God forbid you have to sell that would be a tough sell although I think someone would buy it if there are non about. 

Also higher insurance. Warranty/Servicing issues etc

Only car from Japan I've considered is the Honda S660 but the fact that it has no luggage space at all kills that idea

Yank motors slightly  more realistic if you're after a certain spec that's hard to come across here but again exchange rate issues etc

2 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Also higher insurance. Warranty/Servicing issues etc

Only car from Japan I've considered is the Honda S660 but the fact that it has no luggage space at all kills that idea

Yank motors slightly  more realistic if you're after a certain spec that's hard to come across here but again exchange rate issues etc

There were boat loads of imported 350z's though so there definitely has been precedent for it... but i dont know if its still the done thing.  Looking at the exchange rates, back in 2002 it was 180Y to £1, now its about 140Y to £1, so 22% worse now which would be a factor i guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marzman said:

There were boat loads of imported 350z's though so there definitely has been precedent for it... but i dont know if its still the done thing.  Looking at the exchange rates, back in 2002 it was 180Y to £1, now its about 140Y to £1, so 22% worse now which would be a factor i guess.

Good point. Looking at the cost of the GT86, it’s about 10% cheaper in Japan than here. Assume a UK price for the ZP of £45k puts the cost in Japan at £40k ish, plus 22% and you’re looking at a £50k car purchase price. Plus import duty plus SVA mods plus registration plus shipping... Ouch. A very rare sight over here indeed. 

We shall see. Some indie dealers may be interested in importing a few. As time goes on we may see a few come here and with the way things are prices could change. But yes expect £50,000 range initially due to the shipping costs, registration etc.

I reckon after a year things could change if Nissan see indies importing them to UK. Im referring to UK not Europe. Its an opportunity for indies and import/export businesses to muscle in on manufacturers territories and rightly so!

Then think about After Sales support, Modifications, parts etc. Whole new area doing what the manufacturer was suppose to do. Great opportunity.

Edited by GranTurismoEra