New Z confirmed by Nissan

Adrian@TORQEN

2 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

The cabin looks disproportionally small to me

From certain angles the 370 looks cramped until you get inside. All you can see is the drivers head lol

It looks trimmer than the 370 but larger than the 240. 

Hopefully we get a full reveal in the next 9 months. Looks lower

2 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

That teaser video shows cars to be released within the next 18 months. Some cars were missing (Altima, Murano, Juke), meaning they wont be getting a facelift or new model anytime soon. GTR is 100% not getting a new model anytime soon. Not even remotely. Lol

The Z is scheduled to release next year in Japan and North America  around November 2021 as one of the last cars on the 18 month schedule. Europe is still to be determined. 

Lets see if they do what Toyota did bring a limited number. If the price is decent I expect them to continue selling at 140-200 per month in North America. At the moment they sell new 370Z at avg 120-150 per month in US with some discounts. This is inline with Alpine worldwide except North America and they chose to bring out an S. Thats why some sites are deeming it a heavy facelift as opposed to a totally new car. Due to cost of developing a new car.

Could it have released earlier? I read its been in development since September 2018 after just about being okayed by previous CEO Saikawa. Ghosn had rejected proposals in 2016/17 with plan to release in 2019...he wasnt interested but Albaisa along with Nissan USA lobbied with Saikawa, over 7 months in 2018 to bring it back. According to one comment I saw claiming insider information.

They also stated Nissan USA had a meeting with the new CEO Uchida and saw the design concepts. One being an improved center console and infotainment design. Nissan USA want new improved products to step up the brand image which is seen as bargain basement lol. 

New CEO wants to turn things around. So new "Next" models success or failure in the next 18 months are critical to him staying or going.

Albaisa is the main reason another Z is being shown at all. Its highly likely to be produced. 

You cant recover losses without new and refreshed products while scaling back and lowering targets. Hence the Next program. Cars like Altima and Juke have been refreshed recently so aren't included. Qashqai and a few others are, and should get another facelift too.

Good luck to them id say. Lets see if they get repaid for staying post brexit. Will British buy more Nissan and support Sunderland?

Out of interest, what is this based on? Not questioning your thoughts here, just interested in your sources.

• Like 1

Spoke to someone who used to work for Nissan, knew the execs and has been to Japan HQ and factories in Yokohama, Sunderland etc. He knew Hiroshi Tamura and Alfonso Albaisa

He told me there was no R36 but there will be a Z unveiled in 2020 as far back as Jan 2019. Obviously like many people I didnt believe him a 100%. Especially regarding the R36. The Z no one would have believed it anyway....

I believe its down to Albaisa and not many others who would lean towards EV and SUV. 

Ive discussed this making the Z the halo car for the next 5 years with a couple of mates. While only one or two agree its the best course considering the climate.

Its more realistic that people would buy a car at £45-£50,000 than at £100,000 which would be the most likely price of an R36. Also the cost to develop a new GTR from scratch would cost an arm. Thats why its imperative to make it (Z) the best bang for buck possible. Since people will miss the GTR. Different markets yes but it is what it is. Compromise for GTR fans would be All wheel drive, more power and DCT in the Z. Whether people would settle for that instead I dont know

The Zed is said to be a very heavy facelift hence cheaper development cost over a totally new program.

New rear quarter panels sawed, new front bumper, new headlights/rear lights and grill, front fenders, light and narrowframe, lower body, new rear bumper and diffuser area. As opposed to a totally new build from scratch is more realistic. Time will tell but its not 100% wrong

It even make sense for them to test the current 370Z with a new engine/ hybrid engine right now before testing it in a newer updated chassis

A totally new program? Id say 60% chance of launch. A heavy facelift increases chances of a go ahead like a begrudging compromise from a previous idea of a totally new car.

Tamura sounded like they had some ideas for the R36 on his visit to UK over 2 years ago. He was restricted in what he could say. The Nissan Next 18 month program has no R36 which means its on hold at least for now. It means my "source" was right back in January 2019. 

At best GTR will get a seperate reveal at a later date down the line

I believe the car will retain some 370 DNA. 

Again Time will tell. So maybe best to do what we all did 18 and 2 months ago. Reconvene when a lot more solid info and a reveal has come to light! 

ps: I agree everyones entitled to their opinions and cynism tbh. Lets wait and see I say.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

@GranTurismoEra I like and respect the fact that you're putting this info up. You've taken your fair share of cynicism and in the end been proven right.

I'm excited to hear about a new Z and I'm glad these threads have toned down with the rumour quashing. In the current world it was nice to have something to fantasise about and now it's something we can turn to anticipation. 

Gutted about the R36 but bang for buck, it's losing ground and its probably better for its reputation to stay away for a while. 

Bring on the 400z!

• Like 2

Appreciate that @Umster I'm optimistic yet Im open to changes in circumstances as anything can happen in the future.

I suppose since the teaser trailer, its done a bit to reassure people thats its not completely dead in the water 

In no way is this an I told you so or finger pointing. Either way despite wanting a new car, I too had slight doubt towards the end. We all want something to look forward to after 11 years. It may not be to all 35,000 members liking but im hoping even if only 100 people take interest and buy it we will still show enthusiasm and encourage future products.

Now its just onto the future and better news. I hope when the time comes people will register their interest in high numbers and sway Nissan to bring it here or at least import orders like some countries in EU do. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

You see, I'm much more pessimistic about it (I don't know if you could tell from these threads? :lol:) and at this point I'm still thinking it's more if the times comes than when.

I'll concede it's considerably more likely now that Nissan have actually suggested it themselves, but there's still no indication that it's coming this way at all. I mean if we're picking up on the subtle hints in Nissan's teaser video (and i generally hate to to do this because there's a high chance of reading too much into nothing!) but did anyone else notice that all the models featured are from the American market? Most exclusively so.

It's long overdue, to be honest they should have been launching it a couple of years ago. I am just glad to have finally seen something credible, after constant recycling of gossip by car sites just sitting there bored with nothing better to do. If you look back apparently this was a shoo-in for launch at the Tokyo 2018 motor show and designed by an Iranian freelancer, we still don't know for sure its called a 400z ;)

From the Nissan video, the front looks nice and moderately aggressive, the rear however looks a bit off to me. Kind of has haunches like a Bentley GT rather than the more muscular arch look of the 350z which I still think is a great looking car. 

I got excited at the Supra launch having been a Toyota owner for a while, and was ultimately disappointed (mainly down to BMW underpinnings - I do get the whole commercial rationale) - I am slightly more excited about the Z but I still have this dread having finally seen something credible now its going to underwhelm. Oh and can someone also have a word with Nissan and mention oil gasket galleries and steering lock designs :lol:

39 minutes ago, coldel said:

It's long overdue, to be honest they should have been launching it a couple of years ago. I am just glad to have finally seen something credible, after constant recycling of gossip by car sites just sitting there bored with nothing better to do. If you look back apparently this was a shoo-in for launch at the Tokyo 2018 motor show and designed by an Iranian freelancer, we still don't know for sure its called a 400z ;)

From the Nissan video, the front looks nice and moderately aggressive, the rear however looks a bit off to me. Kind of has haunches like a Bentley GT rather than the more muscular arch look of the 350z which I still think is a great looking car. 

I got excited at the Supra launch having been a Toyota owner for a while, and was ultimately disappointed (mainly down to BMW underpinnings - I do get the whole commercial rationale) - I am slightly more excited about the Z but I still have this dread having finally seen something credible now its going to underwhelm. Oh and can someone also have a word with Nissan and mention oil gasket galleries and steering lock designs :lol:

And boot lid poppers and window motors 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, coldel said:

Agree the new car will be less in yer face muscular then the 370z at least and cleaner, with the retro cues. A more mature look. Nismo version will be interesting with the added wing. 

Untitled.jpg

The roof line in the video has minimal curvature. Where that render doesn't This one has the mirror on the door which is highly unlikely design and would probably be where that render has the mirror.

In terms of Nismo they have a 5 year window with this model so hopefully will come in from the 2nd year. It might not happen if demand isnt high enough

Im now interested to see the interior. If its using a slim dash design like the 240Z and cleaner center console with circular vents and a bigger screen with dials or BRZ type switches for AC only. It has to be good software or it wont work. They should also include track timer app using GPS there instead of trying to include a timer in the dash.

I also dont see why the Ariya wont come to UK. Its said to be similar to the Leaf but in SUV format. Other models in video were Qashqai, Note, Pulsar, Navarra which will probably now be made in Sunderland. The Z however probably depends on initial demand in numbers then some consistency after. UK possibly but Europe might be the issue. 

I think Autoguides render is the most accurate so far. Time will tell subject to designers changes again im still questioning the roof line being similar to the 370 the video. The render attempts to add curvature and mirrors on the door.

I dont think Nissan will take the path with the mirrors and curved roofline. We will see...

Matt Maran reckons Nissan will call it Z400. Hopefully not. I think it should just be Z in Europe and Fairlady Z in Japan. Time will tell

inCollage_20200603_003737205.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Im now interested to see the interior. If its using a slim dash design like the 240Z and cleaner center console with circular vents and a bigger screen with dials or BRZ type switches for AC only. It has to be good software or it wont work. They should also include track timer app using GPS there instead of trying to include a timer in the dash.

Don't forget the outdated infotainment system with a tape deck :lol:

• Like 2

inCollage_20200603_003737205.jpg

If the car looks like this, I'll be happy enough. 

Just hope stance wise it has the 370z rear flares and goes retro 240z taillights. Keep the same design brief for driving performance as the 370z and its gonna be on order from me. 

2 hours ago, Umster said:

If the car looks like this, I'll be happy enough. 

Just hope stance wise it has the 370z rear flares and goes retro 240z taillights. Keep the same design brief for driving performance as the 370z and its gonna be on order from me. 

Rear lights? I think theyll be similar to 300zx but more led based.

Center console, Id like something cleaner 

Rear arches im not sure. I think theyll be similar to the render more rounded than flared. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

11 hours ago, Ekona said:

Assuming for one minute those tenders are correct, am I the only think thing it’s very generic and not a pleasing design at all? 

I think I was saying the same thing  - its more clean and subtle somewhat generic. the 370z has those bulging rear fenders and boomerang lights which make it stand out. This might might be a tiny bit bland. However I'm predicting the rear lights will really set it off and look different. Also I think the subtle body style brings out the wheels - so if they come with a decent set of rims it will complete the look. I also think that as it is retro inspired, having a few retro colours wouldn't be a bad thing - green, orange. If they offer 3 shades of grey/silver and 2 white, 2 black then it will be a bit of shame 

More renders. The rear is very F-Type to me,  which isn’t a bad thing

I see where you’re coming from Dan, I think minimalist with retro styling isn’t necessarily a bad thing, all depends on final proportions as the supra showed :lol:

6DD63D9D-9DF1-49A2-B840-650EB01F31CF.jpeg

Going retro style means simpler, cleaner lines I think. The same will be probably apply to the interior. Headlights, rear lights, colors, wheels and placement of the badges will probably be the only real things to set it apart. Itll have more of a hatchback or f type look. I dont think this bulky render is the one lol. 

These are my preferences. From Autoguide

Screenshot_20200605_185951.jpg

Screenshot_20200605_185925.jpg

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Mercedes probably with their 9 Speed Auto I reckon

I hope not :cry: because I like manual gearboxes too much! B)

I hope this new Z gets offered with a manual gearbox for sure. :cloud9:

The new Supra also makes me sad because it is auto only! :bang:

Can you tell yet that I'm a big fan of three pedals and a stick! :lol:

2 hours ago, Lee370Z said:

I hope not :cry: because I like manual gearboxes too much! B)

I hope this new Z gets offered with a manual gearbox for sure. :cloud9:

The new Supra also makes me sad because it is auto only! :bang:

Can you tell yet that I'm a big fan of three pedals and a stick! :lol:

I can tell :teeth:

• Haha 1