Just signed up - buying first Z this month!

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

welcome, 

you need to decide whether you want a DE or HR. Avoid a 2006 Rev Up, not worth the hassle.

Thank you - will dodge the 06 RevUp. Stock performance wise do you think there is a big difference between the DR and HR? 

Some folks says yes, others say no. Best to have a drive if both and see what you think. Characteristics of the two engine is different too, HR is more rev happy with an extra 1000rpm to use. 

There is nothing wrong with the revup - have been reports of it being a bit greedy on oil, but some DE non revups were as well (I know mine was). 

OP for that budget, you are looking at a reasonable early DE, maybe get the GT spec if you can as there as some nice extras there. Performance wise nothing between the DE and DE revup that you will notice day to day, the HR engine though was pretty much rebuilt from the ground up and a different beast altogether - but on your budget you would do well to avoid HR's as they are probably full of problems awaiting to jump out and cost you a few quid to sort. 

Do bear in mind you are buying a 15 year old car, do make sure you have a good understanding of running costs i.e. new clutch and flywheel will set you back £600, brakes are hundreds for pads and similarly for discs. You can easily spend over a grand getting a few perishables done and it does come as a surprise to new owners who are used to spending £40 for a set of pads on a warm hatchback or the like. 

5 hours ago, HenryWaddilove said:

Thank you - will dodge the 06 RevUp. Stock performance wise do you think there is a big difference between the DR and HR? 

personally ive never been in a HR. I heard its more refined and has 30 more hp if that. I had an 03 DE my brother had a 37,000 mile 04 DE. Very torquey and nice drive. Just that some DE may be starting to rust in places. His one was clean because it was garaged most of its life and not driven in winter.

HR is faster and revs higher. DE has good low end torque and tax is £325 and climbing every year. 06 and GT engines up to you. Do a lot of research on them as well as the HR. 

For the money proposed like someone said better to get a nice example DE than stretching to a high miler, high owner HR. 

Buy on condition and service history over mileage. Be patient looking

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Massive difference between an HR and a DE, hell there’s a big difference between a Revup and a HR too. The torque difference between the two is impossible to tell, the extra 1000 (or 500) revs makes a defined difference to the driving experience. 

Nicer interior on the later models, too. 

The DE Revup has the improved interior, same as the HR.

The redline of the Revup is only 500 rpm less than the HR, I suppose some people like to 'redline' but not everyone.

'Some' Revup's burnt extra oil (not a problem if you keep an eye on it or have previously owned RX8's) but not all of them. Lots on this forum have never had a problem with excessive oil consumption. Some HR's have had oil gallery gaskets fail but no-one seems to say not to buy an HR.

The most annoying thing with the Revup is the high tax (as HR) but the upside is the better interior.