Thin & rusting paintwork on 370z

Idder

I am interested in buying a late (2018) 370z Nismo, but have been s little put off by some reports I am reading on other internet forums regarding poor factory paint (thin coats) finishes which leads to chipping paintwork & the onset of rust. Naturally this worries me a lot as I am looking at spending £25k & I do not want a potential rust bucket on my hands in a few years time. Are there also problems with the underside, chassis & subframe coroding even if car is well looked after & garaged? I am asking you guys who own & cherish your cars, is this a real & genuine problem or is this just idol scaremongering & exaggeration that you seem to get on most internet forums? I look forward to your response...

Edited by Idder

In terms of paintwork would be silly not to get the car detailed and ceramic coated and maybe PPF’d. In terms of the underbody Japanese cars do tend to rust very easily but again you can seal the underside to prevent this. Whatever you’ve been reading does seem to be maybe over exaggerating but they do definitely suffer with rust over time. 

17 hours ago, Idder said:

I am interested in buying a late (2018) 370z Nismo, but have been s little put off by some reports I am reading on other internet forums regarding poor factory paint (thin coats) finishes which leads to chipping paintwork & the onset of rust. Naturally this worries me a lot as I am looking at spending £25k & I do not want a potential rust bucket on my hands in a few years time. Are there also problems with the underside, chassis & subframe coroding even if car is well looked after & garaged? I am asking you guys who own & cherish your cars, is this a real & genuine problem or is this just idol scaremongering & exaggeration that you seem to get on most internet forums? I look forward to your response...

The shape of the front end does 'attract' stone chips just like any other coupe. I have never had a stone chip go rusty because I regularly check and touch up.

Most modern cars have crap paint compared to how it was in the good old days when they were very solvent based. My other car is a 2018 Kia and my daughter has a 2018 Renault, both low mileage and both shocking for stone chips so I don't think my current 2016 370Z is any better or worse.

If you are buying a 2018 370Z Nismo then you really don't need to worry about rust. Just regularly check for chips and treat and touch up and you will be fine. For chips I usually use a no.1 artist brush (very fine tip) and just touch in carefully. Each chip may get two or three light applications so it is level with the rest of the paint which is far better than the 'blob' that many people put on. 

If you concerned about stone chips then get a clear film fitted to the front end of the car, i had this done when i bought my 370 new ten years ago and i don't have a single blemish, not cheap but any thing worthwhile rarely is.

PPF your front bumper and bonnet (yes I've seen stone chips on the bonnet). 

The W brace will inevitably rust but if you garage it and avoid salt/grit then it'll survive 10+ years. If you're ahead of the curve then you can coat/treat it before any obvious signs set in. 

Get an aluminium undertray to help the OEM swaybar from flaking and rusting. 

Check the rear wheel arches for dirt - best indication on how well its been detailed and if its been driven in snow/mud/dirt/salt/grit etc (expect more on the left wheel arch compared to the right for obvious reasons)