Still stalling at idle.... P1283 **SOLVED**

evest

Hi all,

So really stuck here, I have a persistent problem - I may need to bite the bullet and head off for a full diagnostic, but hoping somebody can help me.

2003 UK Zed, so DE non rev-up, about 170K miles

Car was basically starting ok and driving ok - but after warming up (and I think completing its various 'loops'??) the car would struggle when slowing to a halt at traffic lights etc, sometimes stalling. When warm it would also idle rough and sometimes stall - but not always.

Fault codes indicted problem with upstream O2 sensors, which I have replaced both with new OEM ones. I have also just put in new spark plugs and having stripped down to removing the fuel rails and intake manifold, the fuel injectors all seem ok. I believe the MAF is ok but not sure how to verify this. No obvious sign of air leaks or fuel leaks, but car can smell a bit petrol-y at start up (more than it ever did before).

I've reset ECU and done the various other idle and throttle learning procedures.

After a few short drives without issue, I today did a slightly longer one and the problem has come back - fault codes are now pending as:

P1281

P1283

and Mode 6:

TID:$4e CID:$0f

Max: 33,067

Test result value: 33,267

FAIL

anybody know what this mode 6 code means?

I can't see me being unlucky enough to have installed a duff new O2 sensor - could it be a wiring problem further along? Any other ideas as to this problem?

Really stuck!

Ps - if it is a knackered MAF:

Could this translate into improper O2 sensor readings, throwing the fault codes indicated? I'd have thought MAF would have it's own fault code though.

Would the rough idle problem be apparent on cold start?

I've had a dead battery which has been jump started and now charged up through driving. Have the few good runs been a result of the car running from default map, after a period of which the problem returns?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this thing out!

Finger in the air, I'd say coolant temperature sensor. If the ECU believes the engine to still be cold when it's actually warmed up, it'll over fuel causing the symptoms you describe.

• Thanks 1

Well I think I have now resolved this - replaced MAF. My other car is a Nissan Juke (aka the dogmobile), which uses the same MAF as a zed, so I swapped them over.

No more stalling and idle is very smooth, the petrol smell on start up also seems to have gone away. After a few journeys, the DTC (P1283) has not returned and the Mode 6 issue above is now a pass every time. I will keep monitoring it, but clearly looks like MAF was at fault and messing up the fuel ratio. The car did not detect a faulty MAF though, and the fault was manifest as an upstream O2 sensor issue.

I've yet to test the old MAF in the Juke, but any problems there will definitely confirm it as the culprit.

Like I say, all seems good now, and with 170K on the clock, the car is running great!

• evest changed the title to Still stalling at idle.... P1283 **SOLVED**

A final update to this thread - hopefully it might help somebody else who is having repeat trouble codes.

So having replaced the upstream O2 Sensors and the MAF, the fault code P1283 and associated Mode $6 fault came back yet again; although the car was driving very well and without the symptoms of poor idle and stalling when coming to a halt. So it appeared the actual fault had been repaired by the car was still not happy. Very frustrating, but I decided to search the Nissan Technical Bulletins, and I found this:

Purchase Online Subscription to View this ItemSubject: SB "Nissan"; Must Clear Self Learning After Repairing DTC P01273/P1274/P1283
Summary of NTB04126:

IF YOU CONFIRM:
A MIL "ON" with any of the following DTC(s) stored:
* P1273 / P1283 (A/F Sensor Bank-1 / 2 -Lean Monitor)
* P1274 / P1284 (A/F Sensor Bank-1 / 2 -Rich Monitor)
ACTIONS:
1. Repair the vehicle as necessary.
* Refer to ASISTfor diagnostic and repair information.
2. Clear the engine ECU Self-Learning.
IMPORTANT: If Self-Learning Is Not Cleared:
* The DTC may be stored again; even if no malfunction exists.
* This could result in the customer returning with the same incident
("come-back" repair).

See this bulletin for further detail.

The Nissan Technical Service Bulletins can be found here:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmIndex.aspx?tsbType=TSB

(Note - you can only see the summary of the bulletin unless you pay a subscription to see the whole thing.)

The reset procedure in question is NOT a simple ECU reset. It is the "mixture ratio self-learning" reset, which I understand resets all the stored fuel trims.

You can find it here:

https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/z/projects/nissan_z_clear_self_learning.php

In short, you unplug the MAF, start the engine for a few seconds - which throws a MAF DTC P0102. Plug MAF back in, clear the fault codes and let it idle for 10 minutes (with optional coffee). After this, it should be fine. In my case, with the MAF unplugged the slip/TCS and ABS lights came on too, but after turning off and on again, they did not return.

Since doing this, I have driven the car a number of times and my symptoms and fault codes have not returned and the car is driving very well. The Mode $6 fault indication has not returned either - I never found out what the value meant but it seems to be staying within the approved limits.

So if you have P1273, P1283, P1274, P1284, make sure you do the procedure above after you have fixed the underlying fault.

All the best :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2