Engine issues - new owner

JammyJayC

Hi guys, having some trouble with the Z. Just wondering if any if the below rings a bell with anyone before I go down the "take it to the garage" route. 

1 - I will post a video soon showing what I mean but here goes. Engine up to temp driving along, when i engage the clutch to slow down at lights for example, the revs will drop to 1500 or so, raise slightly to 1700ish before settling to around 1000. This happens over about 4-5 seconds. Once at 1000rpm it stays idling like that all day long. Is this a symptom of a failing/dirty sensor/hose etc? Resetting ECU does not solve this. 

2 - there is a terrible flat spot in the power band between 3.8krpm and 4.3krpm. Everywhere else sweet as a nut. 

3 - EML comes on after refueling, and intermittently for the next 100 or so miles. I believe this is something to do with fuel level in the tank, maybe triggering a sensor? With the EML on, the idle then stays at 1.6krpm until I reset the ECU. 

4 - starting engine from cold, revs go to around 1krpm before quickly going lumpy, stuttering and stalling. Only way to stop it is to give it some gas for a few seconds and it steadies out. 

Just wondering if anything here resonates with anyone, if my symptoms are indicative of certain components of systems etc, if there's anything I can do right now at home really. Thanks for looking and thanks for any help. 

Edited by JammyJayC

Thanks, it could be but no cleaner for it. I have just bought a JOBD reader - it will most likely point me in the right direction before I start fiddling and making things worse! It should arrive Friday. I'm pretty confident in the "doing" but not so much the diagnosis. 

Check air breather intake pipe has no cracks or holes.. Had this on another car with very similar symptoms. Often the flexible rubber parts crack and let air in upstream of the maf meaning car gets confused with amount of air maf is reading compared to amount entering engine. 

So I got bored and thought cleaning the filters and throttle bodies wouldn't do any harm. They were pretty dirty. Pics are of the nearside TB. This also seems to have addressed the stalling issues. Did a few tappy taps on the pedals and now she's idling where she should be - a nice low warble :D

20200429_181003.jpg

20200429_175755.jpg

Edited by JammyJayC
Pics added