Headlight Tinting

Brad350Zed

Hey guys,

Today looks like a great today to clean the Z :D 

I'm also going to try and use some Headlight Restorer (QUIXX) and I got some 3M Shiny Purple Vinyl to put over, fingers crossed it looks decent! seen a few Zed's with it one recently.

Has anyone else Wrapped/Tinted their Headlights?

Capture.PNG

I've done headlights, ideally you're gonna need 2 people as you're gonna need someone to hold the material as you stretch and squeegee it down. If you have a squeegee, cover it in cloth or something equivalent to stop friction and scratches. You'll need a heat gun too. Don't overheat, get it warm and keep the heat consistent across the material. :thumbs:

19 minutes ago, Brad350Zed said:

Had a go today, was awful, not sure if it’s because tint was amazon crap, but I know it’s hard to do anyway, just creased like hell and heat gun couldn’t even get them out, I’ll try another day :shrug:

Did you take the top film off?

Like a plum I applied my clear film and it looked all cloudy/ripply so I took it straight off.

Later got told it was because of the top protective layer that should be removed at the end :lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Did you take the top film off?

Like a plum I applied my clear film and it looked all cloudy/ripply so I took it straight off.

Later got told it was because of the top protective layer that should be removed at the end :lol:

Possibily mate! Tbh it wouldnt even stretch very good, even with the heat gun, and ended up burning some small holes in the vinyl -_- I will try again another day, this was with two people as well hahaha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippypooz said:

You could just fill it with a clear glue.

that sounds a better plan as did not want to tint.

would supper glue do it then sand back ? would you have to open the crack up some how first ?

16 minutes ago, napp said:

that sounds a better plan as did not want to tint.

would supper glue do it then sand back ? would you have to open the crack up some how first ?

I'm planning on a repair on my 370z headlights, it's gonna mean baking the light and taking it to pieces to glue, sand and polish it. Gonna finish it all off with a wrap to protect it from the elements. 

But yes I'm assuming the best way is to open the headlights and glue on the inside and outside, sand/smooth it down and polish/coat it. 

Share some photos of your headlights. 

the head light got some condensation in it over the winter with all that rain , I bought a car cover and it dried out just fine. I tend to keep the cover on the car because its a roadster, we are blessed with sea gulls .

I was polishing the lights today and spotted a very small hair line crack, don't know if it will show on a photo but will take one tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, zippypooz said:

As above napp, post a pic of the headlight. Is the water getting in or not?

These lights have a tendency to cracking, more like a crazy paving effect, you'll see it on most zeds.

It could be the seals at the back of the light rather than water getting in through the lense. Maybe check the seals before doing anything to the lense housing. 

4 hours ago, Brad350Zed said:

Had a go today, was awful, not sure if it’s because tint was amazon crap, but I know it’s hard to do anyway, just creased like hell and heat gun couldn’t even get them out, I’ll try another day :shrug:

I've used these guys in the past, good stuff. Worth a shot?

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/vtcust0ms