Oil Overfill/Dipstick Hard to Read?

Brad350Zed

I'm sure this has been asked many times before... 

I fully serviced my car around January 2020 putting exactly 4.7 Litres in, done around 1k miles and its the end of April now, havent checked the dipstick until now because its rubbish anyway, and I just don't know if the reading is correct, it's halfway between the L & H, so I topped it up with about 0.3 Litres...

Ran car for a bit just to check, no smoke or anything, PSI on the gauge was a smidge higher than normal, not sure if its full or not due to the dipstick! 

has anyone else had this issue? and anything to solve it :( 

Cheers! :D 

3 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Check from cold (preferably left overnight) on a level surface and you will get an easy, accurate reading.

I always check from Cold, Oil doesnt seem to stick on the dipstick accurately, I try and not catch it on things on the way out but sometimes its impossible and there is oil smugged all over the stick at that point :lol:

I will try again today, if it's still half way betwwen the L/H then I assume its drinking oil 

Total agree absoultly stupid design..!! :thumbdown: some years ago I remember checking me oil and didn't put the dip stick in totally (with out realising) and took a mate down the road for spin and given some beans all of a sudden smoke bellowing out and I thought I knew what it was, so it's not just checking it's the whole way they come out and go back in as well..!! 

But saying that it's something you get used to eventually.

I did the same, the smoke out the back I initially thought it was coming from the tailpipes and thought the worst. Turned out I hadn't put the dipstick back in fully, argh. The mess it made down the one side of the engine and under tray was substantial. 

Checked this morming, haven’t ran the car for over 24 hours so coldest reading I’ll get lol 

took 5 readings all about the same, tried pulling the dipstick out as slowly as I could trying not to catch it on anything...

this was the general reading, car had a service 4.7 Litres of oil in January 2020, I put 0.3 Litres in last week, so the car has had 5l of Oil put in all together, does it need more? 

550BCE75-83E3-4F7B-874C-D6769675D523.jpeg

B3C3B608-6672-445A-9E4C-F2DEFC51A0E7.jpeg

Wow......I can see what you mean about alot of oil smearing your dipstick.

It does appear that you're half way between min and max there.

So in 3 months you may have lost the 500ml from the max to midway level, plus the 300ml you added as a top up.

What mileage have you done since your oil change?

Also is it an old DE or rev up etc?

Edited by HEADPHONES

30 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Wow......I can see what you mean about alot of oil smearing your dipstick.

It does appear that you're half way between min and max there.

So in 3 months you may have lost the 500ml from the max to midway level, plus the 300ml you added as a top up.

What mileage have you done since your oil change?

Also is it an old DE or rev up etc?

DE, I’ve done about 1000 miles between, car is on 109k now 

My zed has been left standing for 4 hours now, so nipped out to check oil level.

On first removing the dipstick I get similar.

Reverse side

350z dipstick

Main side

350z dipstick

First wiped and redipped.

Pulled out 4-5 inches then held the dipstick by handle with one hand and 4-5 inches lower down with the other for a steadier withdrawal

Reverse side

350z dipstick

Main side

350z dipstick

So sometimes the level is easier to read on the reverse side, sometimes the main side.

Definitely improvement as you wipe excess away and repeat.

Also I think my oil was still warm after 4 hours.

This warm weather probably doesn't help to reduce oil temps after just a few hours.

Road level is vital too.

My brother had a brand new car 

Told him the importance of regularly checking oil levels.

He was shocked it was at min.

Topped up with 1 litre.

Following day checks the oil....... it's wayyyyy over.

He's however parked on the other side of the street and tells me it's on an incline:doh:

Siphoned out 1 litre and checked on a level surface at his work and discovered all was well even before he started messing with oil at max from the factory :lol: