350z Best tyre pad combo for trackdays.

Roscoe

Afternoon everyone, 

what pads and tyres are people using for trackdays?

my current setup is 

Pad - ds2500 with Dba discs and rbf660. Good combo but it seems to eat the pads.

Tyres - MPSS not exceeding 35 psi once fully warmed up on standard rays. Again good but am looking for something a bit more track focused but still road legal? 
I mainly use Bedford autodrome as its on my door step which is a fast circuit... and the z is obviously a heavy old girl. 
what’s your opinions ?

cheers

Ross

I don't like those pads personally, I've had fade on the road with them.

I prefer to have 2 sets of pads, 1 for the track and one for the road.

I'm using AD08R, Hawk DCT-70's (bit too brutal, will try 60's another time) for track and I put street pads on for the obvious.

Look at your rear pads if you're using ABS, I just pull the fuse for now but will do the same thing 350Butcher did with his ABS unit when I can.

See this thread:

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/110772-fast-roadtrack-350z-hr-build/?do=findComment&comment=1818908 

Pretty sure the Yoko A052 is the highest performance tyre available in UK while still road legal? Bloody expensive though... AD08R might be the next best.

Maybe look into Nankang AR-1 ? Think they're available in different wear ratings?

I run the Yoko A052 and they are a brilliant tyre, especially in the wet.

My tyre of choice for slicks are Yoko A005 which is also a superb tyre.

I have a huge selection of new and preowned track orientated tyres for sale in my recent For Sale thread.

Have a look and drop me a Pm if you have any questions.    

Are you running 18" or 19"?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

I run the Yoko A052 and they are a brilliant tyre, especially in the wet.

My tyre of choice for slicks are Yoko A005 which is also a superb tyre.

I have a huge selection of new and preowned track orientated tyres for sale in my recent For Sale thread.

Have a look and drop me a Pm if you have any questions.    

Are you running 18" or 19"?

Hi Alex, I’m currently just running with the standard rays, but am looking to either replace the wheels complete with new track tyres or get some more track focused tyres for the standard rays if the sizes are available. 

You won't get much better for the money than the Rays for track use mate.

Depending on how many track days you plan to do, if might be a plan to have 2 x sets of Rays/tyres

1 x set for wet conditions and the other for slicks.

I have plenty preowned slicks available at £50.00 per tyre.

I also have some new Toyo R888s and Federals and Dunlops which you should consider.

Let me know if I can help further.

I can also advise on the pads once I get a bit more info on what you are looking for.

9 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

You won't get much better for the money than the Rays for track use mate.

Depending on how many track days you plan to do, if might be a plan to have 2 x sets of Rays/tyres

1 x set for wet conditions and the other for slicks.

I have plenty preowned slicks available at £50.00 per tyre.

I also have some new Toyo R888s and Federals and Dunlops which you should consider.

Let me know if I can help further.

I can also advise on the pads once I get a bit more info on what you are looking for.

Yeah would like to keep the rays they are good wheels. What pad would you say is ok for track? I do still use the car on the road but it’s not a daily. 

15 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

Yeah would like to keep the rays they are good wheels. What pad would you say is ok for track? I do still use the car on the road but it’s not a daily. 

Are you running Brembo calipers ?

What DBA rotor are you using front/rear?

What power are you putting down?

The T2 is not a great rotor for track days, it is more a fast road rotor at best.

The T3 is a far better choice for track and also good for road.

There of course many other quality brands available as well like PF, AP Racing etc.

if you are after a pad for track and road use then compromises will have to come into play.

Much will depend on if you want initial cold bite (for road use)

How much noise you can suffer

How much dust you can put up with

How aggressive you want the pad to be.

How rotor friendly you want the pad to be.

How much you want to spend.

I am still a big fan of PF and Carbotech for the fronts, however you have to choose your compound carefully.

You can fit a lesser pad to the rears like Hawk, Stoptech, or Brembo etc.

Proper fluid and decent lines are a given, as are warm up and cool down.

• Like 1

IMO the standard Brembo discs are pretty much as good as anything you can buy as an "upgrade" ...... and youve already got 4 ;)

I loved CF pads on my Zed and continue to use them on other cars but as Alex said, PF, Carbotech, Pagid RS, Endless are all very good, much better performance than DS2500 (which arent bad as a fast road pad at all)

My Zed with CF RC5 pads, RBF600 fluid and braided lines used to brake so hard I was convinced the rear wheels were off the ground :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just adding my 2 cents - tried Goodyear F1 Supersports on the rears for the first time at Snetterton this Wednesday and it was very wet. They were very impressive in the wet - in a recent test they performed significantly better than mp4s in the wet in a M2c. Obviously road legal and won’t be as track focused as the semi slicks above. 

15 hours ago, Stan350Z said:

Just adding my 2 cents - tried Goodyear F1 Supersports on the rears for the first time at Snetterton this Wednesday and it was very wet. They were very impressive in the wet - in a recent test they performed significantly better than mp4s in the wet in a M2c. Obviously road legal and won’t be as track focused as the semi slicks above. 

I have just put supersports on and I am seriously impressed with them, my last track day at Blyton with caria Le conditions the car just gripped, I was pushing hard for 20 minute sessions and grip levels stayed the same

• 1 year later...