Engine Bay Cleaning

Kaikora

It's not a particularly sophisticated job, nor does it require too many special tools, it does require elbow grease and patience. What you need will depend on the state of your engine bay.

If it's just a quick refresh, then old microfibre towels and all purpose cleaner are plenty. If it's filthy, then a degreaser is handy. If it's really filthy then carb cleaner (applied to a rag and rubbed in hard with a finger) will shift most things.

Whatever the state, some kind of brush for agitating tough and/or tight areas is very useful.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 08.45.20.png

If you're going to splash water all over from a hose, or get a pressure washer on it, then wrap up the sensitive electrical bits (if you don't know what these are, then avoid sloshing water around.)

When you do get it clean, the best thing you can do is get some protection on (I've been using this, but there are lots of options - https://tinyurl.com/y7wgzyvk) to make your life easier in future. The secret is that once you get it clean, keep it clean as just part of your normal wash.

However, it's no secret I have a man crush on Larry, so it would be remiss of me to not post a link to a video.

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/guide-cleaning-engine-compartment/

• Like 2

Essentially what Stu said really.

Only thing I might add is if you’ve got a steam cleaner that’s usually easier for stubborn dirt or tight areas.

Use cheap micro fibre cloths, there’s nothing too delicate under the bonnet and you’re likely to ruin a few doing this.

In terms of protection, for once (and pretty much only one) I would recommend AutoGlym Rubber and Vinyl is ideal - cheap, full of shiny silicones and it’s literally spray all over and walk away. No levelling, wiping or buffing, and cheap as... well AG - but 303 (Stu’s link) is better if you don’t just want to pop to Halfords (in at least 3 more weeks!).

And don’t forget to give the underside of the bonnet a once over too to finish it all off.

• Like 2

Amazing info already guys. @SuperStu shall guide me nicely. I shan’t be using the pressure washer or hose, just the old fashion elbow grease! Really glad @ilogikal1 came in as well, he is a wonder with detailing!

what sort of steam cleaner would you recommend? I probably won’t need as the car is well looked after with only 30k miles and kept in the garage so pretty good but definitely needs a spruce up. 

maybe a bit of a rinse down afterwards is possible? Perhaps I’ll use a watering can so I don’t use too much water!

im stuck abroad at the moment but promise I’ll do some before and after shots when I get round to being able to crack on! 

• Like 2

Any cheap and cheerful steam cleaner will do, try to get one with a few different nozzles if you can as that'll determine what it's practical to use it on, but essentially any will do really.

Water isn't necessary and you wont really need to rinse afterwards; you can wipe down any chemicals used if preferred. However the only things to avoid with water (if you're not using a pressure washer) is exposed battery terminals and the air intake - both of which are pretty well protected on a Z - everything else should be fine under your avarage tap water pressure (or less), using an open ended hose. A watering can will be absolutely fine.

I did mine recently

Plastic bag over battery and fuse boxes, bit of masking on some electric components/alternator depending on vehicle. If you do use a jet wash, make sure you dont keep it pointed at a vulnerable part (plugs etc).

Good de-greaser style all purpose cleaner: I use/recommend Bilt hamber surfex HD mixed 5-1 iirc

Assortment of brushes: the one shown above, an old toothbrush for getting in very tight gaps and i found the EZ detail brush very good for between pipes and looms and hard to reach lower areas:

ez-detail_1.jpg

Do the underside of bonnet first, spray on APS, work in and rinse off. 

Then work on quarters, top right for example. Spray APC liberally and work in all areas using brushes and cloths, rinse before moving on. 

Theres no work around, its just elbow grease and being meticulous. Take your time

After, dry with towels/blower etc whatever you have. Then apply some dressing. Car Pro Perl is cheap and flexible to use on everything. Metals can be hit with some metal polish. 

Before

CAoZzdF.jpg

After:

v3BoQJb.jpg

Have fun 

PS: I actually snow foamed mine with a mix of Foam and APC:

u00TN7i.jpg

Not really necessary though

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 1