MOT fail - scrap, repair, sell??

DRP08

Disaster! My 350Z has failed it’s MOT! It’s an 05 plate with 130k miles, and list of failure elements below.  I wondered if the concensus was:

1) Scrap it (or sell privately as it is) - it’ll be a money pit from here on. If this was the case, does anyone else know a ballpark figure I might get for it?

2) Get the work done - either keep it, or sell it. Would be useful to know if this would work cost wise - roughly how much it’d cost to get it through the MOT, and how much I might get selling it with an MOT (Vs without). 

[or 3) keep it and plough money in to it because I love it!! Unfortunately, been furloughed recently, so probably not an option in he short term....]

All thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated!! 

Thanks,

MOT Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Nearside Front Tyre has ply or cords exposed (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Wheel bearing so rough it is likely to overheat or break up (5.1.3 (b) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Offside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))
  • Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn Both wishbones (5.3.4 (a) (i))n
  • Confused 1

Sounds like a repair to me.

All parts are in stock and good to go same/next day.

£100.00 should cover the cost of the parts providing your headlamp failure is only a bulb or ballast.

Garage labour will be circa £100.00 - £150.00

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Hardly a disaster.

• Like 1

That's nothing to be worried about mate, new tyre, new bulb and a suspension arm that's it.

£400 max, and thats paying someone to do it,

2nd hand good condition bearing and suspension arm/Bush off zman, then tyres can be anything from £40 - £200 depends what you want. Get on ebay and get a pair of used decent tyres for cheap.

If the Bush/arm and bearing are that bad It must have been making a horrible racket for a long time, how did you not notice?? :headhurt:

Tyres down to the cords.. cars need to be maintained you know. 

If you keep up with maintenance through the year doing little bits here and there you dont end up with big bills like this in 1 go :) Although this is only a small bill to be honest and you were thinking of scraping... 

New pads and discs all round are 700ish, 4 new tyres 400ish, then the rust... These aren't cheap cars you can just beat on and forget about. It's not a peasant pergeot where parts are cheap as chips :)

Edited by Rob350

Haha you should see the list for our van, it's a Zed - doesn't that mean it's always a fix? Lol. 

I put my hand through part of my wheel arch the other day... Still a fix in my book :thumbs:

Edited by Oggieteepo

Thanks for all the replies guys! (Apologies for the delayed response - I think I locked myself out of my account!!)

Definitely sounds like it’s a repair job rather than scrap, and a pretty unanimous decision at that!! My garage advised getting rid of it after looking underneath, but perhaps they wanted it off me for scrap value too?! ;-)

I’ve had it 10 years now, and perhaps got a bit complacent about the regular maintenance, but there didn’t seem to be any issues before the MOT (ie still sounded like it was running smoothly). 

Ill get in touch with ZMAN, then it’s just a case of finding a garage that’s open! My usual one is closed - I’ve found one just down the road but first impression was a bit suspicious (people a bit dodgy, and can fit me in straight away). It has to get the car through MOT though, so can’t be too bad.......right?!! :-o