Best brake discs?

Dan350ZGT

Hi all had my 350z about a year now and love it but the front brake discs are a little warped and are aftermarket (from a former owner) I think it’s time to replace them so wandering what are people’s recommendations? Don’t really want to give up the drilled and groove look though ;) 

898B43C8-2DF9-474B-AECF-10561829C1D6.jpeg

Personally, I would focus on the car for the looks and brakes for effectiveness!

Heard various internet stories about avoiding drilled discs on cars, but who knows what is true and what isn't.

On mine I ended up going for grooved discs. Now onto my second VX220 and in a community of people that track cars all the time, they are much less focused on the discs and put their £s towards the pads. 

Budgets not to tight I’d rather spend that little bit extra for some quality brakes just not way into the 100s mark the cars only used on the weekends and locked away in the winter just want to get the wobble gone was thinking of going for the oem Brembos. 
got a link to those shortpaul?

6 minutes ago, coldel said:

Personally, I would focus on the car for the looks and brakes for effectiveness!

Heard various internet stories about avoiding drilled discs on cars, but who knows what is true and what isn't.

On mine I ended up going for grooved discs. Now onto my second VX220 and in a community of people that track cars all the time, they are much less focused on the discs and put their £s towards the pads. 

There’s the thing the ones I’ve got on do work well it’s just the crappy wobble. And I don’t track mine so might not be worth even going aftermarket pads are fine aswell 

4 minutes ago, coldel said:

Have a nose around on the traders sites on here (Torqen, Tarmac, Cougar Store etc) and you will see plenty of options. DBA are around £250 for a pair https://www.cougarstore.co.uk/nissan-350z-dba-t2-brake-discs--front-98-p.asp

Ah okay thanks for that I’ll have a look anything you recommend to avoid? 

Edited by Dan350ZGT

I sold my zed about ten years ago, so not up to date on whats good and whats not! Maybe current car owners better placed to give pointers. 

Common brands I hear used are stoptech, black diamond (I had these), DBA - EBC are for sale everywhere with up and down reviews. 

3 hours ago, Dan350ZGT said:

Hi all had my 350z about a year now and love it but the front brake discs are a little warped and are aftermarket (from a former owner) I think it’s time to replace them so wandering what are people’s recommendations? Don’t really want to give up the drilled and groove look though ;)

898B43C8-2DF9-474B-AECF-10561829C1D6.jpeg

Have you thought about getting them skimmed? 

Last time I swapped the brakes on my zed I went for oem Brembo discs/pads because I wasn't sure what the previous owner fitted and I only use the car as a daily (plus the odd spirited drive). 

For £300 all round they're not bad, but next time I think I'll spend more and go for something like Stoptech, hawk or DBA that'll hopefully give me a bit more stopping power and less dust. 

Just fitted New Stoptech, drilled and slotted all round with street pads.  Good enough for fast road, normal driving.  Wish I had paid an extra $200 or so more for the two piece discs, the reduction in weight alone would have been worth it.

Bought the lot from the States, and Chris at Tarmac came the closest to matching the price, not sure how difficult or not that would be now, given the current circumstance.

Good shout above about going stock, pretty sure they’ll be all you need :thumbs:

• Like 1

Before you go spending money are your current discs actually worn?

Bear in mind the car comes with Brembos as standard, Stoptechs are not the same quality so your paying more to downgrade. 
Discs dont actually "warp", they pick up deposits on the braking surface so a skim may well be all you need

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docwra said:

Bear in mind the car comes with Brembos as standard, Stoptechs are not the same quality so your paying more to downgrade. 
Discs dont actually "warp", they pick up deposits on the braking surface so a skim may well be all you need

To add to that, do not forget about DTV and also fix the root cause before you splash your cash

1 hour ago, docwra said:

Recommend any places that can do it? I’m in the Bournemouth area and a quick search online ain’t showing anything 

On 09/04/2020 at 11:24, docwra said:

As per this post, it could be deposits on the discs.

Have you tried bedding the discs in again, sometimes that is enough to shift the deposits.

Yep a quick rebed could sort you out, drilled and grooved are a bit pointless as pads don't generate the gasses they used to (even though I have grooved). Anything midrange will sort you out, blue print and up. With braking it's the pads that do the bulk of the work so that's where you should spend your money when replacing pads and brakes.