What are you doing

ShortPaul

14 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Did my first ever cut.

Normally have a zero back and sides and a number 5 on top.

My wife point blank refused to help as she was too scared.

So had to ce up with a plan.

How do I level where the fade starts

I used a sports elastic sunglasses strap.

Joined with a piece of Lego where the glasses arms normally go.

Got a snug fit round my head and decided where the fade would start.

Then hacked a line with a zero on the clippers

At this point I started to worry a bit but there was no going back.

Did a number 5 on the top.

Then went through numbers 4,3,2,1 fading off with the zero.

Could you not have just put a mixing bowl on your head?

I am old enough to remember the Purdy cut : )

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Did my first ever cut.

Normally have a zero back and sides and a number 5 on top.

My wife point blank refused to help as she was too scared.

So had to ce up with a plan.

How do I level where the fade starts

I used a sports elastic sunglasses strap.

Joined with a piece of Lego where the glasses arms normally go.

Got a snug fit round my head and decided where the fade would start.

DIY haircut

Then hacked a line with a zero on the clippers

DIY haircut

DIY haircut

At this point I started to worry a bit but there was no going back.

Did a number 5 on the top.

Then went through numbers 4,3,2,1 fading off with the zero.

DIY haircut

Fair shout headphones

I have only been into a barbers shop once in the last 26 years and that was when I had to take the kids to have their hair cut. I have a skinhead, just use some croppers with no attachments and on the lowest setting. Must have saved a fortune on haircuts over the years. Did have an issue the other day when I had to style the kids hair with some wax or something. Was a wtf do you do with this stuff moment. :lol:

My 3 year old now also has a skinhead as the wife borrowed my croppers to try and cut his hair and completely ballsed it up, so had to shave it all off. Poor lad. He looks like that kid in "This is England" now. Doesnt help that he is proper hench for his age. At least we wont have any issues with people keeping their "social distance" from us. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking fowards to 5pm today, apart from Easter Sunday been working/oncall every day since the 3rd. 

It's been the most stressful stint at work I've ever done. Not necessarily the busiest interms of actual patient numbers, but I've never seen plans/demand change so quickly. 

Yesterday went from feeling 'relaxed' after seeing COVID+ patient numbers continue to fall, to near full out panic when ITU called and told us they were running out of fluids for their dialysis machines and if we could help.

We have gone from having 3 COVID+ patients in the department to now having 2 wards full. I've lost count of the number of COVID+ patients I've seen, wearing PPE is now second nature, I've also lost count of patients who have sadly passed away, can someone make this virus go away now please??? :(.

Anyways, 12hrs to go, than having a bottle of wine, may be two :).

Bizzarly I've not come down with this virus, three out of 4 colleagues whom have been working with me during the same time period have now tested positive. So either 2 of us are super good/lucky at PPE, or we are the 10-20% of asymptomatic super spreader!!!

Edited by gangzoom
  • Thanks 3

Lets hope it’s good at ppe :thumbs:   You’re doing a fantastic job in near impossible  circumstances and the nation is behind you, willing you on.  Keep doing what you’re doing with ppe and keep safe.  

Theres not enough adequate words to describe how much you are appreciated.

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Looking fowards to 5pm today, apart from Easter Sunday been working/oncall every day since the 3rd. 

It's been the most stressful stint at work I've ever done. Not necessarily the busiest interms of actual patient numbers, but I've never seen plans/demand change so quickly. 

Yesterday went from feeling 'relaxed' after seeing COVID+ patient numbers continue to fall, to near full out panic when ITU called and told us they were running out of fluids for their dialysis machines and if we could help.

We have gone from having 3 COVID+ patients in the department to now having 2 wards full. I've lost count of the number of COVID+ patients I've seen, wearing PPE is now second nature, I've also lost count of patients who have sadly passed away, can someone make this virus go away now please??? :(.

Anyways, 12hrs to go, than having a bottle of wine, may be two :).

Bizzarly I've not come down with this virus, three out of 4 colleagues whom have been working with me during the same time period have now tested positive. So either 2 of us are super good/lucky at PPE, or we are the 10-20% of asymptomatic super spreader!!!

I know we have quite differences of opinions on what makes a fun car but think we both agree that the frontline key workers are doing an amazing job right now - if we ever meet will buy you a beer. The thing is, they were doing an amazing job all along but took a pandemic for the population to recognise it instead of moaning about it. Lets hope once we are through all this countries governments stop running the NHS (and other public services) on a shoestring and gives everyone the reward and recognition they have always deserved.

10 minutes ago, Ekona said:

PPE? What’s PPE? Sounds fancy, like something they should have at our workplace too...

Not sure if serious Dan but PPE is the acronym for Personal Protective Equipment is it not ? I used to wear it all the time when on building sites.

9 hours ago, Ekona said:

PPE? What’s PPE? Sounds fancy, like something they should have at our workplace too...

To be honest outside if ITU the so called 'PPE' is next to useless. I have my own eye protection (cycling glasses), and the surgical mask is OK.  But the plastic half apron is a joke, and gloves are not any replacement for hand washing.

If you do end up with a prisoner with COVID I suspect it'll spread like wild fire just like in hospital regardless of PPE. This virus at times must be airborne not just droplets, we have gone from a few patients infected last week to 20+ now infected, that's despite all staff wearing PPE.

If someone is actively coughing than you are in a proper @*!# storm. The PPE we have really is useless at that point, as some coughing is in effect producing an aerosol of virus every few seconds. The only way to stop the spread is proper filter mask, total body protection (including shoes), negative pressure rooms. All of which we lack, even ITU is now running low - Government advice on 'reusing' long sleeve gowns is an utter joke, viral contamination is more likely to occur when taking the gowns off than when wearing them!!

For contact with confirmed patients reducing your viral load exposure is vital. So if you have 2 people on a 14 day shift, rather than someone doing 7 days on than off, alternate one day each is much better.

In short the best protection is try and make sure no one catches the virus, which is why social distancing/isolation is so important. It's also why once it hit a care/nursing home sadly its game over for half the residents. No amount of non ITU level PPE will protect staff/patients once the virus gets a foot hold :(.

Though new case numbers are steady this virus is going to be causing chaos for a while yet. Out ITU is even now running out of dialysis fluid!! 

We all need to support each other/colleagues through this :).

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ekona said:

We’ve had three confirmed cases at my place, I’ve been in direct contact with two of them and about 2/3 of my wing has/had symptoms. Yay! 

If you are young (under 40) you will most likely be fine, but it's a numbers game once the infection starts. The more people that get it, the higher the chance someone will get seriously ill:(.

Age is a really important risk factor, 70% of our consultant staff (average age 40) who have been in contact with patients has now had it/symptoms, but only 20% of junior doctors have had symptoms (average age under 25).

We are actively keeping older staff away from infected zones, it's a case of risk management for most hospitals now, not infection control!

Good luck in your work setting, but having clear/flexible leadership is vital at this time. We are changing protocol/practices twice a day sometimes in response to new information/clinical situation, and we certainly aren't waiting on any official guidance if we think action needs to be taken.

Look after your staff, your selves and your 'clients' first. Do what you think feels right on the ground, those giving press conferences in government have little idea what's actually needed on the front line, they all still have have half an eye on the next election.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Well I’m bang on 40 so that’s me f*cked :lol: 

Well since its the weekend there isnt much else to do in a situation like this.....

49787899877_7f1e0df83f_c_d.jpg

I wouldn't be doing my job though without pointing out this isn't the offical coping strategy as outlined by the Intensive care society:).

49784353927_5e3043e00c_c_d.jpg

• Haha 1

We had some similar things coming around at work, funny enough one of them was not to feel guilty if you are not keeping in touch with family over digital medium. I think everyone has gone a bit crazy in terms of over contacting people much more than they would normally, the conversation generally tends to centre around death and disease, and people are getting no downtime. Me time is important when you are stuck indoors with other people for extended periods! :lol: