Lockdown detailing

ballistic

Been keeping myself busy by working on the car. Lockdowns costing me an arm and a leg :lol:

Decon with Bilt hamber Korrosol

Clayed with their regular clay bar

DA Polished with DAS Pro and Koch chemie h8.02 and finished with m2.01

Sealed with poorboys EX-P

Plenty of stuff i havnt mentioned, but thats the basics

After Clean

gaV4qNc.jpg

After Paint correction and sealant:

oIDhKAS.jpg

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 2

Also decided to finally get around to doing a wiper delete. 

3w88a5e.jpg

So cleaned/polished and sealed the glass to make sure it doesnt need a wiper

4PYaaNg.jpg

Used some glass polishing pads on the DA

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 1

Nice work mate and nice colour combo. How was the marring with the regular clay? I usually use soft so was slightly concerned. I'll do a chemical decon beforehand.

I've got swirls to get rid of, going to do some test patches and have a combination of pads. Will try Koch Chemie M3.02 so good to see you used something similar. First Jap car, so again, concerned about the soft paint.

Cheers guys!

It wasn't bad at all, but i used Dodo juice Born slippy, not just water as recommended. I knew i would be doing a full detail so i wasn't worried either way, but i needed the heavier clay as it was pretty contaminated. Gun metal grey is forgiving compared to gloss finishes though.

Tip:If u do use the regular clay, have a small pot of hot water and when u cut a piece of the block, put it in the water to warm it up, makes it much easier to shape.

I was pretty happy with these too, previously used Menzerna which was fine. But these were even better imho. The H802 has a great cut, long work time and leaves a surprisingly glossy finish for a compound. The M201 easily removes any hazing and light scratches. 

image.png.7db99cb426161f0416576421826fc750.png

Edit: Oh and i used Lake country yellow heavy cutting with the H8, and the black finishing pad for M2

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 1

You could lose yourself in the bonnet reflections in the second picB)

Must've been great to forget about the world for a moment and see the fruits of your labour.

You'll be popping to the car every now and then tomorrow to run your fingers over that smooth as glass finish on the paint :lol:

Thanks for the tips Ballistic, I'm gonna be a wimp and start with finishing pads and see if I need to work my way up the cut. Worst comes to worst I've got Scholl S20+ and their Honey Spider Pads which I'm assured should do the job. But I've heard all the rave reviews about the Koch compounds.

Too many car related jobs at the moment, I don't know where to start! :unsure:

@alexgv1 No problem, as mentioned you want to employ that method anyway. 

I had lots of things i wanted to do too. Just break it down to one job at a time. eg. when you wash the car next time, try and do the clay. The time after, do the polish. The 3rd time you wash do the sealing. Doing it all in one hit can be a bit daunting. 

Its hard work but so rewarding: A coat of Zymol carbon went on today. 

sqXFsLj.jpg

7iY7f8m.jpg

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 18:15, ballistic said:

@alexgv1 No problem, as mentioned you want to employ that method anyway. 

I had lots of things i wanted to do too. Just break it down to one job at a time. eg. when you wash the car next time, try and do the clay. The time after, do the polish. The 3rd time you wash do the sealing. Doing it all in one hit can be a bit daunting. 

Its hard work but so rewarding: A coat of Zymol carbon went on today. 

sqXFsLj.jpg

7iY7f8m.jpg

Where did you purchase your side skirts from?

Ohhh that finish is perfect 

Had a limited budget so found some deals online:

Dodojuice Microfiber Cloths x 6

Dodojuice drying towel 

Dodojuice applicators 

2 buckets with grit guards

Lambs wool mitts x 2

Autobrite Magifoam

No pressure washer so got a 2ltr pressure sprayer 

Chemical guys Citrus wash

Bilt Hamber auto clay (soft) 

Dodojuice born slippy

Meguires Deep Crystal all 3 steps

Gtechniq C6

Microfiber Glass towels

Simmonz glass cleaner 

Budget hosepipe 

Already had new air fresheners, demon juice fallout remover, a few glass cleaners etc

I skimped on some stuff due to budget constraints. I've never detailed a car before so it's all a learning curve. I've been scouring the forums for everyone's comments on what they use, how they do it etc but it's a lot of info to take in! Hence the meguires 3step for starters!! 

Just need an overcast day now! I'll get some before and afters up. 

Paid for a detail last year which left mine looking decent but no where near your finish. 

20200202_141838.jpg

@Mikey_SLooking good mate :thumbs: 

Simply put into phases

Decontamination:

Thorough rinse

Snow Foam and or traffic film remover, rinse

Fallout remover, rinse

Contact wash:

Wash with your nice new mitts and soap

Sounds like you know what you're doing with the two bucket method from the purchases.

Rinse off and dry with that lovely towel

Tar remover

Clay (go slowly with plenty of clay lube). If you drop it get a new piece. Cut a fresh piece every couple panels. Thin slice that you flattened out into a usable shape. It should go yellow and will prob have spots in it. Work the lower parts of the car last.

Paint correction:

The three stage is nice but takes alot of time, but the results should be pleasing.

Cleaner: The more contamination you remove the better the result, so this is great.

Polish: Take your time here. Work in small sections  (2x2ft) and check your work. The more swirls and defects you can remove the better the end result. 

Wax: Easiest part, just follow instructions for cure times for all these products. 

You can split this over a couple days if you're not driving, weather permitting. So decon and wash one day, next day lightly dust the panel you will work on and start on the paint correction.

Enjoyment:

Stand back hands on hips and enjoy, then go inside and keep looking from the window, then pop out to look at it again. Take pics, bore anyone you can get to listen to you about it. :lol:

Edited by ballistic
Fixed mistake spotted by @ilogikal1 cheer mate
  • Like 1

I would recommend pre-wash and wash stages before decontamination stage. Claying alone can inflict marring, let alone claying on a dirty panel!

Also tar and fallout removers will work more effectively on cleaner panels as these are designed for deeper cleaning.

Don’t expect miracles from Magifoam though, it’s not great and you really need a pressure washer to get the best out of pre-washes - especially with Magifoam to be honest.

Cheers for the tips, greatly appreciated! 

Yeah due to no pressure washer I didn't want to spend a lot on a pre wash until I could pick one up. The Magifoam was only a fiver and I only bought 500ml so no great loss there. 

@ilogikal1 Youre right about the claying i moved it to after wash, my mistake.

However,  fallout etc is a before contact wash after snow foam/TFR for me. The idea being to remove as much as possible before making contact with the car. Does depend on how dirty the car is though. 

Looking forward to the results 

Edited by ballistic