Question for Rabbitstew

ATTAK Z

14 hours ago, napp said:

get the lurcher out of retirement time I think ?

how does hunting count ? does it come under going for food :shrug:

Wife's got a chihuahua, but its probably half the size of a rabbit so not sure how useful it would be. :lol:     I guess if you are wandering about a field with a shotgun your probably keeping your social distancing. On the other hand, I guess people would tend to also stay well away from you if they saw you with a gun!

14 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

Do you guys like pigeon pie ... I can supply the pigeons if you want ?

Pigeon is lovely, seem to be loads about this year. I used to cook them rare and they would taste just like steak!

On 05/04/2020 at 14:22, rabbitstew said:

I did say to the wife if it comes to it I will have to start going rabbiting again! lol

Told my wife I am planning on getting another air rifle. My work premises are in the countryside and get plenty of rabbits, pigeon and squirrels.

We fed squirrel to our Scouts a couple of years back - around 50% were horrified but the other 50% loved it. We did get a few complaints from parents when their kids got home and the parents were discovering rabbits feet and squirrel tails in their bags and one in a sleeping bag.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, napp said:

told pigeon  tastes just like chicken :gathering:

Narr, Pigeon tastes like steak, Rabbit tastes just like chicken. You can use any normal chicken or beef recipe but just use rabbit instead of chicken and pigeon instead of beef. Pigeons are easier to prepare than rabbits, you just cut the breasts of them and that it. Rabbits are a bit more "messy" and a bit more involved in preparing which may put a lot of people off. 

16 hours ago, Ponsonby said:

Told my wife I am planning on getting another air rifle. My work premises are in the countryside and get plenty of rabbits, pigeon and squirrels.

We fed squirrel to our Scouts a couple of years back - around 50% were horrified but the other 50% loved it. We did get a few complaints from parents when their kids got home and the parents were discovering rabbits feet and squirrel tails in their bags and one in a sleeping bag.

Air rifle is perfect, that is what I use mainly. Air Arms s410 in .22 and a Theoben Rapid in .20. I do have a silenced pump action .410 shotgun which is handy but Air rifle is a cleaner kill and quieter. Your work premises sound perfect! Just get a nice big freezer!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of getting a non FAC .22 myself. Only ever had a break barrel due to not having any cash. Now I have cash but the eternal problem of no where to shoot. There is a plinking place not far but shut for the duration. Either the S410 or Theoben would be good. Would really like a farm with a rat problem to sort, but same old. No farmer wants a stranger on his property so not much point knocking on farm doors.

On 17/04/2020 at 15:19, EcoFriendlyAL said:

Thinking of getting a non FAC .22 myself. Only ever had a break barrel due to not having any cash. Now I have cash but the eternal problem of no where to shoot. There is a plinking place not far but shut for the duration. Either the S410 or Theoben would be good. Would really like a farm with a rat problem to sort, but same old. No farmer wants a stranger on his property so not much point knocking on farm doors.

Getting permission to shoot on land is a nightmare, very hard. I was fortunate that my old house had a garden which was about 150foot long, and was perfect for back yard plinking. Id setup beer cans at random distances and practise on them. My Aunt has a small holding and endless amounts of rabbits so I used to shoot there. I remember eating Rabbit sandwiches every day for weeks when I first went ther. :lol:  Air rifle`s have become really popular this last 5 years or so and theres loads of shooting grounds now - but like you say, not open atm, but ideal for the future. Id definitely recommend the s410, very nice gun, easy to service yourself, pcp it has no recoil & you can hit pellet on pellet at 45 metres no problem at all. Buy 2nd hand and it will hold its value. The newer s510 is also nice as well as any of the Weihrauch range, but then you start getting into a lot more money & not really getting any benefit over an s410. Compared to a break barrel you will be amazed. 200 odd shots out of 1 charge. The Theoben Rapid gets like 450 shots or something stupid.

That sound ideal. I have a shared communal garden so not ideal esp with nosey neigbours sticking their beaks in. I've put a deposit down in a 410F witha Hawke AirMax 3-12x50 and 2 x magazines. Has only the standard barrel end thingy (is it even a silencer?) so will be getting a Wheirauch or the Air Arms Q-tec in a .22.  Of course shop is closed for a good few weeks. Will pick it up once Uncle Boris says its OK to do so. There are a few places I can plink and you never know who you get chatting to when you go to these places so maybe get some game shooting at some point.

1226693_-_photo_2_1579017754_img.jpg

1226693_-_photo_1_1579017753_img.jpg