Ballistic APS Twin Turbo 350Z

ballistic

So i thought it was long overdue. 

I bought my Import 05 Gunmetal Z with Alezan leathers in 2010.

First thing was the N1 Nismo kit all round (after the APS Twin Turbo kit of course)

And shortly after Volk Racing CE28's 19". 9.5 Front 10.5 Rear +22 offset

oPIVR7C.jpg

Under the bonnet is an APS Twin Turbo kit, including true dual exhaust (3") and downpipes (4" into 3.5")

hG77x3Z.jpg

FeD5XOo.jpg

IefWQAL.jpg

o1SQdvC.jpg

Uq9ZOQY.jpg

fU12nLO.jpg

Obligatory dyno @ .4bar:WC36K6B.png

Its a serious bit of kit, especially back then:

vcByaz1.jpg

Still running strong after all these years

Im also running the uprated higher capacity APS sump.

Its been regularly serviced and looked after by myself, or a good local garage when needed. 

Edited by ballistic
Added more pics
  • Like 5

Detailed the car a couple weeks back. (lockdown!)

Used a DAS Pro DA and some Koch chemie H8 02 cutting compound and M3 02 finishing to fully correct the paint. This was after a full decontamination using Bilt Hamber Korrosol and their regular clay, with Dodo juice born slippy clay lube. Sealed with poorboys EX-P.

(Im into my detailing).

Before:

gaV4qNc.jpg

After correction:

vYrJKJB.jpg

After sealent:

oIDhKAS.jpg

Took the better part of a few days. Including Cleaning and conditioning seats and interior. Treating all seals and plastics.

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Refurbed my alloys a few months back after 10 years + of use

Before

EkssaTy.jpg

After:

kpvpueG.jpg

Other than the curbing they had faded (UV damage i guess) and just looked old in general. Look brand new now, pretty happy with the job done by Creative wheels in South Woodford

Edited by ballistic

Recently gave it a full service. (Jan 2020)

Replaced belts and tensioner pulleys

New oil and filter

Brake fluid

Diff Oil (redline)

Gearbox oil (redline)

Jan 2020:

New Pads (Ferodo DS2500 iirc, had them laying around for ages)

New Brembo discs all round (Euro car parts discounted, £300 all round!)

Had an idling problem where it would stall on warm startup unless throttle was blipped a few times. Fixed by removing and cleaning intake, MAF and throttle body

Recently fixed electric seat buttons that didnt work, replaced both passenger and driver (thanks Alex)

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 1

Very much overdue, however better late than never. What a sleeper!! these are my favourite RAYS wheels, had the replica Kei Racing wheels in the days and loved them fitted to my Almera GTi. Set up looks great, what suspension are you using? any engine bay pictures....

WV2 looks glossy as hell!!

@davey_83Yea the wheels still look current after all this time, haven't dated at all. Plus they are super light despite the size. Suspension is stock AFAIK, however i think something was done before i got it as it seems lower than standard.

I have got some engine bay pics as it happens. Did a thorough clean and dress the other day

v3BoQJb.jpg

Turbo install isnt super obvious (apart from the recirc valve). Nothing major going on in there dress wise, but im hoping to change that a little. Open to ideas..

Edited by ballistic
Typos galore
  • Like 1

Thanks guys :thumbs:

@davey_83 Im tempted to remove it and give it a polish. Kinda want to do some engine bay dress stuff. some colour coding/theme. Not sure what colour. 

Im going for a bit more aggression on the Zed, continuing with the black/gun metal theme:

Before:

X3lCSfR.jpg

After:

V2harGr.jpg

Medium tints on rear window and quarters, rear lights and turn signals. Then it was time to fit the gloss black badges to compliment the look. The badges came of easy enough with some heat and a fishing wire, the remaining glue was harder work.

Im really loving it how it came out

Tints were done by Xclusive Tints in Forest Gate, very happy with the service. Badges are from Asad here on the forum.

TVhj0cg.jpg

Im thinking bumper tuck next

Edited by ballistic

A lot of jobs ticked off the list, see you making the most of the lockdown! Very very nice clean example. Haha engine bay is one of those things, once you start its hard not to fully commit! Its either stock looking or you go full send!

Edited by Lewis Schwier

@Lewis schwier Thanks mate, appreciate it :)

@Ian YES! they were your wheels! lmao. Still going strong mate, looking great after the refurb. Hope your keeping well :D 
Oh and no you cant :lol:

riO22eH.jpg

What could it be??? :shrug:

Edited by ballistic

My headlights are in bad shape. Oxidization and UV damage, plus you know, they're pre facelift :dry:

qfDkJLl.jpg

So, replaced them with the Depo black internal headlights! (from George at Tarmac), thats what was in the box above :D. They are projector (instead of reflector), so an upgrade in function as well as form. Upgraded all bulbs; D2S OSRAM Cool Blue Boost Xenarc main/high-beam , Twenty20 3156 LED indicator and LED side light. All courtesy of Autobulbsdirect, thanks to Pete there, was a big help.

Had to fit some 6ohm 50w in line resistors on the indicator bulbs (Green live Black ground) to stop the rapid blinking you get from LEDs low power requirement. 

s86LkaY.jpg

While i had the bumper off for the headlights i decided to paint the center of the N1 black, to continue the theme. I used Plastidip, so that its reversible incase i dont like it. TBH i dont think this bumpers got much life left in it, cracking everywhere and damage from others who have knocked it. May have to be replaced soon..... Amuse style from Taras anyone??

1HR2a5A.jpg

Happy with the result all round :D

Oh and while i was at it i upgraded the rear number plate bulbs to more modern looking LED ones, to complete the look at the rear, also from Tarmac.

Old:

mBNBqhV.jpg

New:

xgo6bbj.jpg

Also upgraded interior bulbs to LED, festoon dome and 501 wedge for boot.

1sADBA3.jpg

a1uPN8z.jpg

Brighter and a nice clean crisp white light all round

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Lewis Schwier said:

How are you getting on with the Depo's? I have heard mixed reviews, mistake me if I'm wrong but can see condensation build up in the photos?

Ive heard some talk about condensation too. The pic was taken right after i fitted them and washed the car, and yes there was condensation. However since then there hasn't been any. Even today where i had the wheels off cleaning the arches with a jet wash (which is right behind the headlight and has loads of gaps), they are clear. So it may have been something to do with them coming out of storage and being fitted. But i will be keeping an eye on them. 

The thing is they are not 100% enclosed, theres a little breather hole with a u shaped pipe and filter. Im not sure if thats on the OEM ones. Will keep thread updated on it.

@nissanman312 Cheers mate :thumbs:

Edited by ballistic

1 hour ago, ballistic said:

Ive heard some talk about condensation too. The pic was taken right after i fitted them and washed the car, and yes there was condensation. However since then there hasn't been any. Even today where i had the wheels off cleaning the arches with a jet wash (which is right behind the headlight and has loads of gaps), they are clear. So it may have been something to do with them coming out of storage and being fitted. But i will be keeping an eye on them. 

The thing is they are not 100% enclosed, theres a little breather hole with a u shaped pipe and filter. Im not sure if thats on the OEM ones. Will keep thread updated on it.

@nissanman312 Cheers mate :thumbs:

Oh okay that’s interesting, appreciate the reply, yea that would be good to be kept updated :)

@da.murfI will see what i can do mate :)

So after having my wheels refurbished i wanted to protect them well, enter:

V1Q0zSH.jpg

Ceramic coating that offers up to 1-2 years protection. 

Before i applied it i gave the wheels a very thorough clean:

ynFZdKk.jpg

They weren't particularly contaminated but still needed to be as clean as possible for best durability of the coating 

q1CuaZ4.jpg

Then i gave them a good polish as i was locking in the finish, used koche chemie m3.01 and a foam hand polishing pad

CCqzOJC.jpg

After applying the C5 they were left to cure:

KnamyHc.jpg

Then the next day refitted and treated to a new pair of lug nuts, in neo chrome

Rbp7FLt.jpg

Q8Ar9Ch.jpg

iZu01xZ.jpg

It took a couple days to remove, full prep, apply and let cure. Plus i gave the arches a thorough clean and dress :yuck:, nasty down there. 

Very happy with how it turned out, polishing the wheels really added a lot of gloss and took away the flatness/dullness they had after the powder coating. and the C5 may also have added gloss alonside the protection. Loving the new lug nuts too, replaced the faded Rays ones.

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 3

I always make sure I have a supply of Gtechniq C4/C1/C5.

Never been brave enough to do the whole car but do the wheels yearly along with plastic trims and headlights.

Your rims are so glossy I thought for a moment they had diamond cut faces!B)

• ballistic changed the title to Ballistic APS Twin Turbo 350Z