Powdercoating/chroming warning!

Digsy

Anyone wanting to powdercoat should read this thread first...

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353258

I'm not suggesting that all powdercoated wheels will crack but you should be aware that there may be a risk which compromises your safety.

(Apologies to Tim that I've nicked this elsewhere but trust you agree that a potential safety issue should be be shared. ;) )

I'm not suggesting that all powdercoated wheels will crack but you should be aware that there may be a risk which compromises your safety.

(Apologies to Tim that I've nicked this elsewhere but trust you agree that a potential safety issue should be be shared. ;) )

Its ok mate! Ill just nick a post of yours when you finally post somthing worth nicking! hahaha.....;)

Its ok mate! Ill just nick a post of yours when you finally post somthing worth nicking! hahaha.....;)

:bleh:

• 5 weeks later...

Just to follow this up I spotted the following thread...

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359904

Seems that there have been some accidents where GT4 alloys which have been chromed have also failed. Now thankfully we don't have the same thing for chrome as our Yankee buddys but I am beginning to wonder about the quality of the GT4 rims.

If you have GT4s (and they seem to be coming with the new "special edition" 08 cars) I would steer clear of anything which involves a high heat process such as powdercoating and chroming.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I just thought I'd add to this :)

Powder coating is fine in and of itself. It's the heat involved. Some places use high levels of heat, and heating an alloy ages it. Generally it makes them stiffer and less flexible. This is bad for wheels as if they cant flex a little under load the will crack at the hardest points, usually where the spokes join to the outer rim.

Another example is filing cabinets believe it or not. They get away with a thinner steel by heating and powder coating it, to make it stiff enough and strong enough for purpose, making them nice and cheap ;)

Ultimately a lightweight wheel has heat treating in the manufacturing process, and comes out of the factory light and stiff. If you them significantly heat them again for powder coating you effect the previous process, and then you see these wheel failures.

We tend to suggest getting wheels painted is the way forwards, as this heating is not required.

Interestingly for these reasons on racing / track / drift cars when they get their new forged wheels it says in the manual from the manufacturer they need to be replaced every 2 years, they're a service item, which is why so many are sold from Japan, they are used for this period then replaced. They are then bought by people here, and a significant number of them have cracks that need welding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know of any places around London (North London preferably, so Herts etc) that do a good job at powder coating? If not, wet painting? I've got stock Rays.

And this wheel cracking issue, I'm assuming if they're coated at the right temperature then it shouldn't be a problem?

Just had my rotas done st wheelrefurbishing.co.uk as posed above . Based in herts and seem to know their stuff ,if you go for some of the more exotic finishes they spray them like my black chrome or the brighter silver finishes so that will be ok for sure.

Ah gotcha, nice one. I'd be going for matte black with a red lip. How long did it take them?