What's In Your Sump?

davey_83

Following on from a discussion on my build thread, as most of us now have more free time I wanted to collate our experiences and preference towards oil and why. We all have our engine oil changed every 12 months or sooner, so there should be plenty of info/subjective data among us.

465990547_IMG_20200331_115023522_HDR2.jpg.febb3820685d50baa94c60c874e911a4.jpg

- Generally the type of use your car gets, ie daily, weekend toy, show car, fast road, track or drift *combination.

- What oil & filter do you use and why?

- What oil did you use previously and if different, reason for the change?

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Can't say I am in love with any brand, I just pick a middle of the budget scale oil for road use on all my cars. Millers usually ends up being a good option from a price perspective as a nice middle of the price range option.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Umster said:

I can't wait to see if someone has used Royal Purple! Assume most stick to Nissan OEM as part of the standard service schedule. 

That's what we're here to find out, the kit or at least the picture shows that of 5w30 C4 designed for diesel engines and not a petrol.....

https://h-dev.co.uk/product/nissan-350z-p1-service-pack/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Nissan-Litres-Diesel-Engines/dp/B00BSBHTFO

41 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

That's what we're here to find out, the kit or at least the picture shows that of 5w30 C4 designed for diesel engines and not a petrol.....

https://h-dev.co.uk/product/nissan-350z-p1-service-pack/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Nissan-Litres-Diesel-Engines/dp/B00BSBHTFO

I believe C3 standard is aimed at Diesels to protect DPFs but also direct injection petrols from injector contamination.

I have a BMW 325i with N53B30 direct injection engine, BMW spec is 'LL-04' standard which basically means ACEA C3 - Low SAPS spec.

Bought the BM in Jan 2019 and didn't notice until I did a oil and filter change after 9k miles that the garage's mechanic has written in tip-ex '5w40' on the oil cap. Over those first 5-6 months it used maybe 0.25-0.5L oil.

Changed oil to Opie recommended 5w30 C3 Fuchs last summer, and has consumed maybe a litre of oil every 2000 miles!!! Fuel economy is no better either. (solid 30.0 MPG)

Sooo.... was thinking of getting 0w40 Mobil 1 ESP X3. 0w for the cold start performance (40°c viscosity rating - lots of 15 min work commutes through town) and 40 weight to keep the damn oil from burning! This looks to be the only 0W40 C3 spec oil on sale in the UK.

I also have the classic N53 engine cold start misfire... which I wonder is due to oil consumption! (fouling plugs and injectors)

Edited by msitpro
  • Like 1

Fuchs titan pro race S for me used over last few years

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68896-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-5w-30-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

now i don't proclaim to be an oil expert by any means but this has never let me down, and i can give the car some abuse although admittedly i don't do many miles each year but what i do is usually at 7k revs. had to possibly top up Less than 500ml over 6000 miles (obviously each engine could be different) Having an oil cooler installed helps as i have cooked the brake and clutch fluid several times but this stuff has not let me down yet engine oil wise and always looks so clean when i renew compared to every other car and oil i have used in the past. 

• Like 1

RE the Z...

64600 miles. just done third oil change in my ownership since May 2018 @ 53000.

First change @ 53000 miles / June 2018 - Motul Eco-nergy 8100 5w30 - HKS oil filter - tbh didn't monitor oil consumption - wasn't really aware it was such an issue, especially on a 53000 mile engine... upon second change there certainly wasn't a full sump - oops.

Second change @ 59000 miles / Dec 2018 - Fuchs Titan XTR 5w30 - HKS oil filter - considerable consumption - maybe 0.5L every 1500 miles. Topping up with Petronas Syntium 5w30 C3.

Third change @ 64000 miles / Feb 2020 - Motul Eco-nergy 8100 5w30 - Nissan oil filter - 19 row Mocal oil cooler - AAM oil pan spacer - sitting at half dipstick today. Noticed around 10-15 psi pressure increase switching to Nissan OEM filter across the rev range.

Edited by msitpro
  • Like 1