Hello all and problems

Hey everyone, I got my 04 Z about half a year ago and have been slowly doing some fixing and what not in my spare time. So far I've replaced the cats since the old ones were dead and severely corroded and the y pipe as it appeared to suffer some damage from a bump (not me I think!). I have also replaced both belts for the auxiliary systems as the old ones were ruined too. I have quite a bit left to do including suspension arm replacement, tie rod ends, drop links (doing the lot as they're corroded) and also doing the rest of the exhaust system. 

So as far as my problems go, I have a bad rattle while driving on uneven roads and bumps which I'm fairly certain are the suspension arm bushings, but as said earlier will be doing the lot under there. I noticed a bad smell of petrol in the car sometimes and the other day noticed a small amount under the car just in front of the rear passenger wheel. I inspected the fuel pump/level systems and think an O ring went on the passenger side one, will be replacing that. But I'm now a bit stuck with another issue... Random judder from the steering wheel and it's happened three times driving today (giving it some exercise as it's sat a lot currently). It was at low speeds (10mph) on a roundabout and also when stationary it did it twice. I cannot get it to do it on demand, it's really random. Would any of you guys here have some idea what it could be? I will inspect all the lines and stuff in the morning, but was checking oil the other day and it seemed fine back then. Haven't noticed any other leaks from the front, had it up on my lift too and it was dry (other than the fuel from the bad O ring...). 

Sorry for the long post, any help is very welcome and appreciated :)

5 minutes ago, pmacleod said:

I have a bad rattle while driving on uneven roads and bumps which I'm fairly certain are the suspension arm bushings

That'll be the compression rod ball joint ... only fixable by fitting a new arm I'm afraid ... £250.00 each

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

Petrol tank o rings are in stock and good to go same/next day.

Regarding your judder from the steering, first thing to do is make sure that your PAS fluid is at the maximum.

I had a look this morning and it's past the hot max line... Will remove a bunch of fluid back down to the correct fill level. Any idea if having it too full could cause an issue like mine? I already have an O ring on order but thank you for the offer :)

3 hours ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Hi Adrian,

I have already got some from you guys and the tie rod ends :) But thanks for the link regardless, I heard the Moog ones are decent. 

IMG20200330131654.jpg

Slightly above the max mark should not cause an issue.

Perhaps your pas pump or steering rack is on its way out.

Both in stock at the minute.

You say that you have replaced both belts, is the pas pump belt tight enough?

Have you recently broken into the pas hydraulic system?

If so, you may just have an air lock.

51 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Slightly above the max mark should not cause an issue.

Perhaps your pas pump or steering rack is on its way out.

Both in stock at the minute.

You say that you have replaced both belts, is the pas pump belt tight enough?

Have you recently broken into the pas hydraulic system?

If so, you may just have an air lock.

Well I will try see what I can do before replacing the pump and rack, but when it comes to it I will be in touch ;)

I retightened the belt after it ran in a bit, I'm no expert on the matter though, it's not squealing or anything at least. It did for a bit on cold starts but tightening fixed the issue. I wouldn't say it's overtight either, it has a bit of play. I will maybe tighten it slightly and see what happens.

Haven't been into the PAS system at all yet. My plan is to flush the system as it looks to have never been done in recent years. Maybe the fluid has gone really bad and gungy causing issues.

5 minutes ago, pmacleod said:

Hi Adrian,

I have already got some from you guys and the tie rod ends :) But thanks for the link regardless, I heard the Moog ones are decent. 

Hi Paul,

Yes, they're good quality parts, thanks for your order. 

As Alex suggested above, worth trying bleeding the power steering system at minimum, but you can also do a full flush. Very easy to do, lots of videos on YouTube. 

Small update if anyone was curious, the source of the leak wasn't the o ring after all but there was a small crack on the plastic of the fuel fill sensor housing (not sure if that's what it's called). So I've put a big of glue on it for the meantime just to keep it from leaking anything short term... Will replace later on for sure though. Has me wondering how the crack got in there in the first place. 

Waiting for some power steering fluid to arrive so I can do the system flush now. In the meantime gonna be putting on the new exhaust parts :)

Got the mid pipe off after finishing work and noticed there wasn't a gasket on the connection to the back box. Is this normal? Or has a previous owner forgot one?

Okay mine was quite badly corroded and blowing hence why I was replacing it, but I saw no evidence of any ring on my one and it seems to be OEM. The back box appears in better condition compared to the mid pipe so likely the previous owner had replaced it and kept the old mid pipe, and forgot the ring...

8 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

When fitted the ring looks like it is part of the exhaust and be easily missed by the uninformed.

However the ring can be swopped for a standard gasket.

I think I see what you mean, but it didn't seem to be holding the exhaust gases to well! 

IMG20200403171825.jpg