What battery charger?

StormtrooperZ

Evening all...so, I went to start my 370z yesterday after a week of not using/starting it, and it didn't start.

I called the RAC out this morning to test the battery and the bloke said the battery was fine, but recommended that I should keep it topped up with an automatic charger. I think the short trips I do to work and back aren't really long enough to keep the battery charged fully etc.

So, I've been looking to get something online. But there are so many options! Will a £20 12v 6amp auto charger suffice? Or do I go for a cteck mxs 5.0 at £80? Why the big difference in prices?

What have you guys got? What comes recommended? All advice welcome. Cheers.

I paid around £50 for a CTEK MXS 5.0 just before Christmas but I can't find one for that price now. Great piece of equipment though.

ETA

It's what all the professionals use

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Thanks 1

CTEK were about £65 on Amazon when I looked so I got a Noco Genius 5 for the same price just to be different. I'd consider the 10A one instead of 5A though as this can still take up to 12 hours for a full charge. That's unless you plan on leaving it plugged in.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been using Oxford Oximisers on my cars/bikes for almost 29years. They’re generally advertised for motorbikes, but are for any 12V battery. Currently using 3 600 models which I’ve had over 10 years and a more recent 900 model which I’ve been using about 3 years. Worth a look as they’re considerably cheaper than ctek.

Have all the usual features such as trickle charge, and charge/discharge feature to maintain battery 

Edited by Davectr
  • Thanks 1

I've been using my AA intelligent charger for over 5 years as we have 2 other cars that get used infrequently as well as my daily Zed.

It's slow but steady :lol:

As I have a garage it makes no difference as I just fit and forget til the next day.

£27 now. Was cheaper way back but still cheap enough to be a no brainer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B00DW6RHN2

Literally only changed the battery on our 2011 Kia 2 weeks ago. 

9 years out of it isn't bad going.

I'm sure topping the battery every couple months helped it's longevity.

Zed's had its Bosch S4 battery 8 years now and still going strong.

Our Mini's battery is 9 years old and still going too.

Edited by HEADPHONES
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update. I've ordered the mxs 10a from eBay with next day delivery. Amazon can't deliver till 26th April! Wow.

My zeds battery is the original one, so 7yrs old now. I was ready to pay the RAC man to replace it, but he said it was still holding up. Hopefully, keep it going for a bit longer now with the charger.

Cheers all! :)

Edited by StormtrooperZ

24 minutes ago, StormtrooperZ said:

Update. I've ordered the mxs 10a from eBay with next day delivery. Amazon can't deliver till 26th April! Wow.

Amazon are quoting long delivery times but they actually deliver much sooner than they state. Has to do with priority on vulnerable customers and non urgent items. 

• Thanks 1

I have optimate 4 which is advertised and sold for bikes but is a 12v trickle/smart charger that I've used to bring car batteries back to life after a couple years non use.

I also use a couple of the Aldi battery chargers that are sold to use for both bike and car. they been keeping an car aldi car battery charged for over a year that's used less than monthly and also motorbike gel batteries that gets similar use.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

I paid around £50 for a CTEK MXS 5.0 just before Christmas but I can't find one for that price now. Great piece of equipment though.

ETA

It's what all the professionals use

I also have a CTEK 5.0 and it does a great job - OP I went to look at a car for Mr Attak Z a while back and was wandering around the showroom full of Ferraris etc. all of them had a CTEK hooked up :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

I've been using my AA intelligent charger for over 5 years as we have 2 other cars that get used infrequently as well as my daily Zed.

It's slow but steady :lol:

As I have a garage it makes no difference as I just fit and forget til the next day.

£27 now. Was cheaper way back but still cheap enough to be a no brainer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B00DW6RHN2

Literally only changed the battery on our 2011 Kia 2 weeks ago. 

9 years out of it isn't bad going.

I'm sure topping the battery every couple months helped it's longevity.

Zed's had its Bosch S4 battery 8 years now and still going strong.

Our Mini's battery is 9 years old and still going too.

I've used the same one as you for a few years now. :thumbs:

I put it back on the 370 yesterday now I know that it won't be used again for ages. :( I had it on it all the time over the colder winter period and it does keep the battery fit and well. 

• Thanks 1

Ive got a few trickle chargers in the garage, just cheap ones from Amazon but they do the trick but Ive fitted isloator switches on all my vehicles now, less hassle, just make sure the battery is fully charged and you can just switch off and on as you please if your not using it every day