Who's still working

andybp

10 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

Glad I got that cleared up, really pleased myself. ;) 

Here's a better explanation of usage from Wiki:

Beginners often confuse "I" and "me" because they mean the same thing, but even native speakers can struggle when there is more than one subject or object. Study the errors below so you can avoid making similar mistakes in your writing. 

Jack and me got home late.

In this sentence, there are two subjects "Jack and me," but me is the objective case. As it's a subject, the correct pronoun is "I." A good way to check is to remove the other people at the beginning of the sentence and re-read the sentence to see if it sounds right ("Me got home late" does not!). Most people can find the right word by ear this way. 

The puppy licked my sister and I.

Here "I" is used as a direct object-the person receiving the licks but "me" is the right word to use as a direct object. Again, try removing all other people after the verb except "I" and re-read the sentence to see if it sounds right (again, "The puppy licked I" does not sound right). 

The snobby girl thinks she's above my family and I, but she's not.

This is another example of how multiple objects adds confusion. Here "I" is incorrectly used as the object of the preposition "above," but it should be "me." 

It wasn't me.

This one trips up a lot of people as it can't be checked by ear, like the examples above. Though this is a common colloquial phrase, it is not grammatically correct. In this sentence, "was" is a form of the verb to be that sets up a predicate nominative, so the writer should use "I," which is in the nominative case. 

Suzy and me are best friends.

This is another example of an error because of a plural subject. "I" should be used because it's the correct choice when it comes to subjects. It can also be helpful to consider the position of the word in the sentence. "I" is used before the verb, while "me" is almost always used after the verb (the exception being the predicate nominative).

• Like 1

6 kids are now without a mum, and all because they were simply doing their job of looking after people. One of our ITU nurses is now ventilated on ITU frown.gif.

Beyond the figures this is the true cost of this pandemic, can you imagine the fear/anxiety of our nursing staff today!!!

Once this is all over the idiot politicians and so called health 'experts' advising the government have alot to answer for. Even now our trust is refusing to give nursing staff full selved gowns because NHS England says it's not needed........All to save 50p per gown, and also to make the politicians look like they have delivered on PPE.

Am off to work in a hour, and half considering going by theaters and just grabbing a whole load of long sleeve gowns for our nurses........But as the captain of the Theodore Roosevelt has found out, as ever the importance of image to politicians/those in power is far higher than the actual health of people on front line frown.gif.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really don’t know what to say to your post @gangzoom.  But as the parent, brother and uncle to four nurses, I’m scared for them.

When we get through this, there needs to be a fundamental rethink to how we treat, pay and arm our NHS to cope with, rare events like this and, day to day normal running.

Thoughts as always to you, your fellow workers and their families.

On 03/04/2020 at 23:02, ATTAK Z said:

Sorry no - "me is/am/are having" is not good grammar

You’ve rather missed the point I was making about the scope for a degree of flexibility between perfect grammar and context in modern language.  If I chose to be the self-appointed punctuation liaison officer, you also omitted the full stop after ‘grammar’ and, preferably, the comma after ‘Sorry’. ;)  

Edited by sipar69

8 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

@sipar69

BTW, I wasn't self appointed ! ... and you're probably correct but who cares ?

HAND

Yeah, I was actually just thinking with people losing lives and incomes left right and centre, a “me” here or and “I” there, a missing comma etc. doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things does it?  I hope you, your family and everyone on the forum are doing ok in these in crazy times we live in now. Peace! :)  

Edited by sipar69

19 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Once this is all over the idiot politicians and so called health 'experts' advising the government have alot to answer for. Even now our trust is refusing to give nursing staff full selved gowns because NHS England says it's not needed........All to save 50p per gown, and also to make the politicians look like they have delivered on PPE.

Well said.

Amazing how at the beginning the experts said a flimsy surgical mask is useless for the general public as they are leak around the face and offer no protection.

"Full gown and N95 masks MUST be worn before coming within 2m of Covid-19 patients"

Then March 16 when more PPE was needed more than ever they released new guidelines saying when working within 2m all you need is an apron, gloves and a flimsy surgical mask.

The same one that weeks ago was deemed so useless it wouldn't even protect the general public going for a shop down at Tescos:rant:

I'd like to see these experts leading by example and spending just one day working on these wards with these levels of PPE.

They're telling us that in these times we don't need to change the surgical mask for every patient on a Carona ward, but maybe one per session.

It was only a few months ago we were being reminded to change surgical masks at least every 25 minutes due to them becoming ineffective when saturated with moisture!

We received a lovely reassuring update on the 3rd April.

This is my favourite bit at the end

2020-04-05_02-00-13

"There is good stocks of FFP3 masks in the UK"

Yes......coz they're locked away and not allowing staff to use them:surrender: