Who's still working

andybp

Ok, once again, geez yer plan?  What do you want to happen, what is it that will make it better for you?  Is there bitterness towards how you’ve been treated any differently to anyone else?  

Oh and, am I missing something glaring?

3 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Ok, once again, geez yer plan?  What do you want to happen, what is it that will make it better for you?  Is there bitterness towards how you’ve been treated any differently to anyone else?  

Oh and, am I missing something glaring?

I thought what I said was a reasonable point? Lots of people are getting screwed but some are insulated for no good reason. 

I'll be fine through this BTW. The daft thing is Ill probably profit but I know lots of people who will be finished

Well, lots of people are victims of something that is unprecedented, that’s for sure, screwed? How so?  There are always going to be some that are insulated, that’s not the problem is it though?  The problem is the situation we’re in with regards the threat to our WHOLE society.  

Those that are amongst those that are getting ‘screwed’ have always been screwed, I include the whole of the NHS, the whole of those who are economically stagnant.  There are those that prefer to take a dividend and a low wage to avoid paying taxes, who are now getting ‘screwed’, but that’s not the point.

The point is, anyone, economically insulated or not, WILL be screwed, if we don’t stop this virulent virus with the means that those in charge give us as a starting point.  To punish, those that, AT THE MOMENT are economically insulated to salve a feeling of injustice, pales into something so insignificant, the Hubble telescope couldn’t see it.

I gave a homeless person outside Glasgow Central Station £20 that’s been in my wallet because I’ve been using contactless or card payment for a month or so now, because that poor bastart has been inconvenienced by mostly everyone who is economically ‘insulated’, since time in memorial.  I still don’t wish the economically ‘insulated’ less of a chance than he’s got.  Seems that you might want the economically ‘insulated’ more in tune with his chances?

We’re awe in this the ‘gither, hope you and your family come through without too much detriment.

26 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Well, lots of people are victims of something that is unprecedented, that’s for sure, screwed? How so?  There are always going to be some that are insulated, that’s not the problem is it though?  The problem is the situation we’re in with regards the threat to our WHOLE society.  

Those that are amongst those that are getting ‘screwed’ have always been screwed, I include the whole of the NHS, the whole of those who are economically stagnant.  There are those that prefer to take a dividend and a low wage to avoid paying taxes, who are now getting ‘screwed’, but that’s not the point.

The point is, anyone, economically insulated or not, WILL be screwed, if we don’t stop this virulent virus with the means that those in charge give us as a starting point.  To punish, those that, AT THE MOMENT are economically insulated to salve a feeling of injustice, pales into something so insignificant, the Hubble telescope couldn’t see it.

I gave a homeless person outside Glasgow Central Station £20 that’s been in my wallet because I’ve been using contactless or card payment for a month or so now, because that poor bastart has been inconvenienced by mostly everyone who is economically ‘insulated’, since time in memorial.  I still don’t wish the economically ‘insulated’ less of a chance than he’s got.  Seems that you might want the economically ‘insulated’ more in tune with his chances?

We’re awe in this the ‘gither, hope you and your family come through without too much detriment.

Cheers fella. And yours.

I can't see how Gordon Brown, Ken Bruce and Gary Lineker are not even taking a 1percent cut to throw back into the pot.  

I'll pm you my circumstances if you want coz you think Im bitter but I think my arguments stand without that being aired here

Edited by Kieran O'Quick

Oh I’m with you on the hypocrisy front, the premier league clubs fiasco for instance is galling to the point of being disgusting.  I would love to see players being furloughed and getting the government maximum monthly payment, which is probably more than most of the ground staff get anyway (or will get under furlough rules), utterly disgraceful.

No need to PM me, there are a lot of people being treated unfairly or are caught in circumstances that don’t fall within the criteria set out.  I have a certain amount of empathy towards what those in power are trying to do, it can’t be easy, what I don’t empathise with is the wasted time that they’ve used to gamble with peoples lives for the sake of fiscal security for the ‘haves’ and scant account taken for the ‘have nots’.  

The ‘have nots’ are a vast proportion of our society, the best outcome of this tragedy will be a bottom up, rethink about how we are governed and how our wealth is distributed.  That’s my wish anyway.

I can see your point now, but to begin with it was a bit cryptic (to me at least), but again, if we’re to get the likes of those you mention, to share the burden, a complete rethink of this countries wealth distribution needs a rethink :thumbs: 

6 hours ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

Vat and Council tax yes, but the charade of Government paying and deducting in one go is hardly comparable to taxing a person's actual earnings?

Always seemed like a paper exercise to me. 

Your “facts” are way off mate. Public sector employees, many of whom are working harder than ever in this crisis, pay exactly the same taxes and at the same rates as private sector sector employees.  Also worth remembering that most public sector annual salary increases have been limited to 1% for over a decade since the financial crash (so a pay cut every year when compared to inflation etc.).  The more people whose pay is cut the harder the economy will be hit.  

Now is not the time for finger pointing and resentment. 

Edited by sipar69

9 hours ago, The G Man said:

Oh I’m with you on the hypocrisy front, the premier league clubs fiasco for instance is galling to the point of being disgusting.  I would love to see players being furloughed and getting the government maximum monthly payment, which is probably more than most of the ground staff get anyway (or will get under furlough rules), utterly disgraceful.

Yes this is definitely a high level fiasco at the moment, clubs which charge working class £70 to watch a football match, that pay footballers incredible wages, continue to pay their footballers their salary and take government money to pay for non playing staff. How this hasn't made more of a headline is astonishing. The money is for businesses that will simply collapse in the coming months, Spurs and Newcastle will not collapse, they simply saw an opportunity and took it quite unethically in my book. The playing staff are a huge percentage of a clubs costs, a token 10% pay cut for a few months by them would more than cover the non playing staff costs. 

Edited by coldel
  • Like 2

Bus driver in Edinburgh, still working. Bandit screen closed, seats closest to my cab gets taped off and use hand gel at every terminal. Buses are empty 99% of the time, no such thing as rush hour now. Other than the severe lack of toilets to use I'm enjoying it.

Im a manager on a chemical complex with muliple chemical plants and a power plant. There is a shutdown on at the mo so loads of people on site still trying to keep 2m apart or where full PPE if that isnt possible. Im still coming into contact with hundreds every day but as we all still need food packaging and electricity we wont be getting any time off. Infact im working more overtime than i ever have with the amout of people having to isolate. Cant complain when my missus is a nurse on a COVID-19 positive ward

I'm a designer-manager in a marketing department. I've been working mostly at home since 2012 so it's not a big change for me but I miss the once-a-fortnight trip to the office (140 miles away).  What is better is now when there's a meeting, I'm not that one person who is on the other end of a phone whilst everyone else is in a room together. Equal footing.

I'm hoping one of the things that might come good from this situation is that companies and managers who are squeamish about the whole working from home thing might now see it's a good thing, and the % of homeworking hours for the country will remain at least a bit higher than pre-Covid levels.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, coldel said:

Myself and the management team (5 of us) are having friday drinks at 3:30 today over skype :lol:

Not sure about that reflexive pronoun (GLA @ATTAK Z can you rule please?) but in the spirit of getting along, myself and the lads are doing Century Club on Skype on Saturday. Expect chunder.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

Not sure about that reflexive pronoun (GLA @ATTAK Z can you rule please?) but in the spirit of getting along, myself and the lads are doing Century Club on Skype on Saturday. Expect chunder.

Instead of "Myself and the management team (5 of us) are having friday drinks at 3:30 today over skype :lol: " I would prefer " The management team and I (5 of us) are having Friday drinks at 3:30 today over Skype :lol:" but because forums are not that errr... formal, I think we can let that go.

Thanks for pointing it out though :bangin:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

Instead of "Myself and the management team (5 of us) are having friday drinks at 3:30 today over skype :lol: " I would prefer " The management team and I (5 of us) are having Friday drinks at 3:30 today over Skype :lol:" but because forums are not that errr... formal, I think we can let that go.

Thanks for pointing it out though :bangin:

Thanks for helping out, I am sure no one had a clue what I was on about :lol:

• Haha 1

'Me and the management team.' would be ok really.  'The management team and I' is grammatically correct but sounds quite formal in this context.  Just avoid 'myself and 'yourself' when 'me' or 'you' will do.

Edited by sipar69