Who's still working

andybp

My niece is one of the doctors on duty at one of the major hospitals in Sydney Australia. They're all trying to keep upbeat about the current workload. She sent her mum, my sister, a retired doctor who lives in UK, a message recently about some of the jokes going about in Oz. Here's the best one:

Elderly patient in a hospital bed asks the nurse through his surgical mask "Hope you can help me please, are my bo11ocks black" ... so the nurse puts her head under the bedsheets, checks him out and then replies "no you're all OK down below Mr Smith"

The patient then removes his mask and says "Well that's great thanks nurse but I only asked "Are my results Back"

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NeeZ said:

It maybe s##t, but to some people it's bread and butter 

Hmm bread and butter Doesn't sound right though I have had the odd accidental taste over the last 19 YRS :lol:

• Haha 1

When I started this Thread it was out of simple curiosity but it's been quite an eye opener the people being sent home and worrying about how they will cope with either no money coming in or being confined with the wife and kids, people like myself having to work but with no substantial increase in risk to all of the health workers putting themselves at risk every day no doubt in some cases S**tting themselves but still showing up for work every day

like I said an eye opener 

Stay safe :)

1 minute ago, marzman said:

Has anyone on here actually had CV19 yet, or have close family who have had it?

closest I've come is one of the guys at work his father in law just died of it other than that nothing

53 minutes ago, marzman said:

Our neighbours over the road have both had it ... wife late 50s early 60s, all the symptoms but now recovered, husband early 70s, very mild symptoms and also back to normal after 2 weeks self isolating. Glad I live in a rural area where it's quiet but people can still get out within the new rules.

40 minutes ago, andybp said:

closest I've come is one of the guys at work his father in law just died of it other than that nothing

Jesus...  

We've got 300-odd cases in Staffordshire. 

I went out to the shops last night in a mask and gloves etc... left the non perishable purchases in the garage where they'll stay for a few days, and disinfected everything else we bought, and the surfaces we put things on etc...  I felt fully creeped out for the rest of the evening.  But then all day today i've felt pretty rough.  Hopefully im just being a hypochondriac!!

I've been ill on and off for the last 2 months though, annoyingly.  i had a bad cold, which moved swiftly into Mumps of all things (which resulted in me getting taken to hospital in an ambulance on 5th Match), then i collapsed at home on 11th March with it!  The Mumps finally cleared on about 20th March but i've been left with a few other hangovers from it which are still ongoing, so my immune system is on its arse.  Not great given i'm only 36!  So i'm avoiding CV19 like the plague.

130 odd cases in Richmond out of 150,000 or so which is a very low incidence, I suspect the job profile around here lends itself more to London office jobs and many people have been indoors for two plus weeks?

Work has gone completely bonkers for the last 3 weeks and literally just about coping. Everyone seems to be stock piling salt for their water softeners - run a business delivering salt mainly to residential properties. I can adhere to government guidelines at present easily enough.

Will only struggle if my supply chain breaks down. At present all good so just milking it for all its worth :)

Crazy times.

Edited by Humpy

1 hour ago, marzman said:

I had what I thought was flu about a week before the first cases were reported in the UK. No fever or shortness of breath, but aches, shivers, persistent cough, and huge fatigue that ended up with me being signed off work for two weeks.  My GP said she thought it was flu but I do wonder now......

So everyone furloughed gets a 20 percent cut. Everyone self-employed gets a 20 percent cut. Well, not everyone of them.

Why isn't everyone getting a 20 percent cut? Civil service, MPs, ex MPs pensions, Lords pay, BBC staff who put fancy CV news trailers with ominous music over them...  Cops, army, courts... Landlords. Interest payments.

And the furloughed money hasn't appeared yet.

Must admit just read that Spurs Norwich and Newcastle have furloughed non playing staff. Struggling a bit with this...it’s government cash designed to, on the whole, keep small businesses afloat. Spurs made something like £70m profit last year, yet whilst there players continue being paid in full to the tune if millions per week the other staff get 80% And the money is coming from a pot designed to support financially struggling businesses...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

As a kid I always liked to measure my glass against my brother's... And so did he. 

Given that all the people I listed don't actually pay tax (apart from vat) it seems harsh that they don't get a haircut too? 

Why don’t the Civil Service, BBC and the other staff mentioned pay PAYE as employees, not to mention employers for the organisations?

The mentality that if it’s bad for me, I want it to bad for others too, is totally beyond me. You don’t get more, if they get less. You may as well hope for it to rain next door to make it sunnier in your back garden :shrug:

More broadly speaking, let’s face it, the problem of people not having enough money has been around way before COVID-19, and perfected by the ideological (not economic) austerity of the last 10 years, which has demonstrably grown the national debt, despite promising to clear it. Sadly there was no magic money tree then.

The aid they’re dishing out now is nothing to do with helping people who need it, if it was there wouldn’t have been any poverty or food banks in the UK for decades. This about discovering the magic money, when it suits your voters. 

It wasn’t that long ago the big plan was just to let everyone get infected and see who dies - they’ve not developed a selfless new desire to “do the right thing” overnight.

• Like 2

Are you advocating that everyone that are still working full time or part time, doctors, nurses, supermarket workers, distribution workers, transport workers etc, etc get a 20% wage cut?  Are you aware that those furloughed are not working but receiving, up to £2.5k per month for NOT working.  

I’m honestly not seeing your point, or your brothers glass analogy :help:

47 minutes ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

So everyone furloughed gets a 20 percent cut. Everyone self-employed gets a 20 percent cut. Well, not everyone of them.

Why isn't everyone getting a 20 percent cut? 

• Like 1

Aye, the 'austerity' policy cracks me up. Every street up here is being resurfaced. Our estate where we drive at 10mph has just had a Silverstone level blacktop put down. On the footpaths too. 

But they cut the hell out of the police, prisons, education and hospitals? Almost like Mr Tarmac has friends in high (coke head leaders) places. 

If they shut down peoples jobs then it should be spread across everyone but there has been no announcement how they'll pay.  

Apart from giving grants to companies that will go direct to the landlords

Edited by Kieran O'Quick