Who's still working

andybp

So who's still working ?

what do you do ?

do you think you should be ?

what are your risks ?

I am

I'm a process technician (Sewage Worker)

we absolutely need to be in it's a 24/7 job if we told everyone to stop flushing the health implications would be huge

we have had no definitive answer as to weather the virus can survive in sewage but our PPE is pretty comprehensive and we are more careful than usual in high risk areas

pretty much all office staff now work from home and the rest of us avoid each other like the plague where possible :)

• Thanks 1

Working from home, IT project manager. I usually do a day a week from home, so it's not a massive departure, but I have started to miss the day to day office chat after 9 days. I realise that's a first world problem right now when so many have no income, but even if I wasn't still working, I'd still miss the interaction. My 'work flat' has just me in it, 3 floors up, so it's "easy" to isolate away from the world, which is a blessing. Think I might have an e-drinking session this weekend with the lads lads lads to mix it up.

@andybp given the other nasties you must usually be exposed to, I guess this probably isn't such a big deal when you're fully suited up?

• Like 1

Still working as I'm classed as a key worker (Ships Captain). 

Pretty much self isolated when on a boat anyway. I used to do 4 months of this at a time, so uniquely placed to handle the lockdown I think. 

Making more time to check up on folks though - hence me popping in here for the first time in a while. 

• Like 5

I’m a prison officer at a large Cat C establishment in the London catchment area, so I’m still going to work as normal obviously. As the other half is in the very high risk category (pregnant with a heart condition) I’m confined to working the cleaner D Cat units, but that doesn’t make me safe at all. I just get on with it and deal with it as normal, doesn’t mean I’m not terrified for the life of my unborn child. 

• Like 2

I work for Nectar, part of Sainsbury's Group - we have all been WFH since start of last week. As a data marketing business it's pretty easy to work remotely but as Stu says, miss the banter and camaraderie. We have daily zoom meetings with the management team which has been a bit of light relief but otherwise starting to get the cabin fever...especially with an 8 year old boy at home that needs home schooling too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperStu said:

Working from home, IT project manager. I usually do a day a week from home, so it's not a massive departure, but I have started to miss the day to day office chat after 9 days. I realise that's a first world problem right now when so many have no income, but even if I wasn't still working, I'd still miss the interaction. My 'work flat' has just me in it, 3 floors up, so it's "easy" to isolate away from the world, which is a blessing. Think I might have an e-drinking session this weekend with the lads lads lads to mix it up.

@andybp given the other nasties you must usually be exposed to, I guess this probably isn't such a big deal when you're fully suited up?

sadly because of our somewhat overactive immune systems some of the guys thing that they are indestructible but it won't stop them spreading it to other people who don't have this advantage also it's something of a double edged sword if the missus gets a cold she'll have it for a week or two be a bit miserable but be able to function if I get it I'll be out for the count completely out of it but next day I'll be fine :shrug: 

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Still working as I'm classed as a key worker (Ships Captain). 

Pretty much self isolated when on a boat anyway. I used to do 4 months of this at a time, so uniquely placed to handle the lockdown I think. 

Making more time to check up on folks though - hence me popping in here for the first time in a while. 

can't get the Captain Pugwash theme out of my head now :lol:

Not working as of last Tuesday. although our group is a hire firm, so we are staying open for the emergency sector but we are down to a skeleton crew. The training department has been completely shut for the foreseeable future. Trying times ahead for all of us I think.

Stay safe all those that are still working.

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

I’m a prison officer at a large Cat C establishment in the London catchment area, so I’m still going to work as normal obviously. As the other half is in the very high risk category (pregnant with a heart condition) I’m confined to working the cleaner D Cat units, but that doesn’t make me safe at all. I just get on with it and deal with it as normal, doesn’t mean I’m not terrified for the life of my unborn child. 

Its amazing how many people are essential workers many you wouldn't think of until it's pointed out to you

Stay safe Dan :thumbs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coldel said:

I work for Nectar, part of Sainsbury's Group - we have all been WFH since start of last week. As a data marketing business it's pretty easy to work remotely but as Stu says, miss the banter and camaraderie. We have daily zoom meetings with the management team which has been a bit of light relief but otherwise starting to get the cabin fever...especially with an 8 year old boy at home that needs home schooling too.  

I know what you mean about the banter

our work whatsapp group has been bing-ing away all day and half of us are off today but we never turn our phones off and always support each other

as much as this pandemic has highlighted some of the worst of our society it has also highlighted a lot of good the way some people are looking out for each other

and the camaraderie (something this site is well known for) and the very public appreciation for NHS Staff

saying that my wife now has to put her NHS ID in her pocket instead of wearing it now as NHS staff have been targeted by people stealing their ID's :angry:

Edited by andybp

I'm a farmer so not really noticed what's going on outside of the postcode, just lots more people walking along our footpaths, I think when drilling is done it may start to sink in. Feel sorry for people stuck in small houses and flats without a garden as I can go for nice long walks with the dogs no problem at all

• Like 1

Still in work 

I drive heavy plant on demolition sites with only a couple of guys on site 

We are keeping our distance at break times but I'm mostly isolated in my cab for most of the day 

This been said we might be shutting next week 

• Like 1

Been WFH for about two weeks now - software engineer, so it's pretty easy to do remotely. Though as has been mentioned, the lack of banter / background chat really sucks.

That, and I had just replaced the Zed with a much cheaper to run (allegedly) Fiesta ST. Sodding typical!

• Like 1

I was one of the consultants on call two weeks ago when we first started getting the first confirmed COVID cases in. Since than I've see half a dozen patients whom have now been confirmed with COVID. This week we've been trying to get some mental support in place for staff whom are going to be seeing some horrific scenes in the coming weeks :(.

COVID19 case are now going up 30% every day in our hospital, average age of patients with COVID on ITU is only 65 and mortally rate is 50%!! We still have capacity at the moment, but am not looking forwards to been on call next weekend. We are projecting 'peak' demand will hit in 10 days, how long it stays at 'peak' levels no one knows. 

Only thing I enjoy about work at present is the commute in on the pedal bike, even at Christmas time the main road into town is never this quite!!

49700431217_4636d01c60_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, andybp said:

we have had no definitive answer as to weather the virus can survive in sewage

Data from China shows viral load in GI/faeces is fairly low (though only based on a case series from 8 patients), most patients who are COVID+ don't seem to have much detectable viral load from GI tract. 

The virus is also very unstable once the Ph goes much above 8 to below 6, am not sure what the Ph of sewage is, but I doubt an RNA based virus can survive long. Your chance of catching it from a colleague is probably higher. 

Edited by gangzoom
  • Thanks 2

Just now, gangzoom said:

Data from China shows viral load in GI/faeces is fairly low, most patients who are COVID+ don't have much detectable viral load from GI tract. 

The virus is also very unstable once the Ph goes much above 8 to below 6, am not sure what the Ph of sewage is, but I doubt an RNA based virus can survive long. Your chance of catching it from a colleague is probably higher. 

good to know and also the most complete answer i've heard everything we've had so far has been vague and non committal

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Still working.

Got my staff working from home now and we only have one person go into the office / warehouse when we have a few orders to ship.

We supply speciality items used in biotech to universities, research establishments and private companies.

It is eerily quiet but there is obviously some pretty important work going on so we will remain operational.

Big, big thanks to all of you above for the great work you are doing.

• Like 1

Working from home for the foreseeable future and have been since early March. I’m a service delivery manager for an IT company and work has reduced by about 80% as all my customers are retail or hospitality. 

Apparently we are likely to have to cut jobs early next month - everything crossed I’m not one of them :surrender:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Work in motorsport, we were relegated to WFH at the start of the week but since then the 2 main governing bodies have pushed their ban dates back again to the end of May and June respectively so looks as though most of us will be getting furloughed on the government scheme pretty soon until motorsport starts back up again. 

• Like 1

Firstly, Lexx a ‘captain’ :lol: :thumbs:

@gangzoom as the dad of a nurse (so is her husband), I’d like to say a massive thanks for going into work and facing what you have to face on a daily basis :thumbs:

Dan, I was a prison officer once, well more than once, CatA, cons will accept most things and mostly are indestructible, until the drugs from the visits dry up :surrender:

I drive trains and today I was in 6 different cabs, after 6 different drivers, with six different families, I’m running out of all ppe, wipes, hand sanitiser, gloves etc but folk need to get to work for much more important work and at more risk than me, so has to be done.

I’ve been a soldier and in the past been in Lashkar Gah, Camp Dimond (among many other places) and there was this one time (:teeth:), we were told that 40,000 Taliban were amassing, ready to bring Armageddon down on us, there were a few gulps, but I thought, “I’ve got 240 rounds of 5.56 for my long barrel, 60 rounds of 9mm for my Glock, that should see me through the first 5 minutes, before I bayonet myself”

This Covid is much, much more scarier and I’m afraid for us all, even Boris (who, I wouldn’t sh1t on if he was on fire), you cannot spot or identify this enemy, most of my enemy are ‘friendlies’ but well meaning, but the best friendlies are the ones that stay invisible, stay at home, don’t put our emergency services and I include all shop workers, support workers, transport workers, anyone involved in the logistics of fighting this bastart of a virus, at risk.

I’m on a 7 day shift cycle at the mo, just hope I don’t bring anything, other than myself home.

Keep it real folks, and if you don’t have to, don’t go out :thumbs:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, The G Man said:

Firstly, Lexx a ‘captain’ :lol: :thumbs:

@gangzoom as the dad of a nurse (so is her husband), I’d like to say a massive thanks for going into work and facing what you have to face on a daily basis :thumbs:

Dan, I was a prison officer once, well more than once, CatA, cons will accept most things and mostly are indestructible, until the drugs from the visits dry up :surrender:

I drive trains and today I was in 6 different cabs, after 6 different drivers, with six different families, I’m running out of all ppe, wipes, hand sanitiser, gloves etc but folk need to get to work for much more important work and at more risk than me, so has to be done.

I’ve been a soldier and in the past been in Lashkar Gah, Camp Dimond (among many other places) and there was this one time (:teeth:), we were told that 40,000 Taliban were amassing, ready to bring Armageddon down on us, there were a few gulps, but I thought, “I’ve got 240 rounds of 5.56 for my long barrel, 60 rounds of 9mm for my Glock, that should see me through the first 5 minutes, before I bayonet myself”

This Covid is much, much more scarier and I’m afraid for us all, even Boris (who, I wouldn’t sh1t on if he was on fire), you cannot spot or identify this enemy, most of my enemy are ‘friendlies’ but well meaning, but the best friendlies are the ones that stay invisible, stay at home, don’t put our emergency services and I include all shop workers, support workers, transport workers, anyone involved in the logistics of fighting this bastart of a virus, at risk.

I’m on a 7 day shift cycle at the mo, just hope I don’t bring anything, other than myself home.

Keep it real folks, and if you don’t have to, don’t go out :thumbs:

Hey George. 

Yeah, Captain for nearly 4 years now. 

Not sure what routes you're working at the moment, but if you get as far as Aberdeen Station let me know (my number hasn't changed in 15 years we've known each other so you may still have it) and I'll walk to over and give you a 750ml bottle of alcohol based sanitiser and a 500ml bottle of Peroxide based sanitiser to keep with you for cab hopping. 

• Like 1