Oil Top up until Full Oil Change

Mikey_S

Hi, hoping for some quick advice as i need to buy some oil tonight. Rev-up that's munching oil. Want to top it up until end of March when i'm getting a P3 done.  Looking to buy a cheap stand in for the next 2-3 weeks until it gets a fresh 5ltrs of Motul.

Halfords is close and i saw a comment in the big fluids list that suggested a semi synth 10w-40. Oil is low so would you recommend either of the below as a stand in for a few weeks?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/engine-oil/petronas-syntium-800-eu-10w-40-oil-5l-256468.html

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-gtx-ultraclean-10w40-oil-4l-562857.html

Would appreciate some sage advice here

Thanks

Mike

Put your reg in to opie oils and they will give a list of recommended compatible oil. They're delivery is pretty quick and I'm sure the club still gets a 10% discount from then aswel. 

If your going with motoul oil in your service and your cars using a lot of oil then prob best just to get 5L of motul for your top ups.

Are you addressing the oil consumption? or just going to keep feeding her oil?

On 13/03/2020 at 11:56, scobie140 said:

Put your reg in to opie oils and they will give a list of recommended compatible oil. They're delivery is pretty quick and I'm sure the club still gets a 10% discount from then aswel. 

If your going with motoul oil in your service and your cars using a lot of oil then prob best just to get 5L of motul for your top ups.

Are you addressing the oil consumption? or just going to keep feeding her oil?

Opie came up with the standard 10w-30 but had read a few threads where the thicker oil (although only until warm) seemed to reduce oil consumption by some what.

I try to check the oil regularly but car is not regularly parked on flat surfaces (surprisingly) so it's not always easy for me to get correct readings. I don't think its overly excessive oil use but not really had the time to investigate the issue. What would be the recommended route? 

>Monitor current top up over amount of miles covered?

>Compression test?

I'm assuming any garage worth their salt can typically perform these?

I do notice that during a rev heavy sprint (i have a long, straight and relatively quiet bypass close by) i do get a burning smell sometimes in the cabin, it doesn't last long, there's no smoke so i've always put it down to a small bit of oil burning off.

just buy a couple of 5 litres of the oil of your choice and after the oil change just top up if and when needed with the remainder of the oil.

As regards oil consumption, firstly determine that you do not have any external leaks by leaving a large piece of card under your car overnight.

Then perform an oil consumption test by topping your oil up to the max mark and record your mileage.

Check your oil periodically and top up accurately as required noting the mileage each time.

1000 miles per 1 x litre of oil is considered acceptable.

5 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

1000 miles per 1 x litre of oil is considered acceptable.

Is this peculiar to the 350?  Both my 370’s used near to no oil in between services, my RX8 used nowhere near this amount and it was considered an oil guzzler :lol:

Same with the Stang, it’s used virtually no oil, between services.

I’d be concerned at the 1L/1000miles rate.

I’d certainly be doing the card detection hack