Greta Thurnberg (A Game of Climate)

What are your opinions on her? I think she is being used to push the agenda of climate change but I also respect what she is trying to achieve or should I say what her parents are trying to achieve. She could just be the Avatar. People have told her to go back to school and how she has missed out on a child hood etc. Shes aiming for Net Zero Emissions by 2040 that date seems to change with the wind. 

One MEP pointed out that without the whole world in unison, Europe alone wont have an impact on the overall planet in terms of climate change. I don't completely agree but I think Africa and Asia will have to be on board as well.

Also there is the issue of people below poverty lines going green which is a luxury afforded to those who can afford it. I've been following the ban on rogue/Unregulated/Unlicensed taxis and motorbikes which do most of the pollution in Nigeria in certain cities. This has put millions out of work. Although they have sought alternatives, the vast majority cannot afford to buy an electric moped or electric vehicle?

I also think there is an element of Messiah complex. The great hope and savior (Captain Planet going to bring pollution down to zero) , her followers and parents are loving every minute of it. Don't be suprised if they start making cartoons with her in a costume soon. Shes managed to get many sponsorships and trademark deals done since she has begun. She will be around for a long while I am sure. This is the only career that matters to her it seems.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

She’s got her thing and she’s running with it, it’s not totally aligned with what I believe in but I think the objective is a laudable one, albeit naive. There’s only state actors that can really do anything about carbon and no one really wants to, however much people complain. They’ll start to listen when the voters start to consider it a hot topic.

What I do admire about her is her uncanny ability to get the likes of Piers Morgan to wet his knickers. I know he’s a professional opinion generator, just in it for the publicity he needs to stay relevant, but anything that anyone does to make him look increasingly infantile is both hilarious and worthy of praise!

• Haha 1

I couldn't stand her at one stage, but I kind of respect the message. Shes amassing a huge following now. I have some reading to do on the topic. But from the sounds of it she wants the world to conform to Net zero emissions. Its not going to be easy to tell Asia and Africa to fall in line. Europe will eventually be the leader on climate change and maybe others will follow suit. 

Maybe I'm reading this all wrong, in simplistic terms reducing emissions and planting more trees will help right?

https://www.wri.org/blog/2019/09/what-does-net-zero-emissions-mean-6-common-questions-answered

Fifteen countries have now adopted net-zero targets — Bhutan, Costa Rica, Denmark, Fiji, Finland, France, Iceland, Japan, the Marshall Islands, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Uruguay. An updated list of announcements can be found here. While there are new announcements every month, the percentage of global emissions covered by some form of a net-zero target still hovers around 5%. Some of these targets are in law, and some are in other policy documents. Some net-zero targets have been incorporated directly into countries' long-term, low-emissions development strategies, while other countries have adopted net-zero targets before submitting a long-term strategy.

Blog-NetZero-countries2.png

Easier said than done :lol:.... I agree with everything on the list bar 10 :lol:, and also agricultural emissions will be harder to reduce especially in developing countries due to cost of equipment. 5 is a grey area. Maybe after 10-15 years they can start clamping down on sale of new ICE vehicles and Hybrids

Blog-NetZero-solutions-2.png

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I feel for Greta to an extent, what she does is admirable, and for someone so young to have such an impact on world leaders just by standing by what she believes in - takes some doing. Especially dealing with Aspergers, just to throw that in the mix. Of course plenty of people have jumped on the band wagon, a mate of mine runs a renewable energy company and met her at a recent event, she was surrounded by about 20 people they follow her everywhere. 

To be honest, she is right, we got to stop burning stuff, thats kind of how we managed to keep warm in caves thousands of years ago. We have tech now which makes energy and is renewable, so in effect, set it up and let it run. With the added advantage its greener - offshore wind farms are greener and cheaper for the full life cycle of their life yet we still pump gas in from the Ukraine, makes no sense at all. We are surrounded by water, in the midst of patriots screaming brexit from an energy provision point of view those same people seem happier to import stuff than generate our own :lol: 

In terms of what impact the UK has, of course its minimal, but we can hardly stand there pointing fingers at Asia and America if we do nothing ourselves. Lead by example and all that. I can roll with 10 - I am happy to reduce meat but wouldn't want to be vegetarian. I don'e eat meat for breakfast or lunch, so its just sorting out the evening meals!

All that said, bloody hate EVs, they rip the soul out of fun car ownership, great for your traffic light grand prix heroes and people that cant do corners but anyone that enjoys motoring for the theatre they are terrible. But will enjoy mine whilst I am still allowed to!

Edited by coldel

She’s a kid who’s never had to live in the real world. Her goal is fine, no issues there, but it’s not realistic so it’s become a religion more than anything. Her patronising tone of voice appeals to the young, but does nothing for those who can actually make a change. That’s her biggest issue, ultimately she wants to be popular like any child. 

Why can't we just tax having more than 2 kids? 

There is so much misinformation going around. The farmer bashing annoys me, as I am one. We produce carbon but we also use a shed load of carbon. Also we produce food, the stuff that keeps you alive, UK agriculture also can only feed around 50% of the population, get rid animals and that will drop again.  I can feel a rant coming on so I shall stop there! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

She’s a kid who’s never had to live in the real world. Her goal is fine, no issues there, but it’s not realistic so it’s become a religion more than anything. Her patronising tone of voice appeals to the young, but does nothing for those who can actually make a change. That’s her biggest issue, ultimately she wants to be popular like any child. 

So, like a smaller version of AOC? :lol:

Im sure her intentions are good,however I am old enough to remember loads of other people standing up for what they believed.John Lennon (all you need is love and peace) the Flower  Power mob,they are all grown up now, and Ban the Bomb .There are of course others and mostly they achieved nothing .