JP Spec Question

Raggamuffin

Hi all,

Looking at a JP import 350z automatic. Under 75k miles. Potentially buying on the weekend.

Are there any disadvantages to owning an import asides from resale value? I rang a Nissan garage and they said in terms of servicing it shouldn't be problematic in terms of parts etc (although I'd go with a 3rd party garage). The garage selling the car said JP cars are electronically limited to 115mph.

Speedo has been converted as has the sat nav with a brand new unit. Service book is stamped, but other than that - it's a bit of a shot in the dark?

What do you reckon I should look out for when viewing it? The garage said there is no corrosion and it's a pretty spotless example.

Ed

Edited by Raggamuffin

Import spec can vary from UK version. For example all UK cars had lsd, 18' alloys and brembo brakes as standard. A 350z lacking these will of course be less desirable than a UK car, affecting it's value. So long as it has 18's, Brembo's LSD leathers and cruise I'd say you into a winner. Also the UK intake hose to the throttle body is uprated compared to the Jap imports. 

One issue I see is the MOT logged 115796 miles, but the advert says just shy of 72k miles. I did a conversion of 115796 km to miles and it seems that's what's happened. Problem is - would this cause an issue in the MOT? presenting a car which has apparently done thousands of miles less than it had done in the previous MOT?

Ed

As its an auto it will have an lsd, the. Ukage probably still reads in km so the seller has done the conversion but all mots will read the odomoter so you will be fine there. 

Doesn't look like you have brembos but it's  it a tricky or excessively expensive swap. 

I'm intending to keep it as a project car - so I'd be intending to upgrade the brakes in time anyway.

The odometer now reads the new lower reading in miles not km - will that be ok for the MOT then? They said it was a US speedometer.

9e635fb02cc64f119973cacd7f8a3971.jpg.de327b6fd7cddb18e533c15c4ee9c1b2.jpg

Eh, I'm reeling in the impulse buy. I could float it on finance but then I'd be financially broke for another 6 months or so. 

Whereas if I save up there's no stress about repayments etc and I could still afford to buy one in time for summer. 

The road tax was cheaper for some reason but the insurance was a lot steeper on an import. 

I think realistically I want a face lift, UK spec manual model. Whilst this one was an absolute bargain at 4500, I think I need to be patient and actually save up 

I'm rather fed up of years of financing things. Its impulse buys then months broke whilst I hurriedly pay off what's owed as quickly as possible. I just paid off a 2 year one 14 months early and I'm already planning to do a similar thing. 

Boys and their toys eh. 

Ed

It was one I saw on auto trader. Its already been imported. Auto wasn't my first choice, but it was low mileage in black for a very cheap price. 

Then only appeal to an automatic is making the rush hour commute more relaxing, not having to worry about the clutch. 

Ed

ah ok, no worries, thought you were looking to import. My bad.

Below are purely assumptions based on the advert

In the picture i cant see any flashes of orange so i'm assuming no brembos ,

it also doesn't have cruise control from what i can see, can't see any steering wheel buttons.  (advert says it does)

Does have heated leather seats though - at least the buttons are there,

Decent looking car though. Car would probably hold value +/- £500 or so if in good nick for the next year or two, plus you can probably get the dealer down another 500 ;)