Which HFCs

JohnI

Hi guys,

I have a 2016 370Z Nismo, which already has an ARK GRiP cat back exhaust & a Stillen Gen3 inlet system, but it’s quite quiet. I would like to fit a pair of HFCs also, to get a nicer soundtrack, but OAPs are not meant to have LOUD cars! I would like it to be quiet at cruising speed but sound good when it’s being used properly.

My research seems to TarmacSportz units. Does anybody have experience of these or do you know better?

Also do we get any discount from TarmacSportz or through anyone else?

Your help & recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation 

The brand of HFC you buy will make very little difference to how they sound as they all have basically the same characteristics when paired with an aftermarket exhaust system.  The car will be very loud on cold start but should then be fairly civilised up to around 3,000 RPM, after which you get a nice howl when you put your foot down.  

You will need to get the car remapped to maximise gains and at the same time you should have the relevant 02 sensor disabled to stop the engine warning light repeatedly tripping.  Bear in mind also that you are not guaranteed to pass MOT emissions tests with HFCs fitted.  I had Cobra HFCs on my previous Nismo. Passed the one and only MOT I had on that car with no problems. 

I've had a full Cobra system and just moved to Tarmac HFCs and ARK GRiP exhaust.

Cobra was the louder of the two, even had a few decent pops on the down shift. Unfortunately wouldn't give me much time around track before being pulled for noise. Had to tame it down to Tarmac HFC and ARK exhaust. 

14 hours ago, JohnI said:

Hi,

That is really helpful, thanks very much, have you had any MOT problems?

I got mine last April and the garage put a years MOT on it with the HFC's on(with an advisory of exhaust noisy lol!). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it passes again next month at my local garage. Worse case scenario is that I do still have the original cats so it will just mean a bit of pratting about swapping them over I guess. 

I have to admit that the noise the car makes is my favourite thing about it, and I didn't want a standard one because they are too quiet for me(I used to have a TVR Cerbera 4.5 so I like/enjoy exhausts loud! :D). 

• 5 months later...
On 03/03/2020 at 16:14, JohnI said:

Hi guys,

I have a 2016 370Z Nismo, which already has an ARK GRiP cat back exhaust & a Stillen Gen3 inlet system, but it’s quite quiet. I would like to fit a pair of HFCs also, to get a nicer soundtrack, but OAPs are not meant to have LOUD cars! I would like it to be quiet at cruising speed but sound good when it’s being used properly.

My research seems to TarmacSportz units. Does anybody have experience of these or do you know better?

Also do we get any discount from TarmacSportz or through anyone else?

Your help & recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation 

Your never to old for a decent exaust that shouts when you wanted it to, guess i am getting old at almost 54:dry: but i have just ordered a Greddy evolution gt cat back becouse my nismo is to quiet 

• Like 1

Not all HFC are the same! They vary in their cell count, the lower the cell count the less restrictive, more noisy and less likely to pass an MOT. Most are 200 or 300 cell count. Some also come with anti foulers built into the O2 bungs (these space the O2 sensor further away from the exhaust flow in order to reduce the chances of a check engine light being triggered). Also check what grade of stainless steel are they made from ?

I've had Cobra and Berk HFCs, both have passed an MOT, just got to get them nice and hot.

Tarmac HFCs are listed as 200 cell, neither Cobra or Berk list a cell count on their websites.

As to noise, it's fine, not too noisy. 

Edited by Sim

• 1 month later...

On 04/03/2020 at 22:26, JohnI said:

Hi,

That is really helpful, thanks very much, have you had any MOT problems?

A quick update to this. My 370Z passed the MOT today and the HFC's were fine. :)

Edited by Lee370Z

2 hours ago, Bunning said:

@Lee370Z just out of curiosity what brand are your HFCs

1 hour ago, JohnI said:

That’s good news, who’s cats are they? I have fitted Cobras 

Thanks. :)

I wish I knew so I could tell you, but they were already on the car when I bought it, and I've not had the opportunity yet to look at them in detail on a ramp sadly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2020 at 21:58, JohnI said:

That’s good news, who’s cats are they? I have fitted Cobras 

John, how loud do you find the Cobra ones? and what system are they attached to?

I'm looking at replacing my cats as they are looking tired and Abbey have suggested Cobras over Berks. I already have a cat back Cobra system with factory cats.