Is my Z an Import?

HRBL

I've only noticed this today - on my V5 in the notes section it says:

1. WAS REGISTERED/USED OVERSEAS. DECLARED MANUFACTURED 2005.

I can't understand this. The car was manufactured in 2005, and was sold (surely as new) by Chorley Nissan Preston, UK, in March 2005 with "PE05" plates. From what I can gather it immediately went to Northern Ireland and remained there until 2018, when it's come back to England.

It's a UK-spec model, with a full VIN number that all matches up to being manufactured in 2005.

How could this car have been registered new outside the UK? Am I missing something here?

The recess is a normal UK one - it's a GT spec model, nothing about it suggests it's a JDM model in any way.

V5 says date of first registration in the UK is 14/03/2005

I'm also leaning towards it being something to do with it first being registered in Northern Ireland. Which I didn't think would flag the car up as an import.

I might contact the DVLA and see if they can explain it.

Yes - the car is on NI plates now

It's a weird one - NI is part of the UK so wouldn't have thought this car would class as an import, especially since its first plates were Preston ones in March 2005, the same year it was manufactured

I've contacted the DVLA for more info, hopefully they can explain what's going on here

Is it possible it was registered in the Republic of Ireland for a period?  Otherwise perhaps back then there was a 'transfer' to NI resulting in those notes and the new NI plate being put on.

FWIW my 350Z was sold new in NI, I bought it there and brought it back, still on an NI plate.  It doesn't have that note on the V5, just 'declared new at first registration'.  But that's different from yours that was bought in England and shipped to NI.

It's possible I guess, but at no point has it had a Rep of Ireland plate on it, just some different NI variants. But something like that would possibly explain the V5 note.

It was PDI'd in Preston 2005, manufactured 2005, and given "PE05" plates to begin with. About four months later it changed to NI plates.

It's a weird one. I've Googled it a lot but can't find anything quite like it, and there's a lot of disagreement of whether NI would count as an import or not.

I'll post what the DVLA reckon once they get back to me. Right now I'm unsure whether it counts as an import for insurance purposes, because it's a UK model PDI'd and sold in the UK originally...!

(On a side note - I looked at a JDM 350Z too before buying this one. That one DIDN'T show up as an import on HPI, despite having the short JDM chassis number, being a Fairlady Z, with the square reg recess etc all on it. But to my mind, had I bought it I'd have insured it as an import, because it clearly was an import)

• 4 weeks later...

Cars registered in NI don't count as overseas..... its all under same DVLA. 

Personal plates wouldn't flag as overseas either. (I'm based in NI and have had UK plates, Scottish, personal UK and ROI plates)

My current Z has the same notation on the V5, it was registered in ROI for a couple of years. 

Surely DVLA would be able to give you further info if you contact them? 

What is the reg?