Speeding fines

leebottrill

If automated means of speed detection ie camera, then they must send you the NIP within 14 days. If caught by a person and stopped at the roadside, it’s six months to lay it before a court as them stopping you counts as the NIP. 

3 minutes ago, leebottrill said:

I understand the 14 day rule, but in reality I think the penalty comes sooner. I’ve heard of it coming well within a week. 

just wanted to see if anyone has actually had one and how long it took? 

Depends on how you were detected, which force, how they process the data etc. Impossible for anyone to tell you with any certainty tbh. 

But come on, ‘fess up: What speed in a what zone? ;) 

I drove through a newly installed average speed camera zone last night. It was a 60 into a 30. i was going to quick initially but slowed right down. Half way through the village it dawned on my they might have finally installed the speed cameras (after years of people requesting it). As i drove up the hill i could see the second camera in the distance (facing away from me). I stopped and turned around straight away and went back to check the start of the village and i found the first camera. I think ill be fine this time as i didn't get caught on the second camera, but they have been there for two weeks and I've driven through there twice now and cant remember how fast i was going. one was 9 days ago and one was 5 days ago. 

How I've missed the big signs and bright yellow speed cameras is beyond me!

Also, one set has two cameras and the second only has one, not sure it that means its only monitoring one way? The cameras were VECTOR's i think. 

now the waiting game!!

Usually within 2 or 3 days in my family's experience if its a parked up mobile van, id presume average cameras are the same. 

It is worth noting however, in general they seem to put these average cameras up, but leave them switched off for months. I remember several times hearing in the news that "the average cameras on xxxxx road are now live", when everyone has presumed that they have been live for months. So you might be "lucky".

Speeding tickets in North Wales are always sent out on a Monday (in bulk) and will arrive well within 14 days of the offence. This applies to fixed cameras and mobile camera  vans. My wife used to work for the department that handled the tickets for fixed cameras at Flintshire County Council

• Like 1

Got caught by a van at the side of a dual carriageway, it came through within a few days. 

Annoyingly it was a road I drove all the time, and I always set the cruise control at 70 or so, but some pillock kept speeding up and slowing down so I thought I'd just nip past him... right in front of the van! In my defence, it was a lovely sunny day, however the van was obscured by a couple of trucks so I didn't see it until it was too late.

Got done for 84 in a 70.

5 minutes ago, Androlyn said:

You may not even get a fine with points, you may be offered a "Speed Awareness Course", still get fined but no points.

It happened to me, I was on the A3 heading south on a stretch I know well and a mobile van got me!

Wish that applied in Scotland! I don't believe we get that option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2020 at 19:08, CountKyle said:

Wish that applied in Scotland! I don't believe we get that option.

The SG and PS have been looking into this for the last couple of years but PS are awaiting funding from the SG to get it up and running. I think we'll get it eventually but the SG seem to be dragging their feet on it

Theres nothing saying one set of average speed cameras cant get your speed. Despite that not being the primary purpose. I was bricking it too as I did an overtake immediately after one of the average speed cameras. I think I was beyond visual range though.

I was told by a lawyer once that beyond Band C there are other Bands they can use to severely punish offenders. Upper Limit in a 40 is 66. But for example if you were doing 90 in a 40 or 100 in a 40. They could increase the fine and the ban length. I read somewhere some 17 year old got a 12 month ban doing 90mph in a 30 mph zone.

The guy caught doing 175 MPH in the GTR years ago got Jail apparently. So it depends on severity and conditions etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2020 at 12:39, leebottrill said:

Over two weeks in and no fines yet! fingers crossed!!

If it's past 14 days since you drove through there, then you're safe, they can't prosecute if they don't notify you within 14 days.

(assuming your address is up to date with the DVLA)