Going Electric?

MONKEYSOCKS

Probably wrong section, just thought I'd get some feedback from you guys about everything going electric in 15 years?

Really happy with my z and is an ongoing build, but now I'm pausing as not sure if I want to keep modding if I'm going to end up having to scrap her in future if sale value drops to £0.   

So basically, do I keep a car that I love and keep doing what I'm doing, or sell soon, cash in and start saving for a boring electric motor knowing that it's inevitable?

1 hour ago, MONKEYSOCKS said:

Probably wrong section, just thought I'd get some feedback from you guys about everything going electric in 15 years?

Really happy with my z and is an ongoing build, but now I'm pausing as not sure if I want to keep modding if I'm going to end up having to scrap her in future if sale value drops to £0.   

So basically, do I keep a car that I love and keep doing what I'm doing, or sell soon, cash in and start saving for a boring electric motor knowing that it's inevitable?

I dont believe they will have the infrastrucure in place so cant see it happening.

Also, they are only banning the sale of new fossil fuel cars they are not banning them from the road.

Enjoy your 'polluting' motoring days while you still can. 

I can see used prices of special petrol performance cars possibly increasing if the supply of new ones is banned.

Obviously they'll put heavier taxes on petrol cars, but they won't be able to make it unaffordable for the masses as the majority of car owners wouldn't be able to afford ditching their run of the mill older petrol cars and splashing out on a new electric one EVEN IF the charging facilities are in place.

There will be market forces at play along with government intervention like any industry really. A quick look on autotrader shows ballpark 450k used cars for sale at the moment, if I pop in £5k as a price limit it drops to 80k, so in effect 20% of the market is sub £5k - where do those buyers go when they need to replace with a used car? 

I can imagine there will be petrol cars around for 10 years after the sales ban, then it will dwindle down to a handful of enthusiasts who have to travel further to find stations still selling fuel. 

Certainly there is also the issue of hydrogen cars, at the moment the process is not very green to get the fuel, but that will change (as did the ability of batteries to store larger amounts of power) so the future is likely to be a mixture of manufacturers selling hydrogen and electric vehicles. The real challenge is about air travel, far too many planes in the sky burning stuff.

So in terms of your question OP, no dont worry about modding a car that in 20 years you will still be able to drive, they will have to tax EVs and Hydrogen cars as they do now petrol cars to keep the coffers topped up, either that or they tax road usage via your connected car or similar.

But as others have said, we are lucky to be able to have motoring as a hobby and a passion at the moment. When I first drove my VXT the power is quite immense but after a while I am used to it and it doesn't thrill me, what does make my hairs stand on end is the visceral noise, the vibrations, the smell its the theatre that is addictive not the speed that proponents of EVs go on about, for me the numb silent running of a 2 tonne EV is so dull I would rather cycle about :lol:

22 hours ago, Ponsonby said:

I dont believe they will have the infrastrucure in place so cant see it happening.

you aren't wrong!!

This Article was written by a friend of mine, and gives a brief insite into the costs involved

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/have-we-entered-golden-age-stupidity-prof-ian-bitterlin/?trackingId=YEWhM%2BIRRW6yhYGozExVag%3D%3D

Interesting article, but not sure where he gets the big numbers from? Its not going to be a cost to each taxpayer because the infrastructure needs to be privately created. Is petrol currently distributed by infrastructure provided completely by the government? A friend of mine is the chief exec of one of the largest renewable energy companies in Europe, he does joke about me and my dinosaur cars but he does talk a lot of sense around renewable energy creation and the fact that his company produces so much unspent electricity at night that they have to store it en-masse, which is when most cars will recharge. There are already billions of pounds worth of projects in the pipeline to ramp up electricity production through renewables.

Really the issue seems to be more around the status quo, people making 3 mile commutes to work in a car on their own as a behaviour will need to disappear. That we demand we can completely refill the tank and get 200 miles of range in less than a minute. It's the mindset that nothing changes and tech has to fit around us that is the challenge, the private sector will lap up the opportunity to make money whether its building offshore wind farms or creating an industry that recycles batteries etc.   

Edited by coldel