How many members dont drive Zeds or any Nissan

GranTurismoEra

19 minutes ago, AMT said:

I agree with you Dan in terms of the specialness (is that a word? lol) of a car, the TT or a TTS doesn't match the theatre of the Z, I would tell people simply getting in it to go to work was an occasion.  Full of cheap plastics but the cascading dash and low down position made you feel like you were in something special (and then my Scorpion/Cobra set up kicked in!).  

I'm trying to find a sporty coupe that gives me the same sort of feeling even if I do need to think what else make its.  The TTS doesn't sound that good and I really don't like the farting gear changes but I could live with it.  The special comes from the low down, hemmed in feeling, it really is so different to a S3, Golf R etc so you will feel (pardon the expression as I know most will use the RS for it) like your in a mini supercar.  Were all big kids at the end of the day you buy with your heart, I used to see the Z with its longish bonnet, rear wheel drive and big engine (for most peoples budgets anyway) as a really poor persons 599 lol 

Its remarkably small compared to most stuff these days too, so fits easily in most spaces/garages.  Already been on the titty forums for a while doing what I did on here long ago, finding everything I can about them.. Main concern is the seat trims that seem to fall apart....hmm.  I did look at Mk2 RS but then when the MK3 TTS looks better and goes just as fast I'd rather have the new one.

On a note to your other comment, I have never..driven an MX5, which I think I need to rectify at some point lol. I've sat in some and thought... this is tiny lol.

ROFL :lol: a poor persons 599. I'm not going to lie. The 599 is a classic along with the Extreme 700HP 599XX. Regarding the TT. They still have the dreaded window mechanism issue. If you can put up with these things then I dont see why a Tech pack TT MK3 wouldnt be a goer. Prices are coming down too. Those farting noises are the best youre going to get unless you go N/A or better yet 5 cylinder.

• Like 1

Yeah the MK3 interior is lovely place to be. (just watch out for the seat issue, the plastic comes away from the headrest and all the way down the side due to poor strength clips and Audi don't cover it in the warranty despite it being a world wide known issue.  If you buy Audi used and its there I've spoken to Audi UK they should be doing it as a gesture apparently...so they must know!) (£1K to put right I think).

A guy at my work bought a Mk2 TTS when I bought my 350Z and he still has his.  He's replaced the magnetic suspension bits but besides that engine etc has been fine.  I remember having a ...spirited drive with him in the rain going home and he just sat right up my backside lol  Very nice cars btw, nice M3 looks tidy!

1 minute ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Those farting noises are the best youre going to get unless you go N/A or better yet 5 cylinder.

They are an acquired taste for sure. I did like how you could hear the exhaust inside the car though...because in most Bmw's you can't hear the exhaust inside the cabin. 

1 minute ago, AMT said:

Very nice cars btw, nice M3 looks tidy!

Thanks. :thumbs:

On 20/02/2020 at 10:23, Lee370Z said:

The ZF8 auto is a great gearbox and I had it in a 640d. I really like an auto in heavy stop/start traffic and they work well in a daily I reckon. On a spirited drive though I always miss the extra interaction of a third pedal and a stick. 

This is my first auto car that I've owned although I have driven some others decades ago but the technology of the auto boxes in the last decade is so much better than it used to be. 

It is my daily driver so it's great in the little bit of traffic I do see on my way to work but honestly even when I do decide to drive it in a more spirited fashion I really don't miss having a gear stick/clutch pedal. 

...And why would I not?

Well I grew up watching the fantastic BTCC of the 90's as well as watching Burns, McRae etc in the WRC and all their cars had sequential gearboxes which I always aspired to have one day. 

I can choose to keep my hands firmly on the steering wheel whilst driving fast and still change gears easily by using the paddle shifters or if I want to use the gear lever like a sequential box pushing backwards and forwards to go up & down the gears. Not to mention my feet are then more free as well to concentrate on just the brake and accelerator pedals without having to jump on a clutch pedal for gear changes.  :thumbs:

• Like 1

Horses for courses. I loved the PDK in the Porker, but nothing can match the feeling of your own perfectly-blipped downchanges with a stick. I’d rather go slower and be more involved these days. 

It does depend on the car though. For example, I wouldn’t buy a manual Rolls Royce, but I wouldn’t buy a DCT Mini either. My old 645 was transformed just by being manual, but I wouldn’t consider a modern 911 without paddles tbh. 

26 minutes ago, scobie140 said:

Bad time of year to try and sell. Plenty of time wasters arranging visits then not turning up though :bang:

Yeah know the feeling. Currently got my Subaru wrx sti up for sale. Very little interest and those that have contacted me have made silly offers.

• Like 1

Sometimes a good thing not hearing it in the cabin due to drone. I get that with my short tails now when accelerating its fine at 60-80 mph cruise. I suppose insulating the trunk area with some sound proofing is the next step. Thats where the Germans are superior. 

On a side note, my brothers friend just bought a Mark 3 TT in manual. I was thinking he should have just got the auto DSG and TTS but that was at least 6K more. His brother had a C Class 2016 coupe in Manual. I said to him that's an odd car to get a manual in. Something very 90s about having a manual in an upmarket or luxury/ GT coupe

I think throttle blipping works better with older cars. The new cars are all electronic pedals and some have delays. Probably worth mapping the throttle in some of these modern cars

Edited by GranTurismoEra

2 hours ago, shaunRS said:

Yeah know the feeling. Currently got my Subaru wrx sti up for sale. Very little interest and those that have contacted me have made silly offers.

Yeah its hit and miss, I have been quite lucky when selling my cars they usually went within a couple of weeks its just having the right mindset to deal with the chancers, I usually try to put disclaimers on my adverts saying low ballers will be ignored - but equally be open minded, when a chap with a strong Irish accent called me and said he would fly over from Ireland to buy my Celica GT4 at the asking price I was skeptical, anyway a week later there he was in Richmond paying the cash into my account and driving it back home :thumbs:

16 minutes ago, coldel said:

Yeah its hit and miss, I have been quite lucky when selling my cars they usually went within a couple of weeks its just having the right mindset to deal with the chancers, I usually try to put disclaimers on my adverts saying low ballers will be ignored - but equally be open minded, when a chap with a strong Irish accent called me and said he would fly over from Ireland to buy my Celica GT4 at the asking price I was skeptical, anyway a week later there he was in Richmond paying the cash into my account and driving it back home :thumbs:

That's because it was a stunner and he probably realised it was too good an opportunity to turn down. Cars like you had in that condition are rare so it's a much different market place.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 11:27, coldel said:

Had someone today ask if i would take £10,000 for it. Its up for sale for £15,500. I now see why people use places like we buy any car now.

Edited by shaunRS
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, shaunRS said:

Had someone today ask if i would take £10,000 for it. Its up for sale for £15,500. I now see why people use places like we buy any car now.

Its mental how people will try and knock so much off without bothering their hole to come and even see the car first. Why even bother? its always going to get knocked back. 

• Like 1

I had a guy offer me £15,000 for my 2017 Nismo at the time worth at least £24,000 with less the 9k miles. I laughed  and hung up. The guy called back asking why I dropped the phone. I said he was trying to knock off £9,000 without seeing the car. I asked him did you read the advert? All I got was stuttering so I hung up again. Eventually I sold to we buy any car for £2000 more. 

Another guy called claiming he would have bought it, but he was going on holiday. Uh huh lol

As soon as he says £10,000 its not rude to tell him, "no speak english" and hang up 

That really annoys me about the modern world. How can you judge a cars value on some photos on the internet? 

I'm not that old but even i remember the olden days of viewing a car before even considering an offer on it and you negotiate face to face :) 

4 hours ago, Ian said:

That really annoys me about the modern world. How can you judge a cars value on some photos on the internet? 

I'm not that old but even i remember the olden days of viewing a car before even considering an offer on it and you negotiate face to face :) 

Same here. 

When I went to buy a 350Z originally it was from a place in Barry Ian so you know that's a bit of a drive from where we are. I was going to see this black Zed and the garage knew I was coming down but when I got there they said they were sorry but they had just sold it to someone over the phone who saw it on the internet. 

Crazy just buying a car like that without even test driving it or seeing it in person imho. :bangin:

Luckily for me they had another Zed which was the gunmetal one I ended up buying so it wasn't a wasted journey in the end but I did kind of prefer the black Zeds colour over the gun metal. 

Edited by GMballistic

15 hours ago, scobie140 said:

Its mental how people will try and knock so much off without bothering their hole to come and even see the car first. Why even bother? its always going to get knocked back. 

During my recent hunt for a car I did make a few cheeky offers. However this was only where I thought the dealer was chancing his luck with an overpriced car. Was only trying to knock a couple of grand off though. Since then most of those cars are still up for sale and the dealers have reduced their price and most have phoned me to see if I am still interested....

9 hours ago, GMballistic said:

When I went to buy a 350Z originally it was from a place in Barry Ian so you know that's a bit of a drive from where we are. I was going to see this black Zed and the garage knew I was coming down but when I got there they said they were sorry but they had just sold it to someone over the phone who saw it on the internet. 

Crazy just buying a car like that without even test driving it or seeing it in person imho. :bangin:

So many garages now are asking for a refundable deposit to hold the car for you until you have viewed it. I asked one garage to make sure the car was clean and indoors so I could view it properly and was told they would not do that unless I had placed the holding deposit.

Since I was covering some distance viewing, I think I ended up with 3 deposits outstanding at one point. Got them all back though.

I don't have a Nissan any more :( as of yesterday the GTR-R35 has gone, just the wife's Qashqai left so that's my excuse for staying on here - well that and the abuse, gotta have some banta :lol:

O I went German if you were wondering :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ponsonby said:

So many garages now are asking for a refundable deposit to hold the car for you until you have viewed it. I asked one garage to make sure the car was clean and indoors so I could view it properly and was told they would not do that unless I had placed the holding deposit.

Since I was covering some distance viewing, I think I ended up with 3 deposits outstanding at one point. Got them all back though.

Big risk. Especially when they threaten to not refund it after rejecting 3 -5 test drives or losing out on sales on the saturday. "subject to test drive" couldnt give a valid reason. Refund rejected due to car being prepped, serviced, MOT etc :lol: