NC 500 in my 370Z

Hi All

I'm very keen to arrange to experience the NC500 

I'd be very interested if anyone would like to join / participate in / or even offer advice share thier experience of the 500. 

I've recently acquired a 370Z and think the NC500 would be a great first road trip.

Many thanks in advance

G

I didn't do the NC500 but went to John'o'groats and Ullapool on the motorbike last September. 

We were having to stop a 2/3 times a day for petrol and not many places sold premium out in the sticks. If I was in the Zed I would definatly take a couple of bottles of octane booster. 

What time of year are you planning on going? We were lucky with the weather for September (apart from some ice rain when I wasn't wearing my waterproofs), it was the end of Midge season and we missed alot of the NC500 tourists.

I can imagine in August it would be a much less enjoyable experiance.

Sam

Hello

Many thanks for your input and sharing your experience very much appreciated, I hear what your saying about the petrol, I've a friend who did it in his defender and spoke a lot about range anxiety.

Was looking to do this in the spring 

I've driven bits of in  in my boring company car so in the Z would be something special

Cheers

Irn Bru has done an organised trip the last few years, so I’m sure he’ll offer his experience and some tips.

I’ve did it a few times and know most of it really well, my top tip would be to do it anti clockwise, up the east coast first.  No need to worry about super unleaded, plenty in Thurso and Ullapool.  Venture into the interior if you’ve time, awesome roads to stretch the legs in.

From Tongue round it’s a bit tight in places, mostly single track with a LOT of idiots (mostly camper vans) that don’t know how to use passing places properly.

other than that, take your time and enjoy :thumbs:

If you’ve not did the Peebles triangle, Hamilton via Biggar - Peebles - Selkirk - Moffat, back up the old A74, a great practice and will test your Zeds and your capabilities :teeth:

• Like 1

When Irn Bru organised the drive I went on (amazing trip @Irn Bru) we weaved up the west coast then cut back down from JOG down the middle, as apparently the east coast is less spectacular. I think we went mid May, traffic wise wasn't too bad and we only had a splattering of rain over five days which was pretty lucky. 

• Like 1

Many thanks to all of you for your reply's. Very much appreciated

I like the sound of the Peebles triangle, Hamilton via Biggar - Peebles - Selkirk - Moffat, back up the old A74, as I live close by.

Going to try this .... ASAP ..... weather permitting

Thanks again guys

Cheers

G

Really great trip, want to go again this year except I sold my Zed! Beautiful scenery and roads are great too.  We went in August and the weather was lovely the whole time bar a couple of showers while we were driving.  Drove up to Scotland from Norfolk so was about 1500 miles total.

IMG_20190805_114225.jpg.028cc5a1974638c59ea937c606d55503.jpg

Theres a couple of NC500 roadtrips I've organised if you want to have a search through the Events section, loads of info there for you to peruse at your leisure. I've done it countless times in the Zed and motorbike over the years, canny believe a fellow Jock hasn't done it yet lol. Loads of photos and videos in the posts too. If you need any help organising or routing etc just give me a shout 

On 13/02/2020 at 11:08, GranTurismoEra said:

Is it best to avoid going after May and before September? Due to how busy it can get? I know that some people just go along to john o groats and come back to take the mid highlands from Tongue back down to Inverness instead of sticking to the coast because of how busy it gets in peak times

I'd say defo give June July and August a miss, May and September would be my advice, even then its mobbed, but doable

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 16:31, coldel said:

Yes the accommodation even in May was quite pricey for what it was! And there was a fair few other road trippers out there. It was brilliant though, driving in the sunshine one minute, then through a hail storm the next :lol: 

I'll never forget the day when the weather was really mixed for most of the day with roadster members constantly stopping to put their roofs down and back up every 10 minutes :lol:, great trip that was with cracking lads & lassies.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, AntelopeSam said:

Was planning too take a 2 week drive to Tuscany and back in May, might have to take another trip up to Scotland instead now.

Scenery will be better anyway! 

I don't think that would be a very good or responsible idea:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2084053/coronavirus-locals-on-nc500-route-in-plea-to-potential-visitors-to-stay-away-during-outbreak/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...