Twisting Gear Nob

hicksi

Hey Team,

I've recently bought a Z with a custom milled gear knob. Shifting itself is fine, however the knob can be twisted left to right. I presume the original leather knob didn't turn like that.

Is this a job where I'm gonna have to pull up the surround trim and hold the shift shaft with some grips and tighten it?

Any help is appreciated!

Yep you've got it, the knob is threaded on so worth just giving it a tighten first.

If it keeps coming loose in the future might be worth taking it off, putting a drop of loctite on the threads then putting it back on. 

Just don't use too much or else it'll never budge again :lol:

8 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Yep you've got it, the knob is threaded on so worth just giving it a tighten first.

If it keeps coming loose in the future might be worth taking it off, putting a drop of loctite on the threads then putting it back on. 

Just don't use too much or else it'll never budge again :lol:

+1 for this, use the low strength loctite if you've got it. 

Awesome guys, thanks for the response.

I like the rubber washer idea, i presume it screws down to a 'lip' and the bottom of the shaft. So the washer will allow it to get some bite...

Failing this ill grab the tube of loctite, albeit sparingly :lol:

Cheers all, will let you know how i get on.

Just checking in guys. The particular knob i have, the top of the threaded shifter shaft contacts a rubber 'stop' up inside the knob. This is slightly worn, so the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,R are upside down when its 'tight'.

I shoved two small washers up inside the knob and these have packed in to the point the numbers are the right way up now.

Thanks for the advice, went out for a spin, knob seems good. Now I have a flashing airbag light. ffs :lol: