Goodwood festival of speed

fergie1471

I’ve been once as I fluked it last year. I work for the timing company (TSL) that does the timing for the courses there so was up in the tower on the start line for the whole event. 

Great event and would love to go as a spectator sometime as there’s so much on show there beyond just the hill itself. 

• Like 1

Waaaaayyyyyy too busy these days for me sadly. I’d rather they halved the number of tickets available and doubled the price, it would make for a much more enjoyable day. 

Unless it rains, then Goodwood Bog is no fun at all :lol: 

Been a few times, last year went on the last day and it rained all day we left early, we were literally running from one tent to the next it wasnt enjoyable at all. Also the cars were literally driving up the hill at 30% normal speed. I went previously when it was glorious sunny and it was a brilliant day out. Worth a go at least once just so you can say you have done it! You get up close to amazing cars in the pits and the F1 cars giving it the beans up the hill is a sensational noise.

• Like 2

Probably the best motoring/motorsport event i've ever been to.  The company i used to work for provides their ticketing system so i got a pair of 4 day comps a few years ago and an invite up to the balcony to have a drink with Lord March (which i skipped!).  Friday was the best day for me as it was waaaay quieter so you could take your time and see everything.  Saturday was good but busy, and by Sunday lunchtime we were knackered and left at about 12.

As it is the best annual show worldwide, of course it is going to be busy but as said above my advice, having been quite regularly, is to go on a Thursday or Friday to check out the 'off-hill' action and then watch the hill action on the Saturday or Sunday and vary your viewing places during the day's action.

Arrive early - yes there will be queues even at 6am, but there will be longer queues later and the stands/hill will be more packed as the mornings go on.  Try and pic spots opposite the big screens so you see more of the hill action and use the ear pieces to hear the live commentary.

Recommend you you get yourself to the top of the hill at some point as the arrival of the cars/bikes etc and the antics many get up to are worth seeing ;)  The other fav bit for me is the assembly area before the runs and which is also used by the likes of Terry Grant and his team.  I also enjoy the rally stage, but not everyone's taste so it is relatively crowd free.

And for anyone who can't get along and can't be doing with the crowds, remember the whole weekend is streamed live (the presentation is excellent)  so you can watch from your armchair and keep dry!

Enjoy!!

Great day out, my favourite event in the motoring year (2nd to LeMans 24hr).  I find Friday is quieter but with still a good buzz around it and some epic cars.  Of course if it rains the event is not going to be all it could be but hey we live in the UK not LA so its the gamble we take. 

Advice, get there early as there is a lot to get around if you are only there for the day.  And the supercar paddock is brilliant, particularly when they are all leaving or returning from the blast up the hill.  :drive1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 18:57, fergie1471 said:

How many people have been to goodwood before? Iv always fancied going but its a treck from where i live. Iv just got tickets for this year and cant wait. Change my mind every day what Im excited to see most :teeth:

Much prefer the revival and watch the period racing all day on the circuit which is a time capsule. Simply brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...