Ecowarrior parking ticket

HEADPHONES

Talk about deluded, people who get their panties in a bunch about flights, SUVs, meat eating etc need to get a grip on things that actually do make a difference like global energy production and cement manufacture.

It might have helped if everyone on the Titanic had picked up a pint glass and started scooping out water, but it would only have bought them a few more minutes, not a safe trip to New York.

P.S. The printing of that card, has a carbon foot print. Offset it all you want, you can’t get back the energy and release that occurred producing, delivering and placing it.

• Like 1

I was going to say - cost to planet of producing leaflet and distributing it = yes

Chances of that leaflet causing behavioural change = low to zero

I agree with people that we need to change the way we behave as a human race on the planet, but it the ineptitude and stupidity of those trying to educate the masses about it really continues to make them a laughing stock. 

As... debatable (?) as the topic of that leaflet is, it’s actually quite nice to see the sources of the claims contained within being provided. I’d even go as far to say ghat the bottom half of that is pretty well written. Too often things like this make the claims and just expect you to accept them as truth.

That’s it though, that’s the extent of positives I take from that. :lol:

Its definitely better than stating 'the world will end and its your fault' for sure :lol:

The major fall down of most of these activists at the more 'active' end of the scale is that their impact is relatively minor. They effectively take on a parental role moaning at the children around them for behaving in a certain way - even if they are right, what do kids do when they are told off, many  slope off and ignore the parent/rebel. The most effective way is adult behaviour, where you take a proper platform and speak objectively about the challenges and the consequences. All the basics of transactional analysis really. 

Sure this might get attention, but is it going to change behaviour?

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Sure this might get attention, but is it going to change behaviour?

The vast majority of people will act in their own immediate interest and will consider (and possibly even implement) any number of non-invasive or mildly irksome measures that "do good". They may eat fewer animals per week, change to plant based milk, get a bag for life, try and cut down on single use plastics. These make one feel good and show others what a caring and considerate person one is. These things they do will make no real difference and the group in question is known as, normal people.

The bulk of the remainder will positively act in the greater good; they will buy electric cars, take fewer flights, sort the recycling properly, switch to a green energy supplier and even go about putting leaflets on SUVs or tweeting about global heating. These things make one feel tremendously virtuous, so much so, that one will positively advocate theses activities to anyone who will listen, and even those that won't. These things they do will make a very tiny difference and the group in question is known as, eco-mentalists.

The remainder of the remainder, a very tiny percentage of all the humans, will do as instructed by very rich individuals and organisations. The things they could (but won't) do, would make an enormous difference to the future of humanity, and the group in question is known as, politicians.

• Haha 1

I get the whole climate change thing. It's obviously true and it matters. But, having encountered them, the people who are preachy about this particular issue strike me as incredibly smug. I wonder how many of them have kids. I'd say to them if you practice what you preach, don't have kids because having one child will have a far greater impact on the environment over a lifetime than driving any kind of car. 

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

We now have around 50 bags for life in the cupboard as the misses keeps forgetting to take them shopping but its all good as i am apparently saving the planet. 

And you’re not alone. 

Whilst it’s gleefully reported that usage of “single use” bags are down 90%, the big supermarkets will not publish the sales figures for “bags for life”. 

This is obviously tremendous eco news, there’s 2% fewer bags than there once was, but now they’re 300% more durable and long lasting! And there’s the small matter of them being 20p each in my local supermarket? Who gets the money again?

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/no-plastic-bag-sales-arent-down-90

15 hours ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

We now have around 50 bags for life in the cupboard as the misses keeps forgetting to take them shopping but its all good as i am apparently saving the planet. 

hahahahaaha!!! glad its not just me. Whenever I get in the wifes car I always put 2 or 3 "bags for life" in the boot as she NEVER remembers to take them and always ends up buying 2 or 3 more each shop. We have millions of them now. :(

15 hours ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

Our cupboard is worth a fortune with all the bags stuffed in it  :lol:

• 1 month later...

I wonder if they go round sticking them on high performance saloons and estate cars as well or just 4x4s? Don't a lot of them these days (particularly the smaller 'cross-over types') come with pokey little 1.4 engines and hybrids? Yet you can drive round in a discreet saloon car with a massive great big V8 and the environmentalists don't bat an eye lid.

2 hours ago, grumpyoldjanner said:

I wonder if they go round sticking them on high performance saloons and estate cars as well or just 4x4s? Don't a lot of them these days (particularly the smaller 'cross-over types') come with pokey little 1.4 engines and hybrids? Yet you can drive round in a discreet saloon car with a massive great big V8 and the environmentalists don't bat an eye lid.

My wife and daughter both have different cars with the tiny 3 cylinder turbo petrol engines. Economy is poor and not even vaguely close to the advertised levels. My family wagon, 4x4 crossover is a 1.6 turbo petrol and is more economical even just pottering about.